overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3281   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rfelderhoff (3) - USA - FEB 9, 2004 does not count
Definately a beer for celebrating! Definitely good malt flavor. Just the right level of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
skaughty (647) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - FEB 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2004 Nice color and strong head. The "maltiness" was enviable, but the "woodiness" is not for me. I can see why this is so highly regarded, just not my favorite of the type. Something so fruity and smokey at the same time just wasn't right with me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Wow, this is a hell of a doubble bock. Great looking beer with a serious foam crown. Roasted malty aroma with a definate presence of yeasts. Thick roasted malts taste with a slight bitter hoppy after taste. Great balance and a smooth palate make this d-bock a solid winner

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - FEB 4, 2004
am giving this brew the ultimate in high rankings because of its greatness, and I can see everyone else who has tried one agrees. I have been drinking this one for years. last night a friend and I had a few over at my place, and I took some notes. Pours deep chocolate brown, nice tan head with excellent retention. Thick lace adheres well to glass. Aroma is like cookie dough and bread combined. Malty sweetness is the first thing I come up with upon drinking, and then this flavor rapidly grows to a warming, nutty mouthfeel. Drinkability was exceptional. I had four bottles and wanted more. Didn't have any left, so we went to the Ayinger Marzen, and it simply didn't match up, as good as it was. One of my all time favorites, and I don't see a lot of this style to compare to. I wonder if the guys at Victory could do something like it?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Baroque1977 (25) - Southeastern, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 3, 2004
The best Doppelbock, period. Abundantly fruity and yeasty, perfectly balanced, and eminently drinkable. Just wish it was easier to find!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Britales (56) - Cape Charles, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Don't get me wrong this is a nice doppelbock, great color ,nice tan head, essence of roast malt and prunes. Maybe it's the fact that I think almost all of the Ayinger products are overated. Good beer but not in my top 5 D'bocks!1

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 30, 2004
UPDATED: APR 18, 2004 oh baby. this is hitting the spot. the head isn't as creamy as in the commercial description, but boy does this beer deliver on taste. tastes like lightly salted plums grilled with a few wood chips. a bit of a pleasant dry finish. i wish i had another one...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jzzbassman (1522) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - JAN 29, 2004
I'd been dying to try this, and it is definitely the best Dopplebock I've had to date. Very thick mouthfeel, malty, with slight bitterness in the end. Well-hidden alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JAN 28, 2004
Tan head with a brown color body. Huge malty aroma. Thick beer with a great malty taste. Very sticky. Slightly noticeable alcohol but a very drinkable brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frink (467) - coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 24, 2004
Nice but quickly diminishing light brown head. Deep mahogany colour. Toasted malty aroma mildly hoppy. Full body huge malts, bitter with a good dry bitter finish. Ah crap ! my glass is empty.