RATINGS: 1786   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
In the 1700’s one crafty brewer discovered that a healthy dose of hops and an increased alcohol content perserved his ales during the long voyage to India (as depicted in our label) to quench the thirst of British troops. Today, we tip our hat to that historic innovation by brewing Colorado’s hoppiest pale ale. Avery IPA demands to be poured into your favorite glass to truly appreciate the citrusy, floral bouquet and the rich, malty finish. Brewed by hopheads for hopheads!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2004
Pours a golden color with a dense off white head. The aroma is big and citrusy that screams off the wall hops. The taste is citrus hops all over the tongue with enough malt to give it depth. I say that is well-balanced for an IPA. The mouthfeel is smooth and crisp with a dry finish. Drinkability is only hurt by its intense dry and crisp finish, the hops bruised by tongue, i think.

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2004
I liked this IPA. Dark gold with little head. Stinky. I can't put my finger on it but a little bit of pine in the scent; very distinct aroma. Flavor is very hoppy with no sweetness. Lasting bitterness in the finish. Different than the usual American IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2004
This IPA, to me, had a very skunky taste. A golden light-bodied beer with thin white head that left a decent lace. Went down pretty smooth, but had an extremely bitter aftertaste. One of the hoppiest IPA's I've had. However, I probably wouldn't buy this beer again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3266) - Tennessee, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Medium golden color with a medium head that fades too quickly. Sour flowery hop aroma. The flavor is fairly well balanced but a little weak on both the malt and hops to be top IPA material. A good Bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 8, 2004
Draught @ Papago Brewery The beer an unclouded amber to copper color as it sets in the glass, the head is mountainous in size, creamy in texture with the color a beauteous light tan, the lace a diaphanous skirt to hide the glasses charms. Nose is dominated by the hop floral spiciness, cotton candy sweet, malt laden and a magnificent treat for the olfactory senses, start is ambrosial, nice malt presence, the top is moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is pesky in its acidity; the hops steal the show with their spiciness, droughty aftertaste that lingers on the palate, “WOW”! Another winner from this most magnificent brewery, that has climbed into my top three favorite breweries, right there with Stone and Alesmith, a must try for you hop heads and I must find some of this in the bottle to keep on hand as its just to damn good not to have in the old DBF!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lubiere (11373) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 7, 2004
Gplden beer with slight citrus floral hops. Lots of grapefuit but it is not well balanced with the malt, so the hops come out too assertive.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 7, 2004
Pretty bitter - but it wasn't as balanced as I would have liked, and that affected the palate score. Nice copper appearance. Not bad

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2004
Appears golden-decent-sized head. Smells nice and hoppy, with a little citrus. Flavour is abnormally smooth. When finished, my entire glass was coated with lacings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
highalphafan (18) - albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - FEB 26, 2004
My favorite thing about this beer is the aroma. Flowery and just sort of fresh.Somewhat pale in color for the style. The flavor is not quite as full as I would like. Overall I keep wishing Avery would revamp this as most of their newer beers are so much bigger (yes I know its not an i2pa, but niether is Ten). One can wish I suppose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - FEB 25, 2004
Not my favorite IPA, but still okay. Seems harshly bitter, but not a lot of aroma or hop flavor to back it up. Compared to most of the beers I've had from Avery, this one doesn't have nearly as much balance or interesting things going on. Wish they would make a lighter version of Hog Heaven as an IPA