overall

RATINGS: 1428   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
Behold the stunning crimson hues through the inky blackness. Inhale the noble Hallertau hops, spicy and floral. Savor the flavors redolent of English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise. We highly recommend cellaring additional bottles, as the Czar will continue to mature and become denser and more complex with age.

2002 Batch: 12.2% ABV
2011 Batch: 10.57% ABV
2012 Batch: 11.1% ABV

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 18, 2003
Dark brown with ruby hints. Really nice chocolatey, winey aroma. Big thick body, big malts,some chocolate, maybe too sirupy and thick though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - SEP 5, 2003
98% opaque body with a very small toasted-brown head. I poured the beer extra hard and still only got a 2 cm rise out of it. Smell isn’t very strong for an IS. There’s obvious sweet hop notes, and some grape. Taste is strong and sweet, starting with molasses, grape, then turning bitter and burnt. This is perhaps the easiest drinking IS I’ve ever had but it is not complex. I was hoping for a lot more, and it is not in the same class with the North Coast, Victory, Stone, DFH or Arcadia IS's. Still, this is not a bad beer and is deserving of a try. Especially for those who are unfamiliar with the style. Also, let the drinker beware, you wont taste much alcohol but you will certainly feel it once you've downed the Bomber. My good friend Jeremy brought this 22oz bottle (2002 Vintage) to me from his recent trip to Denver, CO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
redlem (1296) - Ohio, USA - SEP 2, 2003
A tar black color with a small tan head. A very fresh( almost German wheat like) aroma of chocolate, roasted malts, spicey hops, and alcohol. A sweet bitter taste of chocolate and coffee, somewhat spicey. Silky smooth with an oily feel. This is just behind Bell's Expedition as my favorite Imperial.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ClarkVV (3856) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 30, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2005 2002 Bottle consumed 8/30/03. Pours a foamy dark blackish brown color. Head varies on temperature but is hardly present. Smells very pungent. Plum alcohol, stiff, bittersweet malt. Begins very powerfully of dry bitter salty bakers chocolate malt. Then, on top of this stiff taste, the alcohol, which is quite high, kicks in. The texture is very coarse, though I would have thought it to be syrupy. Not so. There is quite a bit of toffee flavor, but it is not sweet toffee at all. There isnt much sweet about this beer, perhaps some moderately sweet caramel malt towards the start and towards the start of the finish, right before you get hit with alcohol, raisins and molasses. The finish provides yet more complex flavors, somewhat spicey, with some acidity, and dark, dark, bitter coffee. The body is certainly full, but overall, the texture and huge amount of alcohol I tasted in every sip turned me off a bit, especially as I had just tried expedition stout a few weekends before. This beer did not mask the alcohol well, in my opinion. Way too much in there. I will say, however, I tried this beer at almost 65 degrees. Towards the end of my 22 ounce bottle, I will admit to liking this beer much more than I had at first sip. I will have to rerate soon. 02 bottle consumed 11/03. Had it at a variety of temperatures. Actually better towards 57-59. Flavor melds together nicely throughout, but again, I am slammed by alcohol on the finish and I am shocked that anyone would call this beer only somewhat acidic. I find Avery’s beers to be above average on acidity level. May benefit from aging, though as it hopefully will even out. 02 bottle consumed July 2004. Wow. This is a different beer. Alcohol is under control, acidity and bitterness, while there and probably too present, are at least manageable. Developed a softer, rounder more chocolatey appeal, and to my surprise, I found myself drinking this stuff easily and quickly. Wow, I’m speechless.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 20, 2003
I swear this is a really black barley wine. Dark brown color, with an alcohol aroma with hints of roasted malt and others. Slighty bitter, cooffee-like taste with a very strong alcohol presence. I didn't really enjoy it, mostly because I was hoping for a good imperial stout, and found it to be more like a barley wine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 18, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2003 Dark brown w/ ruby hue. Small light beige head. Intense, somewhat vinous aroma of fruit (dates, raisins), dark chocolate, earth, & oak. Thick, chewy feel. Sweet, fruity, chocolaty flavour. Some vinous elements. Notes of burnt, bitter coffee. Earthy hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6321) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 17, 2003
Aroma - some sweet creamy slightly lactic, medium roasted malt. Almost black, plain and white small head. Good, clean. Nice roasted mouthfeel and aftertaste. One of those that grows on you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jgb9348 (4486) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2003
2002 Vintage: Dark brown in colour, not fully opaque and when held up to a light...ruby colours come through. A tan head forms on the pour but quickly dissipates. The aroma is pretty nice: chocolate, cherries, port and roasted malt are all very present. Very thick mouthful with tastes of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and alcohol. The presence of alcohol and the bitterness from dark chocolate and coffee roam on the palate for quite a few minutes after the last sip. Overall, this is was almost exactly what I was expecting from a top 50 Imperial Stout. Great look, smell, taste and aftertaste. One of the better Imperial Stouts that I've had, but not the best. Worth every one of the 599 pennies I paid for it! I bought this 22 ounce bottle from Total Beverage in Thornton (Denver), Colorado.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 16, 2003
I just got punched in the nose with raisins. chocolate wine and molasses follow. roasty flavour, but with lots of raisin, fruit and wine. very baltic tasting. super smooth buttery mouthfeel. very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2003
Barley-tastic. I was supprised at how much of this was more of a barley wine. Reminds me of the '03 Epic. Regardless, I much like this for its smoothness and how it is in fact a Different imperial stout. from the rest.