overall

RATINGS: 1693   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 69   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
In the 1700ís one crafty brewer discovered that a healthy dose of hops and an increased alcohol content perserved his ales during the long voyage to India (as depicted in our label) to quench the thirst of British troops. Today, we tip our hat to that historic innovation by brewing Coloradoís hoppiest pale ale. Avery IPA demands to be poured into your favorite glass to truly appreciate the citrusy, floral bouquet and the rich, malty finish. Brewed by hopheads for hopheads!

Bludwig (31) - USA - JUL 15, 2010
Aroma: Ha, what an ale! I grow hops and today a crisis occurred resulting in a giant cluster of gorgeous brewerís gold hops being ripped from the vine. The scents swirling around while I was trying to save the rest of the plant were amazing and brewerís gold is not that aromatic. That event did make me want to have an IPA and Averyís was on hand. One whiff of this aleís gigantic hop bouquet brings a pleasant feeling and reminds me that it is worth all the time and effort to baby those crazy plants. Citrus is the main scent with an herbal backbone and some dried apricots floating around. There is a very light pine resign scent to it, but very subtle. Smelling this ale is actually brightening the room for me. Appearance: Golden/amber is color with a gorgeously clear body. The head is white and frothy with no hint of dissipating. Lovely. Taste/Palate: Hop slap! Freshly mowed grass with pine needles put in a composter over bitter orange peel is what the initial flavor would have to be described as. The hops and carbonation dance along my tongue to the back of my throat tickling every nerve ending throughout! The light body combined with the overwhelming hop profile makes this one damn dry IPA in the finish. The fact that my saliva glands are in over-drive makes me think that this beer would be a perfect food ale. The acidity is complimentary and after the beer has left my mouth it continues to develop. Overall: I have had most of the IPAs brewed in the state of Colorado and this is the very best one, period. There are other IPAs, and this brewery among many others makes them, but this ale is so easy to drink that it beckons yet another sip, is light enough in alcohol to session and pairs with so many different dishes that there should not be an enlightened refrigerator in the state of Colorado without this beer in it.

PatioCO (6) - Colorado, USA - DEC 8, 2011 does not count
This is my benchmark IPA. Everything is compared and rated against this IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
shanepardue (110) - Raytown, Missouri, USA - JAN 7, 2009
Extremely strong aroma compriised of floral, citrus hop smells. Delicious hoppy IPA with flavor that lingers. This ale is amazing!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pricey290483 (241) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 28, 2014
really enjoyed this good amount of hops nice citrusy with a floral aroma nice bitter finish

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beerjunkie87 (5) - , Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2009 does not count
I had this on draft at a great beer joint and I love this beer. The marigold color is very appealing with a light white head, The flavor is nice and hoppy with floral and citrus notes, I got mostly orange maybe a little lemon. Itís very smooth. I would definitely recommend this as a solid IPA

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ThaddeusBraun (19) - North Carolina, USA - JUN 29, 2009
This is my favorite IPA, i am a manager of a Restaurant & Wine/Beer Shop in NC and this is the best selling beer that i carry. Not only because it is a personal favorite but because of the overall quality. great balance of malts and citrus hops.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jukesk9 (9) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 23, 2011 does not count
I love this beer. It hits you with hops but quickly itís balanced with malt. Itís a staple in my fridge. If you ainít a hophead, though, you wonít like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gmku (294) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 28, 2005
An excellent IPA! Ranks up there w/ Bellís Two Hearted in my book. Supercharged hop taste and aroma, strong and slightly grainy sweet malt backbone. Have to give points for the great label art, as well. A real pleasure to have and to drink, this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
crazyvin (1929) - New York, USA - JUL 16, 2005
really hoppy, havent had one like this in a while. not much malt notes, just some sweetness in the background. poured a golden color thick white head, frothy almost, great retention.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BobbyW3363 (154) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Clear golden color with a nice white head that sticks around. Great aroma of piney hops, citrus, and grapefruit. Excellent hop flavor. I donít know what kinds of hops are used in this (Cascade, I guess), but they add a nice spiciness and a very pleasant bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and a little oily, with the perfect amount of carbonation. Iím a huge fan of IPAs, and this is just how I like them. Definitely one of my favorite IPAs.; very refreshing and highly drinkable. I personally enjoy this more than Bellís Two Hearted. Definitely a great choice for any hophead.