overall

RATINGS: 988   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 41   EST. CALORIES: 426   ABV: 14.2%
Samael is the prince of demons, the angel of death, accuser and destroyer. Filled with enmity towards man, he planted the vine, the forbidden tree of paradise. Behold his venom and vengeance, both sweet and tempting, enticing you, his spellbound victim, within his wings.

Samaelís Ale is a super-caramelly, oak aged English-style strong ale. Perhaps the least hoppy (sacrilege here at Avery!!) beer weíve brewed, to accentuate the malt. The oak is very apparent in this rich and high gravity ale, adding additional depth and complexity with a woody and cask-like nose and a pronounced vanilla flavor on the palate.

This potent ale is the second installment, along with The Beast, of our ďDemons of Ale SeriesĒ.

Brewed with Rocky Mountain water, malted barley, turbinado sugar, hops, yeast, and American oak chips.

2011 - 15.53%
2014 - 14.2%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lonelybeergeek (36) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - NOV 16, 2005
Somehow, I have never heard of this one. My buddy Ari picked a couple up, as if we needed 2, and I have been staring at the bottle wondering how I could have missed this. Pours with little carbonation, white head, coppery orange. Smells like....i dont have the words for it. The aroma is the highlight of the beer, though. Tastes like whiskey, caramel, dates, molasses, alcohol. I would prefer if it wasnít so strong, I taste the alcohol way too much. Makes a 12 oz. quite fun, though. Not my favorite from Avery, they have done much better, but an interesting experience. Unique beer, if not great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
MartinT (8135) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 16, 2005
The Lure:
Some lingering head tops this mammoth of a barley wine. Confident oak surfing on sweet fruit waves, tons of peach syrup, maraschino cherries, dried apricots, etc. Sweetness is prominent, but not too bad so far.

The Festivities:
As I swallowed my first sip, my heart and stomach leapt as if they were refusing to ingest this. Itís that sweet. And Iím somewhat of a sweet tooth, donít forget that. Mouthfeel is uberthick, which is nice for a barley wine, but manages to be a little too much considering its obese sweetness. Tons of maple syrup and caramel segue into torrential alcohol and oak, second and soon primary reason for the initial recoil reaction. Have you ever felt your uvula shrink in disgust? Oh, itís flavorful, donít get me wrong! Many cherries, peaches (in syrup form mind you), complex sweetness and a nice coat of oakiness which never topples the sweetness (how could it?). One sip will smack you in the tongue. Ten might make your gut turn. I didnít want to go further. And like I said, Iím known to be a sweet tooth...

Transcendence:
Drowning in a pit of quicksyrup, whipped by a drunken fatso as you go down.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - NOV 15, 2005
another monster style beer sent my way from richlikebeer. clear bronze in color with a fast fading head. aromas and flavors are of syrupy sweet notes of caramel, molasses, vanilla and oaky alcohol. not quite balanced but still tastey and enjoyable. thanks rich!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 11, 2005
clear amber bronze color, only a few bubbles in the body. thick foamy tan head that goes quickly. aroma is cherry-like and sherry malt. flavor is very sweet and strong malt, some sherry and alcohol heat in the finish. this is not as evil as I was expecting. easier to drink than the Czar in my opinion. more heat kicks in upon warming.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Clear, oily amber body with seven white bubbles. Alcohol, vanilla, toffee, molasses, prunes, light grains, caramel, peach skins, and simple syrup. The body is thick, sticky and easily coates the tongue. The flavor shows the sweet, heavy malt backbone and allows just a touch of the wood-aged character. The vanilla, spice and light coconut go remarkably well with the heavy malt and ridiculous alcohol content. The finish is long and warm. In many ways, this is like a Thomas Hardyís Ale. Itís tasty and stuff, but not really to my liking and something I could rarely drink. Itís always interesting to see what Adam and Co. can do, but itís rarely something I want to drink all that often.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2005
I mustíve gotten a bad bottle-I thought this was ridiculously sweet and almost undrinkable. Just didnít do it for me at all. One of the first Avery beers that I didnít like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 5, 2005
Clear copper pour with a ring of white lace on top. Aroma of oak and alcohol. Flavor of oak, alcohol, maple, caramel and malt. Light to medium body with a liquorous texture and sfot carbonation. Yummy !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Frank (3044) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2005
Pours a brilliant red amber. No head but quite a deal of carbonation is visible--even so the clear amber color is pretty enough to make this look appetizing. Warm spicy nose is a bit nutty and sherry like. Full bodied and sweet w/ a twinge of oak and vanilla. slightly sticky w/ some prickly carbonation. Alcohol is there but pleasant, serving as a counterpoint to the long, sweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2005
Some head on an aggressive pour, burning off quickly (canít be sustained with this alcohol), golden body with edges showing a spectrum from amber to yellow and a perfectly clear edge. Aroma of alcohol, very hot, brandy. Notes of apple, vanilla, honey, some apple candy. Smooth, thick, sweet, and burning my lips. I need to age one for a long, long, time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - OCT 27, 2005
One of the best Avery has come out with. Yes, Adam, I too enjoy the hops. But this is a wonderful caramelly aromatic brew with light carbonation. The solid mouthfeel laces the tongue with the malt flavors and hints at a developing light sherry note. As it warms in the glass, the vanilla from the oak begins to flower forth. A strong warmth of the alcohol brings beads of sweat on the brow. Are you sure itís only 14.5% ABV. Man, I canít wait to celebrate a good snowfall! Here in Atlanta? Sorry, not waiting. Now where did I put that bottle opener?