overall

RATINGS: 1486   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - MAY 15, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2004 This should be called IPA Dark or Barley Wine VS. IPA. It's really unique. It's mostly an IPA, but has a little darker, fuller malt. This is a very good surprise. RERATE 092904: I bought this again to see if it would be like Hop15; a fruity and malty double IPA. It's kind of like that, but it's just a little more on the side of the barley wine scale barley. It has that fig flavor along with a lot of hops. I think it would be very good with some age. Aroma does remind me of hop 15, but has just a little more fig and caramel instead of tropical fruit. This has has just a bit more bite. But you know, the two are very similar. Hop15 is a lot better to me though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 11, 2003
An amber body with an off white frothy small head. The aroma is of hops, grapefruit and pine. The flavor is bitter and very hoppy up front with that grapefruit flavor. Not any malt sweetness like the side of the bottle suggests. I don't understand what people constitute as a barley wine. This takes like an IPA. It is good, but when I buy a barley wine I expect something different than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1417) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2003
This strikes me as more of an IPA than a barley wine. The aroma reminds me of some kinda weed I used to smoke, which is not neccesarily a bad thing. Kinda piney. Nice ruby brown color, off white head with plenty of lacing. Wonderful hop flavor. Not much malt, but thats OK. Still not convinced this is a barley wine, but very good brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2006 Aroma of an IPA. Citrusy and a little fruity. Dark amber in color, pour with a large head. Wonderful appearance. Flavor that would shame most Imperial or double IPA’s, with both citrus and a carmel malt taste. I waited a long time to have this one, I don’t know why, but Stupidity comes to mind. A true hop lover’s dream.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - APR 10, 2003
Could a guy with sinus problems miss the aroma here? DON'T THINK SO. Like sticking your head in a bag of hops. I don't think I have EVER had a beer with so pronounced an aroma. Not like I have never had a dry hopped beer before in my life. Think that perhaps were this not a barleywine with enough malt backbone that I would be spitting out hops. I have had this before and must have had my head planted way too far up my ass because I just don't remember this assault. It's a nice one - getting the floral bouquet/bitter onslaught rolling not so gracefully toward the hint of caramel malt so that a weenie like me doesn't run home to mommy. With all this going on the alcohol strength isn't even a consideration in the flavor. If I eat my vegetables can I have another bottle?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - APR 8, 2003
Definitely a very bold, bitter and beautiful beer that gets all of my high respect. This one pours a nectary reddish orange color, very clear with a thin creamy tanned head. The aroma is predominated by citrusy florals and caramel malts. The taste is almost completely caramel malts upfront followed by a serious hop bitterness which makes for a beautiful contrast from the initial overbearing sweetness of the malt. Some serious alcohol here that is hidden beyond belief..i cant even tell that 9.2% ABV is in here until it hits ya like a ton of bricks. The carbonation is done very nicely...light and syrupy body...nice mouthfeel..good contrasts and sweet, dry malty ending. Another excellent brew from Avery.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2005 Amber color; creamy head; long lasting lace; Strong hop aroma: with citrus undertones. Well balanced creamy palate with spicy hops--very smooth. Thank you KrisB and a happy birthday to me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 30, 2003
Full taste, huge hops, almost too hoppy. Nice and bitter though. Well balanced mouthfeel. Good aftertaste. Could be more complex, but other than that, this beer is on point.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 27, 2003
This is a very nice beer. Dark amber in color and just a bit similar to Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2003
Aroma was not much to speak of. Color is a deep orange. Head was sticky, sugary and quite lacey. Big hop and malt flavor, not to sweet. I love hoppy barley wines.