overall

RATINGS: 1294   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 462   ABV: 15.4%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brouwerij (918) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 17, 2014
Tap at Avery, Batch 9. Pours dark brown with thin light brown head, minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted, chocolate, caramel, very sweet, fruity, plum. Flavor is sweet, fruity, with a big roasted, chocolate, sweet finish. Good masking of alcohol, very rich. Soft carbonation, medium-full body, and smooth texture.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
olr1984 (1058) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2014
2012 12oz bottle pours a dark black with a tan head. Big chocolate and bitter malt taste. As it warms the alcohol taste drops off.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocJitsu (901) - Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2014
Pours an opaque, very dark brown with a bicolor light mocha and brick red-mocha head. Unfortunately, the head recedes too quickly. Smoky, campfire, wood BBQ nose. Some meaty notes. Very thick and chewy texture. Knife and fork worthy. Quite a burn at the finish on the rear of the palate and down the throat. A nice dose of sweet, roasty malt up front. A bit of plum and cherry appear toward the finish. Loads of alcohol.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
suprchunk (2158) - Crestview, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2014
Black pour. Some ruby highlights as I pour. Big tan head. Plenty of lacing. A slight tire and pine tar aroma. Some chocolate and coffee notes as well. The tire persists in the taste. Smooth creamy mouthfeel gives way to a acrid and sour presence. Slight vegetal note in the back.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drtbrewster (40) - Arizona, USA - FEB 2, 2014
What stout should be, malty with some bitterness coming through. Do not taste the alcohol and I get chocolate and coffee undertones.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HIGHB4LL (475) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 2, 2014
Sampler at Averyís, Batch 9. Appearance: small dark brown head that lasts, great lacing, black color. Aroma: rich roast coffee, chocolate, light caramel, light licorice, alcohol. Palate: soft carbonation, oily coating texture, full body. Taste: heavy alcohol, great bitter-sweetness to it, dark chocolate and coffee. Overall, very good beer, loved it and hope to have it again at the Srong Ales Fest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
njnut (225) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - JAN 29, 2014
Batch 9. Poured into shaker pint glass. Pours pure black, held up to my ceiling light I see none through the beer. Head is small bubbled and brown. Thicker mouth feel. Lacing on glass, head lastís. Aroma is dark fruit, basment and alcohol. Taste is alcohol, licorice, and some more alcohol. The licorice gets stronger with the finish. An epic beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
addison87 (3) - dallas, USA - JAN 20, 2014 does not count
I just opened my ratebeer account today so this rating isnít going to matter to anybody for awhile but I just had to rate this beer. I first got into craft beer a little over a year ago and that is thanks largely in part to this beer. I first got one from a gas station after I had The Beast and I saw that it was made by the same brewery. It had been there for a while because he was charging a lot for it but by the time I got it, it was worth the price I paid. It opened my eyes and I havenít imbibed a Guinness since. Just today I went to a liquor store near my work and they had the 2013 and I bought every last one of them (16). The rating I gave this beer is for the 2013 because it hasnít had alot of time to age. I am going to save the rest for at least 6 months to a year, and I recommend you do the same. Cheers!

VTHopHead (1511) - Barre, Vermont, USA - JAN 18, 2014
They should just call this "monster stout"... huge beer with all of the standard stout elements and the addition of a dark fruitiness that appears at the end. Had this before and I can honestly list this as one of favorite "kick your ass" beers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TreborWhip (392) - Reading, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 13, 2014
Bottle pours deep, dark brown with perfect creamy brown head. Aroma of burnt wood and dark fruits. Flavors of spiced rum soaked dark fruits, black licorice, and burnt malts. Smooth and creamy with a light peppery finish.