overall

RATINGS: 1485   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

zonmei (36) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 6, 2013
My favorite beer ever! I thought myself a beer snob after living in Europe for so long. Even after coming back to the states my friends didn’t like IPAs so I stayed away from brewing them. I do love some barley wine though. This beast is THE best of the best. It encompasses everything you love in a barley wine: mouth feel, malt, super strong ABV. Plus it has the added smack in the mouth of a great IPA. I picked it up at my local shop and they usually have RateBeer ratings on the rack. This beauty didn’t have anything and I thought I had discovered a diamond in the rough. I don’t mind at all finding an established all star!

spacemonster (77) - Igo, California, USA - OCT 25, 2013
This has always been one of my top 5 beers. Aroma is sweet awesome malts with spices just there in the proper amounts. Very carbonated and cloudy. Taste is oh, man this is soooooooooo good. A pumped up barley-wine with over 100 IBU’s. The hops ricochet around your palate and set a standard for barleywine-alt ale’s. Palate is chewy and yet effervescent, yards of flavor. Slight toast slight caramel. Hops dance with the carbonation. This is the best barley-wine ever made.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
AlaskaBrew (4) - Fairbanks, Alaska, USA - OCT 14, 2007 does not count
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2007 Robust head bursting with huge, fresh centennial hop scent. Pine, citrus, and more pine. Hophead delight. Huge bitterness (100 IBU) perfectly counterbalanced by caramel toffee sweetness. Sweet and malty but not cloying. Warming alcohol finish followed closely by great hop bitterness. Barleywine meets IIPA. Perfection in a bottle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
astrivian (16) - Colorado, USA - JUN 15, 2009
This is a fantastic beer. Well balanced maltiness and hops. Fantastic aroma with a caramel taste, again balanced with hops. Awesome.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2005 Amber color; creamy head; long lasting lace; Strong hop aroma: with citrus undertones. Well balanced creamy palate with spicy hops--very smooth. Thank you KrisB and a happy birthday to me.

Braudog (5627) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - OCT 6, 2006
Thanks to Alan at Coastal Wine Connection. The aroma is awesome! Brown sugar, lightly grapey. Warm fruity and alcoholy. This is the best barleywine I’ve ever had (spoken by a guy who usually doesn’t care for the overpowering candy-alcohol in them). Musty, lightly smoky. I want some cheese!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
rmeinert (7) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2007 does not count
I often visit Avery’s tasting room (at least once every two weeks) because I live very close to it and they produce the best beers in the state. Because of this I get to talk to the men who brew it all the time. I was once told by a couple of tem that it is a cardinal sin to age the hog. I understand their point that the hops begin to deteriorate over time but, at the same time other beautiful flavors emerge. I recently drank a bottle of this that had been cellared since 2001. It is true that the hop flavor had virtually disapeared but the malt characters were amazing. I know it is very difficult to buy a bottle of beer this good and wait to drink it, especially when you know its flavor will change so drastically, but it is definitely worth a try. Also, if the bottle is relatively undisturbed before you pour it you will et the hops right at the end.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
badbeer (434) - Iowa, USA - DEC 23, 2007
Pours a murky amber color with an off-white head leaving sticky lacing all around the glass. The smell of this one is awesome, it has some caramel in the background, but mostly consists of citrus fruits, and a very strong smell of pineapple. Taste starts out hoppy with combinations of pine and citrus fruits, then hits you with a subtle maltiness, finished with pineapple. Mouthfeel is full bodied and just the right amount of carbonation, truly feels wonderful on the palate. Would I have another, oh hell yes. Definately worth picking up, I will be getting more as soon as I can.

SanfordBrewer (1391) - Sanford, Florida, USA - DEC 20, 2009
UPDATED: APR 21, 2010 (br-btl pk-lbl flying-hogs, 22oz, 9.2%, dry hopped with Colubus, 100IBUs, $7, 32¢/oz)

lct-cpr, moldy-lasting-head, wavy-lace, full-body, ^co2, smooth.

^sweet-crml ^flowery-hop ^rich aroma.
§chclt §rum T1 ^crml-malt bitter-hop-bite §astrngnt-chrd-malt T2 ^alchl-warm ^crml-hop T3.
^rich-hops, mostly-sweet, ^drinkable.

ads135 (2890) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - NOV 20, 2011
Mmmm mmmm. A barley wine, not unlike some of the best available, but spiked with extra hops. This pushes the beer from great, to outstanding. Exquisite on draft. Tried at Angler’s Seafood House in Lawrence (11/1/2009)