overall

RATINGS: 1443   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
Behold the stunning crimson hues through the inky blackness. Inhale the noble Hallertau hops, spicy and floral. Savor the flavors redolent of English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise. We highly recommend cellaring additional bottles, as the Czar will continue to mature and become denser and more complex with age.

2002 Batch: 12.2% ABV
2011 Batch: 10.57% ABV
2012 Batch: 11.1% ABV

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
igneous1 (1506) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - DEC 20, 2003
deep brown with a very quickly dissipating beige head. aroma has lots of alcohol and lots of roasted malts. fair amount of coffee in the aroma as well with mild hop aroma slightly detectable. lots of roasty malts in the flavor, some chocolate, but the finish for me was mostly alcohol...one of those beers that is definitely very good, but didnt meet my expectations. as it warms the chocolatey quality shows up a little more, also it develops a somewhat chalky mouthfeel.

Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2003
This fits the bill for what an Imperial Stout should be. Fruity aroma, good solid malt, chocolate, roast flavors, etc. etc. to great depth. Hoppy finish gave me a spot of doubt, as if it were lacking a je ne sais qua in some category of complexity. But I don't know what. 95% opaque with pitch color. (Sampled at Southern Ratebeer Gathering, Austin, TX, December 6, 2003)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
This poured a jet black with a small tan head. I actually expected a little more hoppiness than was tasted, but still a good beer none-the-less.

tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
Very rich - pours like crude oil - tastes like heaven. Wonderful malts with some spiciness and warming at the end. Smooth as silk.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 17, 2003
It's neat. I have this, like, ESPN2 shit, & I already know I'm going to hate something before I even taste it; but for the sake of art I'll try it anyway. It smells like a Jager/Nyquil cocktail with a tbs. of nail polish remover & a pinch of mulch. Ash brown, nearly black, uh oh, I'm not gonna like this crap. Ewww!!! It tastes like a mixture of acetone & Rite-Aid brand Isopropyl Alcohol. Gag me with a Q-tip, I'm totally grossed out. Pass on this shit unless you're in need of a pedeicure, may quite possibly double as drain cleaner.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bu11zeye (11971) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 16, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a dark brown with amber highlights and a thin beige head. Has a rich chocolate taste that mellows the strong alcohol volume.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Bottle. Opaque, small tan head. Roasty and smooth chocolate aroma. Fruity: very characteristic of the style. Very rich chocolate flavor. Thick, perfect mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 14, 2003
Draft. Dark brown pour, deep rich complex flavor. Alcohol nose with nice roasted malt taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Very nice aroma - I find it similar to Celebrator. A little sour sniffing, very little head, pours very dark. Nice flavor - very well rounded. Nutty and sweet flavor, with not a bit of noticeable alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 11, 2003
I waited quite the while to sample this brew. It was not nearly what I had hoped, yet still very decent. Not enough chocolate in the body for me or in the aroma for that fact. I just noticed alot of alcohol, with a minty black and tan feel to it. Still good, but not the best.