overall

RATINGS: 978   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
A traditional black porter, with a surprise twist - it's dry-hopped!! We've expanded the porter category a bit, adding a delightful, dry hop aroma to blend with the sweet caramel and chocolate characteristics of a Robust Porter.

pivo (2585) - GERMANY - APR 3, 2005
Fresh hop nose mixed with cocoa, deep dark brown, tall sticky rocky head. Medium roasted malt with a few chocolately undertones gives way pretty quickly to fresh hop flavor. Bright West Coast hop resolution. This lingers and filly the mouth with hop goodness. Good name for this beer as it signifies a cross over of stlyes: American PA meets a porter. I think you can get away with this within the porter style. I think I was also attracted to this beer because we donít get beers with fresh West Coast hops that often. When we do, itís a treat. This is a successful experiement in my opinion. Would like to get more this!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Strykzone (5062) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - APR 2, 2005
Definitely a quality beer. However, my opinion was somewhat below that of others. A citrusy flavor caused a loss of points for me. It was similar to a Pale Ale in that regard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5401) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2005
Poured a brownish red color with a small, light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of chocolate, vanilla, roast, cherries, and hops. More roast, chocolate, and smoke, with faint hoppiness. Straight forward porter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skisangelo (60) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 29, 2005
Pours a very dark brown/black with a thick light brown head. Thin, spidery lacing throughout. The aroma is roasty with hops and cocoa. Medium-bodied with a nice blend of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee flavors. The finish is roasty and lightly hopped and lasting.

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - MAR 29, 2005
One of the best robust porters around. Nicely hoppy, as are all Avery beers, but a great malt character, with chocolate and coffee flavors. I love porters and love hops, so this is right up my alley.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Solid black color with a frothy head. Strong hops aroma with some subtle coffee notes. Flavor is sharp and acidic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Dark brown pour with a big rocky tan head. Lots of carbonation keeps the head afloat. Aroma has a slight roasted and chocolate character. Flavor is mild and unaggressive with some nutty chocolate flavors and roasted grain. I didnít notice any hops, and the choc/roasted malt flavors were weak for a porter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wyntastr (10) - Florida, USA - MAR 16, 2005
Thanks to matta for talking me into ordering this for the store. Hereís the deal, I dig porters. I dig hops. This brew serves up both in spades. Huge mouthful of beer right from the get go. Rich roasted chocolate and coffee notes combined with a maltiness not too sweet for a porter. Finish is all hops, obviously benefitting from aggressive dry hopping. Now this is the conundrum, I think I like these two great qualities separate from one another. A big rich, malty porter on one hand and a bold crisp imperial IPA on the other. Donít get me wrong, this is a very good beer, but.......Am I making sense?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - MAR 5, 2005
Bottle poured black with a nice thick head and great lacing. Aroma of roast and toast with a flavor of campfire, chocolate, malt and coffee. This beer became much more flavorful as it warmed. Good stuff!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - MAR 5, 2005
(draft) A fairly mild porter that smelled and tasted of bakerís chocolate. No bitterness or coffee taste that I could detect, and I think thatís a good thing.