overall

RATINGS: 2001   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 102   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, - "great" and rajan - "king". Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley - fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. This newest Avery Dictator completes the "Dictator Series" joining the likes of The Kaiser & The Czar. Be aware that The Maharaja is a limited release only available for the summer. Welcome to his kingdom!

Editor’s Note: the 2007 version was 9.78%.
2014 - 10.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jcr (2320) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUL 29, 2005
Just as advertised - heavy on the malt, heavy on the hops, but the malty sweetness definitely dominates. Because of this, the aroma is more like oranges than grapefruit. It poured a cloudy amber with a foamy 0ff-white head. The flavor is so sweet that the hops get somewhat lost. Very little bitterness. And not much hint of alcohol despite its 9.7%. Tasty blend if you don’t mind the malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerandBlues2 (10700) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 24, 2005
Bottle at The Avery Experience. Pours amber to copper with a tall frothy off-white head; lined lacing. Resiny pine and citrus hop aroma with a faint fruit(peach) hop nose. Peachy lightly roasted caramel malt flavor with a fruit hop finish. Medium bodied and spicy warming palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2005
Bottle from Central Market. Creamy and dreamy. Hoppy like an IPA should be, but not an assault of hops like DFH 90 or Hop Devil. Quite possibly my favorite IPA. Balance, character, color. This has it all. Made me say "mmmmm". Damn fine effort from Avery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
clingman71 (297) - Centerville, Ohio, USA - JUL 23, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2005 Why are there so many low ratings for this beer? DON"T BE AFRAID OF HOPS!!!Bottle. This might well be my favorite beer at the moment, summer 2005. I have always considered IPAs as my favorite style, but these new Double/Imperial IPAs that have been coming out over the last year or so are unbelievable. Maharaja is well hopped, but very, and I mean very, drinkable. it is very balanced for 112 IBUs. Let it get to nearly room temp to fully enjoy its hop flavor though, but if you are on this website you probably already know that.

beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JUL 22, 2005
Bottled - was stored in a fridge since buying it months ago, so the hop aroma and flavor were preserved very well. Coppery amber pour. Huge piney citrus hop aroma with sweet malts. Lots of the piney hop in the flavors with a big sweet malt backbone. Some honey flavors. Hearty and big, and for 9.7%, I felt the alcohol was hidden ok. I really enjoyed the beer, and am glad I refrigerated it to keep the hop profile.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 16, 2005
Kinda subdued aroma for an Avery beer. Mild hops and some sweetness and a touch of mint. Tea colored with a firm thumb thick head. Perfect head by my account. More of a malt profile than I expected. I was ready to hate this (I waited a month from purchase time to drink it) but this has equal parts malt sweetness and hop bitterness. It puts the beer firmly in the balanced category. Avery usually goes overboard with the hops, but like with the Hog Heaven they did it right on this beer. It’s a nice sipping beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - JUL 13, 2005
Bottled. Amber coloured. Hoppy and fruity aroma. Quite sweet flavour with hops and fruits. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUL 13, 2005
I suppose I am of the camp which believes that Double IPA should have almost no malt character. I don’t want my ideology on this score to trump objective review of Avery’s Maharaja, but I suppose it does, to a certain extent. The malt is big, thick and sweet, which combine with the big, thick and sweet hop character to make the beer a tad monolithic. Still enjoyable, but just a bit too fused for my taste. Frankly, if I want a hop fix, I would actually pick Avery’s basic IPA over this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CamdenD (1113) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUL 12, 2005
Alcohol unsurprisingly dominates this brew, but in a bad way. Reminded me a bit of the 2004 Big A IPA from Smuttynose: just way too sloppy with the booze. Had this on tap and struggled through it. Was a bit optimistic with the alcohol nose, thinking perhaps this was an IIPA that did not fear showing it’s ABV, but in the end just tasted like an IPA spiked.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 12, 2005
Lightly hazed coppery crimson hue, under an adequate layer of beigish foam. Nose reeks of hops. Piney and citric, yeah, ripe and luscious, a refreshingly lively aroma, very raw, like steeping ones senses in the freshest form of hops. Taste: thick with hoppiness, again, rich and full of flavor, not the least bit timid....hops and bitterness hang on the palate, dig in deep, stay a spell... this is a menacing monster of an IPA, and I want to make it my friend! A challenging ale, but exactly the challenge we hopheads require...each sip releases a succor which enacts a sublime kind of pleasure... (that means I liked it! ;^)... Full-bodied, intensely flavored, long, bitter, fruity finish... The Maharaja is a mighty ruler and commands the palate in full, it’s reign lasts long beyond the length of the 22 ounce bottle...if you love the homulus lupus, he has you in his sway, no questions asked...damned good stuff. Ranks among the best IIPAs I’ve had, somewhere in there, anyway...blessedly hoppy, leaving hop trails all along the palate...goodness, they’re coming out of my burps, now, too...may I say? a very nice drink, for those of us on the hoppy side...oh, yeah!!!