RATINGS: 1018   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 41   EST. CALORIES: 426   ABV: 14.2%
Samael is the prince of demons, the angel of death, accuser and destroyer. Filled with enmity towards man, he planted the vine, the forbidden tree of paradise. Behold his venom and vengeance, both sweet and tempting, enticing you, his spellbound victim, within his wings.

Samaelís Ale is a super-caramelly, oak aged English-style strong ale. Perhaps the least hoppy (sacrilege here at Avery!!) beer weíve brewed, to accentuate the malt. The oak is very apparent in this rich and high gravity ale, adding additional depth and complexity with a woody and cask-like nose and a pronounced vanilla flavor on the palate.

This potent ale is the second installment, along with The Beast, of our ďDemons of Ale SeriesĒ.

Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, turbinado sugar, hops, yeast, and American oak chips.

2011 - 15.53%
2014 - 14.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - APR 9, 2006
Pours a slightly hazy deep golden red with an average off white lacing head. Aroma is sweet, vanilla, oak, caramel, bourbon, various fruits, some melon, alcohol was kind of hidden in there under all of the sweetness. Flavor was also very sweet, lots of vanilla but very syrupy. There was a lot going on here but for my personal preference this was a bit too sweet. Aroma more appealing than the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
oldrtybastrd (3376) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 7, 2006
Pours a hazy reddish amber color. Aromas of bourbon, vanilla, yeast, some fruit and spice. Taste is yeasty and medicinal, can really taste the alcohol in this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Padron4KM (737) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2006
12 oz bottle. bottled in 2005.
Hazy amber, very thin head. Alcohol coats the glass.
Aroma is sweet with notes of melon, apple, honey, apricot. Wood is there but very faint.
Flavor was sweet. Port, vanilla, sugar, gooey caramel, honey. Just enough oaky tannins to keep it from becoming cloying.
Liquid desert. I think I killed my sweet-tooth for the month.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankenkitty (1984) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 29, 2006
Thick, vermillion/red with delicate effervescence and a slow-forming, cream-colored head that dissipates quickly to halo. Sweet brandy aroma with oak lending wooden notes and a vinous sourness, making me wonder if Samael saw the inside of a wine barrel as opposed to whisky. Insanely sweet with huge alcohol, unencumbered. Potent fruitiness within a thick, syrupy palate. Licked by the flames of hell, this beer remains hot, wishing to remain in the bottle for at least another year to let its flavors relax.

I have invoked the dark-power of Samael to procure my 1000th overall rating (958 beers plus 42 places) and, thusly, have defeated my arch-rival RAYBOY01 in our battle for 1000 ratings (he currently holds numbers for 989 beers but nary a place). This whole "contest" was so loosely assembled that the ultimate goal was never discussed, so Iíll draw the conclusion that it was "ratings" and declare myself victorious. I assume he will attain the 1000 beer-mark and Beer God status before me but, depending on your point of view, one of us will win a battle while the other has won a war. (Although, at my current pace, I may compile 42 ratings before his 11...)

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Beverage Depot, Orland Park, IL 60462<font size=-1>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - MAR 26, 2006
Finally broke down and spent the $6.99 required to purchase this beverage. Pours almost clear reddish brown with a small tan head. Somewhat lingers about, but not too intrusive. Some moderate lacing. Nose pours extremely sweet and vinous, with ahint of some woodsy cologne wailing in. Taste sent me on a coughing spree. Wasnt warned how sweet this ale would be. The ol Prince of Demons must have had a major sweet tooth. Candied throughout, I guess you could pick off some of the vanilla flavours from the oak, and lots of cloying honey. Really does cake to ones teef. The sweetness subsided once I let it room up to just below room temp. Really brings out a brandy charachter on the entrance, and some fruityness approached shortly afterwards. Vanilla matures as well but it then getís this Tokaji feel to it, which I like, but wasnít expecting. I believe that if I had waited 2 yeas on this and let it linger in the cellar, it would be superb. Am I willing to pay another $6.99 and wait? (side note)****the sweetness really killed this for me. I eventually could not finish it.****

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JorisPPattyn (8799) - Ursel, BELGIUM - MAR 18, 2006
Beautiful clear shining red; a íheadí for a few seconds, then just a rim. Superb, vinous nose, with winegrape and old Armenian brandy. Sweetish, vinous, brandywine taste; malts, yes, but they are transcendented here. Lots of higher alcohols. Syrupy from a real fruit juice (peach, strawberry,...). Some licorice at the ende and a lot of incense flavour. Sharp MF, velvety, oily, syrupy and rich beyond words. Aftertaste is also brandy-ish, but with an almondy character. A superb one, one of Adamís best. I wonder about the excess sweetness some raters complain of. Sweet, yes, but not that sweet. Excellent one for my Nį 2400. Big thanks to whomever from the Brugge Babblefest crew bestowed it on me. MarkA? Eyedrinkale?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
talon1117 (1152) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 13, 2006
UPDATED: APR 20, 2010 Pours a clear, amber/copper color with some carbonation and a small, diminishing off-white, frothy head. Nose is carmelly sweet with lots of alcohol, lots of vanilla, with apple and plum. Intense carmelly sweetness really dominates the flavor with the oak coming into play giving an almost JD whiskey flavor. Vanilla and raisin faintly find their way in along with a small amount of hop bitterness. The full bodied, slightly chewy, oily, syrupy, lively palate finishes long and sweet with vanilla and a little like fingernail polish (and not in a good way). Alcohol is hidden in the flavor very well by the over-the-top sweetness. Not being a huge hophead and a fan of the whiskey undertones, the beer sounds like a great idea; but I was disappointed with the lack of intriguing complexities and the entirely way too rich sweetness. I was disappointed with this one but still a very innovative try from a great brewery. I tried a later batch, batch 6, bottled March 10, 15.82% ABV and liked it a bit better. The appearance was lacking but the nose was a bit more balanced and the flavor carried more hop bitterness to almost balance the intense sweetness and less nail polish notes which was nice. Still not one of my favorite BWís or favorite from the brewery but better than my last tasting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Pours copper, no head at all. I have to say this was a gagger and I sipped it slow the whole time. The alcohol just overides this so much, and I didnít know at the time but kept saying it tasted like an extremely strong barley wine, and I donít really like that style. Didnít really pick up any oak flavors, just the usually barley wine fruitness with an alcohol kick. I fell asleep with about a 1/4 of it left and didnít even care, I did not like this at all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 9, 2006
12 oz. bottle, thanks to Slob for this specialty ale! Pours clear reddish copper with vitually no head. Aroma is sweet and fruity with citrus, cherries, a significant alcohol presence and a bit of grass. Flavor is very sweet and full, almost cloying, again cherries, apple, orange liquer, Beerenauslese wine, oak, as well as cough syrup notes. Full body, gentle and creamy carbonation. Definitely a well crafted brew, but a bit over the top for my simpler tastes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jrob21 (3050) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Pours a clear amber color. Slight head that goes away quickly. Smells of plum and cherry. Wow I didnít expect so much power from this one. Full malty and sweet. Reminds me of a fruity desert. Hints of bubblegum? at the finish. Not bubblegum....vanilla.