overall

RATINGS: 1031   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
The success of HOG HEAVEN and THE REVEREND clearly demonstrates that beer drinkers are willing to embrace "BIGGER" beers. In the fall of 2001, we decided that a lighter BIG BEER would complement its darker colored predecessors. Salvation has luscious apricot and peach aromas delicately interwoven with spicy suggestions of nutmeg and cinnamon. This heavenly soft, champagne-like elixir is cellarable for 3 years.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tejas (889) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 1, 2005
Beautiful orange color but zero head is a big disappointment. Taste is somewhat sour & soapy. A tad bitter too as it warms up. Quite strong. Decent but thereís better out there. Most likely Iíll never drink this again. Just found it sort of boring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
frankenkitty (1960) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUL 7, 2005
Thereís a joke in here about finding salvation in a bottle, but Iíll leave that to the professionals.

An amber/orange colored brew under an average and fading, off-white head. Good Belgian character in the aromas, which ran the gamut of caramel maltiness, grapefruit hopiness and light, doughy yeastiness... along with honey and alcohol. Flavor was a bit wanting, however, starting with heavy sugars proceding to some middle malts and ending with some strong alcohol that quickly canceled out all the flavor. After a promising start, it ended rather "blah".

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/ohe/library/bodyima in my sister-in-lawís fridge. <font size=-1>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
EValP (30) - Colorado, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Very fluffy head on this orange colored beer. Another Avery beer that fills the room with the aroma, however, this one is a bit easy to take. Can distinctly taste the fruit and yeast but I also caught a hint of what I think is liquorish root. Lots of other flavors I can pick out after a while; apricot, honey, clove to name a few. Quite complex really and unlike others, I can taste the alcohol in this one. Not bad, would drink again but like The Reverend, has sugar in it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2564) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2006
Hmm, well Iím not really sure what the big deal is with this one. It approximates the good Belgians, with light phenolic and banana notes, along with a fairly interesting hop aroma, piney and almost citric. Further, there was a bit of a strong and simplistic caramel note, so that in the end, this seemed too sweet and lacked the fluffy body of the great examples. Also, I noticed this had no yeast sediment at all, and poured a very bright and crystal clear orange color.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
caesar (5402) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - NOV 26, 2006
Clear, bit hazy, golden orange color, short head. Aroma of hop, fruity, citrus, bit herbal, floral. Very sweet, bit hoppy taste, honey, bit dusty. I expected some more of this brew. Not better than average.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
luckygirl (1223) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2007
2006 Bomber. Beer is clear, medium golden-brown colored. Head is initially average-to-large, white, frothy. Mostly diminishes, some lacing on the snifter.<P> The aroma isnít very Belgian, but it is strong. Itís malty with light notes of cookie, toasted grain; Moderate hop notes of herb, flowers, stinky bitter resin; Yeasty with a light note of dish rag, moderate dough; Light notes of spicy alch, peach/bubble gum, ground pepper.<P> The flavor is moderately sweet, moderately-to-heavily bitter, lightly acidic with a long, moderately sweet, lightly bitter, warm finish. Some huskiness in the retros.<P> The body is medium, the texture is watery and the carbonation is lively.With this much alcohol I was hoping for something sexier in the mouth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale Łber alles, Arizona, USA - MAY 31, 2007
poured yellow...yeasty, cinnamon aroma. yeasty apricot and clove flavors. hoppy bitter finish. something about this beer really turned me off. i let it warm and it actually got worse ( thatís a first )

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wingman333 (333) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2007
Bomber...if a beer ever tasted like gin and tonic, this one is it...strong flavors of orange rind and lemon zest, with great bitterness on the aftertaste, like juniper berries. Average carbonation. Overall it succeeds at being light, which may please some, but I much preferred the Reverend by Avery over this selection.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - JUL 27, 2007
sampled on tap at Porterís Pub, UCSD. Golden orange with no head. Fruity and sweet aroma and flavor. Spices include nutmeg and ginger. a hint of alcohol going down. Overall the sweet and the spice didnít seem to blend well. I had trouble killing the pint

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
quantumtigger (6) - USA - MAR 27, 2008 does not count
Pours much lighter than I expected with an almost non-existent head. The tiny head falls away to only a ring of micro and large bubbles around the edge. Three little islands of bubbles sit disinterestedly in the middle of the glass. The color is a beautiful sparklingly clear amber that almost glows in the light. The lack of head on a regular brew would make me rate lower, but the anticipation of this strong ale puts into my mind "there is no room for head in this brew".

Alas - there is not much to the aroma. I get a whiff of "clean" and a touch of "moist vegetation". I would like a bit more aroma.

The palate surprised me - I expected something thin from the look but was greeted with the bubbles expanding into a pillow like cushion in my mouth. Very pleasing - very soft.

The flavor is not as intense as I thought it would be. It is mellow in a interesting way. I get sweetness and a hint of pine nuts in the breath out.

Overall this beer didnít talk to me as much as I would like it to (for the price/caliber of brewer/type of beer). It may be that Iím rating in a surrounding thatís different than my usual rating setup. Iím in a coffee shop eating some saiton buffalo wings with my wife (Iíve got a laptop; she a book). As Iíve been talking to my wife about my thoughts she brings up that what Iím looking for is exhausting to her; too much over stimulation. She enjoys this beer; so do I, but for the money and type of beer I donít think I would purchase again. Go get a delirium tremens instead. I guess if you want something simpler in this category that doesnít demand attention this is a pretty good beer. Maybe thatís the current hop-love stage that Iím in coming through. But tremens isnít hoppy and it hits me like a dancing frog.