overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3168   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
VAYankee (327) - Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2003
Appearance: dark brown with respectable tan head. Aroma: roasted malt, just a hint of hops; overall a slightly sweet very appealing odor. Warm, full, malty, slightly smoky flavor that thankfully lingers. Excellent job of balancing several malts, and hops to create a very complex brew. Of note: a little expensive ($3.99 per bottle) to enjoy on a very frequent basis .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - JUN 6, 2003
Wow! A really great bock beer. I can't believe I haven't tried it before now, but I know why. It isn't cheap. I paid $10 for 4 bottles of it. Poured out a deep chocolate brown color with a muddy tan head. Left a decent lacing all the way down the side of the glass. Aromas mostly of roasted malts, with a citrus hop aroma to it as well. Looks almost like a stout. Tastes strongly of malts, with an alcohol bite to it as well. Very warming to the old gut. A complex beer if ever there was one. Slight hops middle to it. Coats the tongue & palate with a thick, chewy consistency. Almost a meal in itself. Goes very well with my special meatloaf & roasted potatoes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - JUN 3, 2003
Finally able to get my hands on some of this brew and it was well worth the wait. Superb aroma of sweet malts, caramel, and some grain in there too, but all is perfectly balanced saying "drink me". Deep rich colors with a generous head that leaves a clingy lace on the glass, Flavor was sweet off the top transitioning smoothly into a solid malt base and finishing dry and clean. Positivly a world class beer that I will now keep in my regular selection.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sambo (3) - huntington beach, California, USA - MAY 31, 2003 does not count
Its not often that something with as much aclaim, holds up its end. From the wonderful head when pooured, to the after taste that makes you want more. If this beer was school work, it would definately be on the fridge, or at least in the fridge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2003 This is probably one of the best dopplebocks in my opinion. Dark brown with a slight tan head. Aroma is earthy and grainy. Almost like an oat aroma that is sweet. Great blending of malts, some obviously roasted. Very smooth and drinkable. Slightly sweet and fruity. Another great beer from a great brewer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
brian1233 (30) - North Augusta, South Carolina, USA - MAY 29, 2003
I wish I could get this locally. I could see myself drinking a lot of this. I had heard good things about this beer and I have to say that I'm not disappointed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
WabashMan (1009) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAY 28, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 A really good doppelbock with a depth of flavor and wonderful complexity is, often, the perfect beer. If you want to sit and relax and aren't in for anything too high in alcohol or hops or whatever else, this style is simply great. Among them, this particular beer has to be one of the best. A great, delicious aroma...that is followed up by an equally delicious flavor. I could TRY to put its complexities into words...but you really just need to try this one for yourself to appreciate it. A great beer!

jkrzoska (3) - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, USA - MAY 28, 2003 does not count
Not nearly as overpowering as it would appear to be from looks alone. Nice aroma and very good taste. Interesting as the taste differs slightly as the beer warms up. Quite spendy though

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2003 A very asthetically pleasing beer. Pours a creamy, tan head and is a dark ruby color. A beautiful lacing was left on the glass. As for flavor, I am not too experienced with dopplebocks, but I can say that I began to like this the more that I drank it. It was very rich and flavorful. A very pleasant sweet, fruity flavor with mild hopiness. A slight roasted/chocolate aftertaste was noticed. Overall I was impressed with this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 25, 2003
This kept getting better the more I drank! Dark brown almost ruby in color with a medium off-white head. Excellent aroma of sweetness, malts, and freshly bailed hay. Great malty flavors and very well balanced the alcohol comes through in a very subtle fashion. The best dopplebock I have had to date.