overall

RATINGS: 1294   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 462   ABV: 15.4%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2048) - New Mexico, USA - MAR 23, 2006
To get ready for this I waited until the sun was setting and I put some Danzig in the CD player. Dazing 4 actually just for the song call on the dark. It seems appropriate. Brand new god is playing as I contemplate opening this. It is cloudy out and cold. The sun is setting but no one can tell the dark is creeping across without announcement. Tonight is the night to unleash Mephistopheles. This monster pours a pitch oily black that looked like crude coming out of the bottle and sitting atop it is a thick arrogant brown head. I could smell the booze from this dark demon before I finished pouring. Also in the nose are plums, plump raisins, and cheesecake. I cupped my petrus glass in both hands to take the first sip and I tasted rocket fuel, then I started to pick out ultra sweet mango, pineapple, super sugared chocolate, and the kind of sweetness that would kill a diabetic at 30 yards. I like it. Oh yeah, I’m hearing the words from, can’t speak as I try to wrap my mind around this. It is appropriate. I think I need more than a 12 oz er I wish Avery still made bombers of their BIG beers. Third sip is so evil and mean with alcohol and sweet flavors attacking my taste buds. Something port like, something like a mocha coffee blend, something like everything I have tasted in a stout but uncontained and wild. This tastes like the beast but with more chocolate and that is not a bad thing. But the finish is the same as I remember slick, fruit but with cocoa and the slightest coffee. Plum and green raisins also play a large part in this. But it is choc full of chocolate and incredibly sticky. The alcohol is much more prevalent than some stronger impy’s I’ve had. I really need to get a hold of a few more to age. Oh yeah here comes the song I was waiting, oh can you see it now how black your future will be, oh can you see it. Until you call on the dark. A nice beer that can only get better Ap-5 ar- 8 tas-7 pal-3 ov-17

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Padron4KM (531) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 22, 2006
12 oz bottle, born in Jan 06, batch 1.
Inky black topped with a thin esspresso head that never realy went away. Lacing and alcohol coat the glass in a thin sheet.
Initial aroma is soy sauce, but allowed to warm slightly, you find chocolate, molasses, cherries, port and alcohol.
Flavors are sweet, prune, cherries, chocolate, port. also some salty soy sauce and just a little hops on the finish
definitely a big, decadant, desert type beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2006
Pours oily black with a hint of purple at the edges and a thick, mocha head keeps as a fat, creamy souffle, leaving a wet sheet of lace on the way down. Aroma finds big salty soy sauce & anchovy opening to bitter & oily Java bean with asphalt and ham. Alcohol is apparent even when chilled. Huge and thick with a sweet affront in the flavor... esters creeping around all over the place amidst hard fruit candy. Fruity malts lead to a meaty, salty finish and coffee bitterness shows in the aftertaste in a lingering conglomeration of sweet, salt & bitter.

Hot, as mentioned, but... wait! Look! There’s a freakin’ demon on the label!! ("Hisssss... it burrrrnnsss!!") What did you expect? This is a 15.1% Imperial Stout for chrissakes. Let it sleep if you’re timid, but quit whining and let the more able-bodied open their bottles now to find the decadent portion of Hell dedicated to the Lustful and the Gluttonous.

<font size=-4>Bottle from <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
JoeMcPhee (8302) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 21, 2006
12 oz bottle shared with beastiefan2k and dickinsonbeer at Spuyten Duyvil. Dark black beer with a dark brown head. Very unusual aroma, quite boozy and a bit petroly (like some aged white wines). Very floral and light smelling for something that is so black. Underneath is some toffee, yeasty esters and some spiciness as well. The spice and molasses intensify as the beer warms up. Flavour though is all booze. Really alcoholic and hot tasting, which masks the nice burnt sugar and toffee that I can taste behind it. Fairly sugary palate as well, despite all of the booziness. Some really great flavours in this beer, but in the end it’s too damn hot to be enjoyable. I’m in the minority on this one, but I didn’t enjoy this one at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - MAR 21, 2006
12 oz bottle obtained in trade with illinismitty (thanks man), Batch 1, bottled January 2006. Sampled at cellar temperature from a Maudite snifter. Thick, thick mocha-malt head, fine-bubbled and lasting, atop a jet oily body, dark icicle-lacing, gorgeous....tar, port, cherries, old pipe tobacco, bit of vanilla-oakiness, succulent and already speaking of some age, hints of alcohol but they are fine and warming, dark cocoa when warmer and alcohol becomes oppressive to an unpleasant extent....Plenty of bitter dry hops in the body, juicy fruity wine and tannins, lots of oaky vanilla and a big alcoholic burn late, orange peel and sour cherries, thick espresso bitterness, so much going on it’s the kitchen sink approach but it sort of works, huge caramel sweetness amidst the dark espresso and hops.....Thick, rich but also syrupy and burning, a barleywinish palate that is just too harsh for me, with a light soy quality that grows stronger towards the dry, corrosive finish....there’s no questioning the quality that went into this, it certainly shows oceans of flavor especially, and I enjoyed it in many respects, but there’s too much harshness and fuesel alcoholic quality when it approaches room temperature for me to ascribe greatness.....little subtlety, lots of burn doesn’t do it for me in this style, or in any. Mixed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 21, 2006
The beer emerges from the 12-ounce brown bottle a soot black, the head Bunyanesque, the color a nice deep tan, the consistency thick and creamy, after its slow demise, the lace forms a glutinous blanket to obfuscate the glass. Ah that smell, toasted and roasted grain, sweet molasses, rich malt, a real foretoken of things to come, start is cotton candy sweet, the malt profile thick, the top full. Finish is merciful in its acidity; the hops mingle nicely with the 15.10 percent ABV, but a good thing to cut the sweetness, a belly warmer, and another hit for Avery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beastiefan2k (2359) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - MAR 21, 2006
100th rater, enjoyed with Dickinsonbeer and JoeMcPhee at Spuyten Duyvil. After the pour the smell hits you like a rocket. So I let it sit for a bit. It poured black (of course) with a brown head that left soon. After letting it sit for a bit, the aroma was surprisingly light. It was a light alcoholic, floral fragrance, unlike a regular imperial stout. Here comes the taste. The body is much lighter than expected. Bitter taste but a smooth finish, probably becasue of the lighter body. Again, the smoothness going down is surprising. As I sit and drink the finish becomes a floral bitterness. Imagine a sweet bitter floral beer. Definitly worth a top 50 spot. Also, probably not worth aging. Now check my two commrades ratings and see the difference.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2479) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2009 So I finally got it, and I went in with high expectations, and boy did Avery deliver. Pours out a dark thick black with a nice active brownish head. Aroma is roasty and sweet with some notes of chocolate and some fruit. Taste is very nice so complex. First I got a nice rich chocolate flavor that faded into some notes of caramel coffee and some dried fruit mostly some plum and maybe fig here or there with some more notes of vanilla and some mild oak and rum. Finish is sweet but sharp like a strong coffee. Very complex beer, I’d put this one on par with just about any imperial, one hell of a beer... no pun intended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2006
One big bad mofo of a beer. I really like it though. Very much along the lines of Dogfish’s WWS, but different in some way that I can discern. I’m glad I bought a couple because I have a feeling this will age nicely. I like that its well carbonated-not too much though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - MAR 19, 2006
Deep rich black color with a lingering head. Port nose with coffee/toffee hints. There is a rich caramel, coffee taste that lingers nicely on your tongue.