overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3196   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JUL 24, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2004 one of the first really wonderful beers i ever had. very rich and sweet. i use it as a benchmark for the strong german beers. nice late night drink too. for some reason have had fluctuating quality, draft seems consistently good. recommend it so highly.

1.2
   AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
rockydog (11) - martinsbug, West Virginia, USA - JUL 24, 2003
Years ago, the only good beer store around talked me into trying this. I paid like 6 bucks for one bottle. Just to try The worst, nastiest imitation Tar Ive ever put to my lips. So bad I didnt even take more then a few sips. I only took more then one sip just because I couldnt believe the crap I was tasting and the fact I paid 6 bucks for one bottle. Gave to my brother who long liked German beers. He didnt care for it.... I wouldnt let you give this to my dog.... Suitable only for resurfacing your driveway....Ill have to retry it some day to see if its bad as I remember.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2003
Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a near solid black showing a very dark brown-red when held up to light with a small beige off-white head. Aroma is of sour apples hiding a small hint of coffee. Flavor is sour with a slight hop giving way to a clean, coffee finish. Very nice. Great beer. Smooth and easy to drink. Sampled at 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jsquire (3423) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JUL 21, 2003
Jewel like deep red color when held to the light. Dark sweetness of raisin, molasses, sherry and brown sugar without any harsh flavors. Very well balanced. Great double bock.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haddon90 (1450) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2003
Very dark pour with a nice tan head. Very nice aroma! Some malts and caramel in the taste. A very good drink with my dinner the night I had it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - JUL 20, 2003
Very dark with a thick tan colored head that mostly receded but left some on top. Nose of brown sugar and butter warming in a skillet, with hints of alcohol. Medium bodied, with sweet salty caramel flavors that melt in your mouth, very smooth. Bittersweet finish. Sip while contemplating the work of art bottle and it's little bock angel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2003
Got in a trade with a friend. It was well worth the two bottles of old horizontal I traded her. The intial smell was amazing. Huge maltly accents with all sorts of different parts, from choclates and coffees to fruits like raisons and plums. Definitely a smoky flavor as the description claims. I really enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SchlossyMcSaus (75) - San Marcos, California, USA - JUL 15, 2003
Very thin head, but some bubbling to keep your interest on the deep, dark liquid. A bready, malty aroma. Bit this just doesn't live up to the fantastic image on the bottle. Luckily its flavor and aroma do not conjure up thoughts of horny goats rubbing my brew, it is in fact quite mild, a little licorice present. It is smooth, you could drink a lot of it and get really messed up quickly if you didn't watch yourself, but I do prefer bolder flavors in my Doppels. Plastic Goat Bonus Points Awarded!

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2004 I've sampled this one numerous times. It used to leave me feeling "underwhelmed". The flavors are subtle and tend to come together very late... near the last sip. Strong cola elements have also interfered with my ability to completely fall in love with this beer. However, after repeated samples and finally finding the temperature that works best with it, I'm growing increasingly fond of this complex but subtle and delicate brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUL 12, 2003
One hell of a double bock. Full-bodied, dark brown, malty with excellent aroma and flavor. Hints of chocolate, carmel, and molasses with a toasted flavor in there somewhere.