overall

RATINGS: 1601   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop loverís delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 10, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Pours a deep garnet, with a rather thin beige head and exhibits decent lacing. Nose is floral, citrusy hops, with hints of malt. Initial taste is more malt and somewhat sweet, the top light, the finish is quite hoppy. I like this a lot, but it doesnít strike me like other good barley wines do. While Iím not slamming it (ícause I wouldnít ever pass a glass of it up!), I donít think it measures well against my favorite barley wines. Still yummy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2005
bottle. I shared this big bottle with my best friend who works for a company called GenetiPork. Hog Heaven - GenetiPork, gotta love the irony. poured a copper color without much head. first sip was very hoppy, but became smoother as I worked my way down the glass. strong but very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 Very hoppy beer with a nice amber red appearence. Aroma of hops. Excellent example of a good barely wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (2086) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - JAN 8, 2005
22oz. bomber: Iíve had this one hanging around for about 10 months now, so I figured it was time to give it a shot. There is somewhat of a ruby tint to the amber color. It is a touch hazy. Mine had a large off-white head that subsided quickly. The aroma is nice. There is the typical malty sweetness, but there are definitely notes of hops here. Mainly grapefruit to the nose, but also some grassiness. Tastes good. A rich malty sweet body, but the sweetness is nicely balanced by the hops. Slight taste of grapefruit and a hint of bitterness too. Very nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Bottle: Beautiful ruby amber color with a thick, small tan head. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, very slick & oily feel. Aroma: lots of fresh hops, fruit, grass, spicy alcohol, and some mild bread/caramel. Taste: fresh hops, grass, vegitables, spicy alcohol, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and a mild wood/caramel note. Not very balanced, but still well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
A BAHLEY-wine for New Years. Split bottle 3 ways. Kind of sharp from the alcohol, maybe this was a young bottle. Really good stuff though

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Pailhead. Copper colored. Sparse off-white head. Decent flavors of fruit and caramel. Lots of residual sugar. Good balance of hops, although not as hoppy as West coast BWís. Alcohol is hidden well. Solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 1, 2005
12oz bottle around 3 years old...Still has a big Columbus nose though...which Iím not so sure I like. Pungent. like overripe tangerines in the supermarket florescent. Columbus really seems phenolic to me, band-aid, solvent slightly. This has been my homebrweing experience with it as well....maybe they just need to "blow off" a bit, it does mellow as it breathes. Strong melanoidinal malt character pervades the hop onslaught. Another Columbus thing(when heavily used) is when I burp, I taste vegetables, like carrots and steamed brocoli. Wierd. Big, thick beer. The more I drink BWs, the more I donít care for the thick, syrupy feel of many. This truly rates low for "drinkability" which is a term I hate!! But its tough to drink. It tastes allright, though. At some point, I loved BWs, as evidenced by over 2 dozen in my cellar. Now Iím wishing Iíd have bought Dupont or De Ranke instead. Maybe it is only this beer or just my mood after having drank a St. B tripel, but this isnít the grand night cap I had desired. Instead, Iím choking it down. I know that recently, I adored a Rogue 2000 Old Crusty as a nightcap and my previous tries with this beer lead me to believe that while it may fit the description of BW perfectly, the pudding is lacking something.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4849) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Dark red color with no head. Slight barley aroma and taste. A little bit of fruit in the taste, mixed in with some bread and yeast. It didnít seem like it was too well mixed together yet. Some time would probably do this well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 27, 2004
candy apple red. hoppy nose, some carmel. this full bodied brews is smooth and warming and quite bitter.