overall

RATINGS: 1371   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 462   ABV: 15.4%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - JUL 5, 2006
Big maple syrup aroma and flavor. Oily, slightly thick and sweet on the tongue. ABV was present all the way through, and was extreme as it warmed. Lots of raisons and maybe some cherry syrup. A little goes a long way on this one!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 24, 2006
12 oz bottle batch #1 Jan 06. Poured a thick black with a very small creamy head. The aroma is sweet with hints of rum and coffee. The taste was not what I was expecting. This beer is suppose to have IBU’s over 100, yet the taste is overpowered by it’s sweeteness. I was expecting a little more hoppiness, this beer is not as balanced as I had hoped. I tasted hints of chocolate, coffee, and even whiskey. Overall, I enjoyed this beer, however, drinking two back-to-back would be difficult due to the sweetness. Nice dessert beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2006
The Mephistopheles pours a jet black color with a minimal head that dissipates rather quickly. The aromas hit your hard and fast. Tons of chocolate and caramel malts come at you--I think it smells a lot like Speedway. The flavor was a shock to me--much sweeter than I expected. The taste is a ton of grainy brown sugar and chocolate--and that’s about it. I thought this was a little lopsided--and I know I couldn’t drink more than one of these in a sitting because of the overpowering sweetness. I am looking forward to aging the second bottle I have to see how it changes over time.

lachesis (757) - St Idesbald, BELGIUM - JUN 23, 2006
Thanks to Kepano. Very dens, dark brown, almost black beer with nice creamy beige-brown coloured froth. Aroma is very coffee like and had loads of chocolaty and caramel hints. It reminds me of a well made Irish coffee bud severd cold. It also has a fine refreshing hoppyness and herby caracter. The taste is intens coffee bitter, it has truck loads of sweet and dark chocolats, touches of macarons, le Nougat de Montelimar and some Ricola Swiss herb candies. The mouthfeel is thick, sweet, bruned-bitter and leaves a great and well ballanced afthertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Chucks66 (85) - Beachwood, Ohio, USA - JUN 22, 2006
Huge beer, hints of chocolate and Toffee, aroma of alcohol as soon as I popped it. Saved it all season of co-ed touch football and busted it out for the playoffs, won the first game but it hit me during the second.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - JUN 21, 2006
From a 12 oz. red foil wrapped neck with a blurb along the right side of label and a bottled on date on the left side, Jan/2006, batch number one. Made a very good appearance, better than I was expecting, poured a syrupy coal black with a foamy, bubbly topped, tan head that slowly settled into a thin foamy skim-like lacing, decent amount of sticking, moderate carbonation. Had a nose of chocolate and expresso maltiness with whiffs of a grape vinous, dark ripe fruits and a rum-like alcohol. A crisp, creamy and a velvety smooth full bodied mouthfeel, good sipping drinkability. At first, tastes of grape vinous, caramelized sugar, then chocolate laced expresso, dark ripe plums soaked in rum, the alcohol produces a nice warmth in palate and has a rum or liqueur-like quality and a vinous and alcohol finish. Part of Avery’s "Demons Of Ale" series and this one can be one sneaky demon, should only improve with a little aging.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ibrew2or3 (7358) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 20, 2006
12 oz bottle, batch 1, Jan, 2006. Poured with a complete absence of color, dead dark soulless night with tan head. Aroma starts out with a bit of alcohol then just after that the smokiness, dark chocolate, coffee and maple syrup enter the picture. Flavor, where to start? Chocolate, molasses, Vermont’s best maple syrup, sweet caramel malts and sweet fruity cherries/grapes. Thick viscous mouth feel that coats the inside of my mouth with a pleasing maple syrupy aftertaste. Buried beneath a mountain of complex sweetness is a murmur of hop bitterness yearning to be heard. As the beer warms the flavors of alcohol and maple smokiness intensify. Every time I test the aroma it seems to change. I think I smell alder wood smoked salmon. Eventaully the sweetness piled up and I only finished 6oz. No problem, 6 more oz for another day. Giddey-Up!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 20, 2006
As black as they come with a small light-brown head. Aroma of burnt toasts, alcohol, coffee and cacao. Tastes more like an alcoholised coffee with added brown sugar than an Imperial Stout per say. The alcohol leaves a burning sensation in the throat. Not a beer I could drink before being “warmed-up”. It was one of the last beer at a tasting party I attended and I was pretty plastered so the alcohol level didn’t seem so extreme. At that point I was ready to try anything, even a Beet Beer... which I did!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
oh6gdx (22069) - Vasa, FINLAND - JUN 19, 2006
Bottled. Black colour, brown small head. Smoky and roasty aroma with hints of coffee and toffee. Sweet alcoholic and roasted malts in flavour. Also lots of coffee, caramel and plums. And off course alcohol, but unlike the other very strong Avery’s, this doesn’t remind me of glue...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jonboy32818 (30) - orlando, Florida, USA - JUN 17, 2006
Picked this up a few months ago at Knightly. I know I had one right after it was released and it did not taste like this. First off the aroma was all soy sauce, with only a hint of chocolate. The pour was black with no head whatsoever. It was very different from the last time I had it, much sweeter, no bitterness, once again soy with some chocolate. I hope this is not because I let it sit for six months. It is still good but not as good as the early bottle. Both were from the Batch 1 Jan 2006 Cheers JON