overall

RATINGS: 1482   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAR 11, 2003
I like Bigfoot better. Its not as pungent or spicy and more drinkable, but its not as tasty to my somewhat immature palate. Noted some deep caramel (maybe cinnamon?) fruity notes. Very subtle alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2003
A really very nice barleywine. Has an earthy crystal maltness to it, alone with some iron-y earthy hops (I know it's Columbus but it doesn't seem like it) - a really nice balance. Not too sweet, incredible body, great hopping. Way up there for me. Good alch. balance for such an animal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JMerritt (1764) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2003
Sampled at the Peoria International Beer Festival. Larger hop flavor that I was expecting, which came as a nice surprise. Aroma is rather fruity and wine like, which makes the hop agressiveness even more surprising. I would like to try this aged a bit and a tad more mellowed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - MAR 6, 2003
good solid barleywine. orange-red colour, thin head, aroma has a hint of tea leaves. big hop taste which blends nicely with a malty sweetness. - lots of flavours - all very strong. intensifoes as beer warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheTsunami (162) - Arizona, USA - MAR 6, 2003
Deep red/orange color. Just a wisp of a head on an aggressive pour. Initial aroma was mildly fruity which became strong grapefruit. Then segued into the most incredible boquet of hops and pine and eatrh that I think I have ever smelled. Unfortunately it tasted the same, and I am not a hophead by any stretch of the imagination. The end, the very very end of a swallow, held the smallest amount of maltiness to try to balance this out for me. Needs aging for me to begin to think of enjoying.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Huge american hop aroma--citruicy as all get out. Rich almost exaggeratedly malty flavor, with large amount of residual sweetness to counteract the hop blast. I agree with this being borderling imperial pale ale territory, but the maltiness screams barleywine enough for me to agree. This is a great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Frank (2727) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2003 Huge hoppy nose with notes of spice, pine, and citrus. I can smell this from three feet away. Has a garnet color so attractive, I considered asking it out on a date. The massive head only encouraged me more. It left so much lace I actually had difficulty scrubbing it off my glass. Sweet front. Piney flavors dominate. Syrupy mouthfeel, sticky and thick. Finish is sharp on the tongue, massive hop flavor grows and grows for for a full minute after the beer is swallowed. Generally, I like heavily hopped barley wines that but the earthy/piney flavors here are just too much. This is a great candidate for aging. I could see this mellowing to perfection in a few years. When it's young, though, it's just too abrasive.

WabashMan (1009) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - FEB 21, 2003
A nice dark amber color and light tan head start this one. Aroma is VERY nice. Hoppy, but with a nice dryness to it and something I just can't seem to place. The flavor of this one is like NOTHING I've had before. This is very different from the Bells Third Coast Old Ale (which is categorized as a BW), and I must say that I like it a lot. A VERY nice beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - FEB 19, 2003
Amber/light red beer with a medium sized head. It settles but sticks around and leaves nice lacework. Intensely sweet,hoppy(sappy,piney,resiny)aroma is just huge. Mouthfeel is somewhat watery but body is huge. Sharp bitter,sweet-malt flavors lead to a brown sugary,sweet,finish.The hops linger for minutes in the throat. Very drinkable for big beer.I always enjoy this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Copper/amber color with a small off-white head. Aroma is refreshing, crisp hops, no alcohol is detected. For a 9.2% beer this is very drinkable. The malts come out as it warms to hit the tip and sides of the tongue but the hops come out in force at the back. A very creamy feel with a saliva inducing aftertaste. This is more drinkable than most pales's and IPA's I have tried at half the ABV. A real find.