overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3618   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 18, 2005
This rich beer has chocolate, caramel and coffee overtones. Unbelievably dark -- If you hold the glass up to a light, you’ll be pressed to see it shine through. Not quite as thick or creamy (or as good) as Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout, but it is still a very good beer for someone who wants something a bit heavier with more body.

3daddict (139) - Portland, Maine, USA - JUL 17, 2005
Dark brown pour with a smallish tan head. Caramel malt aroma. Exceedingly smooth malted flavor with lingering toffee malt aftertaste. Creamy yeast texture on palate. No hint of the 6.7abv. Simply excellent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
pinkzambia (1803) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 14, 2005
11.2 oz Bottle: I poured it too aggressively and it produced a gigantic, light-brown, frothy head that ran down the side of my stein! Eventually, most of it disappeared with a tiny one remaining to the end. It has rich malty aromas with flavors of creamy coffee and pitted fruit such as prunes and raisins. It is dark brown in color and has a smooth and thick body. A sticky lacing was observed. I also detected a slight metallic aftertaste as well (at first annoying, but later not noticed as much). I thought it would be appropriate in trying my first doppelbock to whip out my Bavarian stein that I have had for about 5 years (souvenir gift from mom in law), but never used. I washed the dust off, cooled it off for a few minutes in the freezer and poured the brew. As I drank this smashingly labyrinthine beer, I felt like dancing with the people on the stein! Vielen vielen Dank!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2007 Good-looking, good-smelling, good-tasting beer. Malty smooth, more body than you would expect from the pour. Creamy taste and feel, then its gone. Very good beer. Bottle comes with a little horsey toy. Wish it came with an extra ounce instead.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DerWeg (1593) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 9, 2005
330cl. I like the big malty (barnyardy?) wallop of this hitting the palate, this is fairly sweet but pretty complex and interesting in all the roast malt flavors. Dark and tropical fruits, caramelized brown sugar, fleeting touches of coffee bitterness. I do feel Celebrator while good is slightly expensive and I tend to favor the larger-portioned Weltenburger Asam-Bock (for me just as good and perhaps slighly more balanced for my liking.) Worth experiencing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jcwattsrugger (12185) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 8, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2005 11 oz bottle-pours a tan, creamy textured head that held a steady 1 finger high, until I started drinking. Color is a clear dark brown, deep amber. Aroma is malty and____? Taste is a deep malty, nice. Slight aftertaste, but no bite. Not the style of beer that I’d say was a type I expected to care for, but it is quite enjoyable, I am sure I will get this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 7, 2005
The aroma had dark fruit, plums, raisins, and malty sweetness. The flavor was sweet w/ dark fruit, malts and plums/raisin note. The mouthfeel was full bodied and creamy. The beer poured a deep rich brown color w/ red highlights; no head and lacing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TURDFERGUSON (4045) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 5, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2006 i havent even lifted this beer up to my nose and i can already sense the complex aroma of this great brew. very dark in color. smells bananas, cherries, and lots and lots of malt. Amazing taste, very drinkable. Word up, Goat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - JUL 5, 2005
on tap at Geoffrey’s Pub, nice pour in proper glassware. Dark reddish/brown pour with a nice creamy off white head. Roasty malt aroma is all I could pick up over the food the people next to me were eating. Slightly fruity start, maybe some raisin or plum. Nice roasted malt presence in the middle-end. Good complexity, good mouthfeel, excellent beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
puzzl (3259) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 5, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2007 Well, not the most complex beer in the world, but I’ll be damned if it ain’t damn delicious. Deep black with a nice foam head rising nearly an inch above my glass (hell yeah!). Aroma of sweet malt, melon, cherries, honey, maybe even some soft cheese. Drinking this beer is like drinking a chocolate malt milkshake. Palate is perfect, never once seeming too thin or too thick. Leaves no nasty aftertaste, no offensive tastes whatsoever (as I’ve found almost every single beer does to some degree). Flavor is robustly malty though never overbearing, and hops are perfectly balanced without even leaving a pinch of bitterness. A+