Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3471   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

hopdog (10266) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Another beer that I used to drink in mass when I was a teenager. Sitting here rating it brings backs the memories (or should I say lack of memories!). What a head! 90% of the glass poured a tan head. Color is a darker reddish brown. Malty sweet aroma and tastes. Caramel and dark fruits. Smooth and easy to drink.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Too sweet for me. Complete agreement with the previous review. The sweetness masks all the other intended flavors.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kane (111) - USA - OCT 21, 2004
UPDATED: APR 3, 2005 As a start, I have never "gotten" this beer in 20 years of beer drinking. I have always found this too sweet to the point where the sweetness covers up any roasted malts or hops. I have always found Salvator to be a much better beer for its style, if looking for a German Dopplebock.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2007 WOW...what a beer! very dark and creamy....roasted, smoky, woody, raisony; chocolate, coffee, and vanilla notes for flavor...aroma is wonderful (very sweet!) wonderful palate, very creamy; my first BOCK, and now one of my favorite beers

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
st23jt26 (17) - Charlesbourg, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 17, 2004
La couleur d’une stout mais avec des reflets légèrement plus cuivrés. Mousse plutôt grossière qui s’estompe rapidement. Au nez, quelques arômes fruités mais très légèrement. Le malt est prédominent mais quoique plutôt subtile. Corpulente en bouche, et crémeuse. Palais chocolat avec la teinte et l’onctuosité du beurre. Très bonne bière.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kinz (3567) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2007 Been years since I had this. I’m just not a bock fan, but given this beer’s exalted status on this site, I figured it was worth another look. Dark brown, nice head, an attractive beer. Aroma smelled like a freshly opened can of malt extract before dumping it in the brew pot. Flavor matches. Sweet, a bit smokey, but really just tastes like homebrew wert. Maybe that is why it is so popular. Maybe that’s why I still don’t like this beer. RERATE: 10/14/07 as part of BJCP training session. No change in score or notes at all, I still just don’t like this beer. Everybody else in the training group was busy erecting alters to the brewers while I sat cringing. I don’t think I’m ever going to dig this one, just not to my tastes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - OCT 13, 2004
This is dark brown with a light chestnut head. The flavor starts with dark chocolate and caramel and ends with roasted coffee. fruitiness interlaces the chocolate and caramels with fig and plum and a hint of hazelnut at the finish. One of the better Doppelbocks you’ll find.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - OCT 12, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2005 Very dark, creamy white head. Amazing aroma, really sweet and fragrant. Silky smooth mouth feel and huge malty flavor. I love bock beers and this is certainly one of the best I have ever had. RERATE 6/6/05. Lets see if this retains it’s lofty score. 11.2oz bottle. Tasted at ~45° in my NB worthy glass. The beer pours dark reddish brown with a medium-small, quickly fading head. The aroma is a monster! Huge caramelly maly, milk chocolate, some lactic sourness, maybe a bit nutty? The beer is very full. The taste is caramel, dark fruits, toffee, chocolate, smoke?, and a slight, fleeting bitterness that offsets the huge malt character. Never once is this beer cloying, in fact it is really not that sweet, just full of flavor. The commercial deScription is right on with the finish; "faintly smoky dryness" is about right on. How in the hell do you get these flavors in a lager? In looking at my previous scores, I might drop the palate to a 4, but then I might bump the flavor up to a 9, which would make it a 4.7 anyway. No change in the score. This is by far the best lager I have ever had, bar none.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SED43 (23) - Manhattan, New York, USA - OCT 10, 2004
Malty cherry molasses with a light cup of coffee and cream The fruityness is impecably complex and delicious. Dark honeyed nectar with a micro bubbled lacy head all over the glass of a snifter. Nutty cherries with molasses coffee and cream. Thick mouthy and very throaty. Quiet sensations as it going down. Then packs with the kick in the pants. That should be expected considering 6.7%ABV. Not alcoholy in the least. Overall its quite a damn habit forming type of stout. Always a pleasure if to have one or ten. Preferably the foremost. ;^) And definately a must try for those who are new to www.ratebeer.com/

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
exquicorp (7) - USA - OCT 7, 2004 does not count
Rich complex pumpernickel and espresso flavours. A very deep and luscious beer. Being used to Amberbock I was quite taken aback by the depth of the beer - not overpowering, but definitely a stern strong beer. Highly recommended.