overall

RATINGS: 781   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
We believe in Karma. We suspect most of you do, too. It truly is a global concept. Very simply put, "you get what you give." Inspired by this principle and the wonderful farmhouse and pale ales of Belgium, weíve created Karma Ale, a decidedly fruity and estery ale, intricate in body and nose, all driven by a unique Belgian yeast strain. Remember, good things DO happen to good people. Hereís to being good!

Ernest (6031) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 6, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2013 Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, off-white, mostly diminishing. Body is clear light to medium amber. Aroma is lightly to moderately malty (malt syrup, caramel, cookie), lightly hoppy (apricot). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, lightly acidic, lightly to moderately bitter. Medium body, watery/syrupy texture, lively carbonation. It has that telltale Avery syrupy malt character, and not much else. Nothing Belgian about it either, especially the label art and name/concept...at a glance, it looks like it should be an IPA. This has always been one of their weakest products, and after 7 years since my last review it still is showing no signs of improvement. Hard to believe it actually sells, but I guess see also Fat Tire. Itís hard to believe that a brewer would smell this and say "oh yeah, thatís exactly what we were after!" Itís just so generic and clunky. Very odd.

Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - APR 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 30, 2005 Clear amber in color. Aromatics of yeast and its attributes, malt (toast, biscuit, fruit) along with a touch of herbaceous and floral hops. The combination inevitably leads to an antibiotically and medicinally rich nose, which I find very unpleasant. The aromatics pretty much continue on upon tasting. Boring and dull, definately not as yeasty as I was hoping for. Light in body. Watery texture. I donít care if they used Rochefort yeast or not. I go by what is in the glass and I agree with Ernest by saying this is much more a British Bitter than a Belgian Ale. "Fruity and Estery?" Címon, lets get serious here. This canít possibly be what the brewerís were hoping for. Maybe I set my expectations a bit too high but I was hoping for something funky and fruity like HOTD Ruth (which I consider the pinnacle American example brewed in this style) and this doesnít even come close. Iíll definately try batch # 2 as I hope they revamp the recipe a lot.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
jde123 (761) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUL 6, 2005
If I get what I give, then I want my money back for this one. I paid entirely too much for a bottle of this, while it served the role of alcohol vehicle, it didnít score well in any other category for me. I donít think I will get this one again.

GeoDoc (34) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Seriously dissapointed after the rave reviews from the folk at the Plaza. If you are going to drink Avery beer, stick with the Redpoint or the IPA. Oh ya, nice amber tones, with a fruity nose and flavor with a dull palate. Can you tell I didnít like it?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
starfireming (309) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2006
Clear amber, little yellowed head. Doughy sweet smell, the flavour holds no surprises. Sourdough straight. Feels like water, yet has that unpleasant alcohol taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
puzzl (3237) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 5, 2006
I was expecting more from this beer but it truly is a horribly mediocre brew. Filtered ugly brown pour with almost no head even when poured vigorously. The aroma is corny and starchy and kinda nasty. Dry as a bone in the mouth with none of the mentioned esters to be found. There is a distinct husky, wheatiness that is the only saving grace of this brew but doesnít really fit the style at all. Not that this tastes belgian in any way, shape or form. Iíd more quickly call this an american wheat than anything.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 4, 2006
11/4/06. Bottle.
Orange-yellow body. Floral hop nose. Slightly stale hop flavor with other notes of citrus.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - FEB 14, 2007
Yeast and light spices make up the aroma. Murky golden brown pour has a medium to full palate for the style. Lightly spiced flavor, watery, but just not enough of anything going on to really catch my attention. Bland is the word for this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
johnadam2002 (529) - Hainesport, New Jersey, USA - APR 19, 2007
One of Averyís smaller brews. Nothing really exciting. Everything was average (smell, taste, texture).

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mhelgason (495) - Salem, Oregon, USA - MAY 20, 2007
Bottle. Let me start off by saying that I was not impressed with this "belgian ale" (I use the term loosely). Lets start with the okay things: clear golden body, floral hops, honey....hmmm...yeah I think that is it. Weird green apple acidity in the aroma which killed the others. Also where was the yeast? Not good.