overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3194   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hotstuff (4069) - Indiana, USA - APR 6, 2003
Bottle.Head was thin.I found this doppelbock to be dark and creamy.Some chocolate and fruity flavor to it.Not an overpowering doppelbock.All in all I was impressed and would definitely like to drink this brew again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - APR 4, 2003
I'm not averse to bocks, but this is one of those beers that just makes me think, is there any better style. Such a fantastically dark colour, with just a hint of red light making its way through. Chocolate, toffee aroma, with just a hint of fresh roasted nuts. Smooth and full flavour, chocolatey with a mild hop presence on the tongue. The body ensures the flavour hangs around on your tongue until it eventually fades away. Why can't I buy this one back home? Life's not fair.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jonas (5614) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - APR 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2006 Burned sugar and slight chocolate aroma. Black redness, creamy brown head with lace. toffee, chocolate and espresso, yet a nice prickly freshness on the tip of the tongue. Oily mouthfeel, sparkly mouthfeel - long lingering sticky sweetness like eating sirup with spoons - in a good way
Earlier Rating: 3/10/2003 Total Score: 3.8
Brown to red topped with a low but stable head. This is basically a stronger and fuller version of their dunkel. Long an dark maltflavors - like a winter night :-)

hoped (18) - Arizona, USA - MAR 31, 2003
Tasted on 03-17-2003. I believe this is my first Doppelbock. Thick brown head reduces to a thin layer. Garnet color. Combined smell of raisins, plums and bananas. Caramel flavor with some chocolate, slight mint and alchohol taste. Much smoother than I anticipated. Silky mouthfeel. I guess I will need to try this one again, after tasting other Doppelbocks, to be able to appreciate the true beauty of this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - MAR 25, 2003
Dark brown with a somewhat khaki head. Sweet, dark aroma comprised of roast malts, touch of chocolate, touch of coffee, load of toast, load of bread ,and just a touch of molasses. Less lager twang than most dopplebocks that I have had and very smooth. Semi sweet with a roasty finish and a touch of cotton candy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5218) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Pours a dark, rich brown with a foamy, creamy tan head. The slight aroma of cocoa and slight coffee with a hint of hop bitterness. Wonderful taste of instant coffee along with a milk chocolate and smokiness. Very pleasant and creamy on the palate. Finishes dry with a slight bittersweet aftertaste. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 22, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2003 Draught: Wonderfully smooth and creamy, I tasted some coffee and banana flavors. Not quite my style, but great nonetheless. Rerate: I think a rerate is due, the first time I rated this I had never experienced a doppelbock before. Bottle this time., just slightly chilled. Dark ruby brown color, big and soft cream head. Overwhelming aroma of raisin bran cereal with sliced banans atop, yeast, malt, and caramel. Balance of bitter and sweet malt flavors, banana, mocha, full body, thick and creamy, touch of smoke, but with a faint metallic aftertaste. I think I may have found the hops as well. The palate is incredible, so smooth and delicate, perfect carbonation. An amazing beer. I celebrate Ayinger for this work of art.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 22, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2005 The taste of this beer was very understated, and very unexpected. Bottle. It was such a smooth beer for the body, though it did have a very strong aftertaste compliments of its abv i guess. Not too much of a casual sipping beer, but would have gone better with some food. This beer seemed like it was lacking, probably a bit old, and I imagine the difference of this on draught to bottle is large. must try it.
Rerate. Bottle again. Still couldnt get in to it. It had a good balanced feel but it has a muted almost old hops taste. The flavor is not bursting, there is nothing overly unique that I taste. Hmm, I guess I’ll just have to try more.
On draught 2005 at Anam Cara. I don’t think it’s quite a fair rating, as this stuff must certainly be better in Aying. But regardless, it was HEAVILY carbonated, had the texture and body of cola and though the flavors were even, it wasnt overly flavorful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 21, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2003 A fantastic Double Bock. Celebrator is dark, creamy, and chocolaty. To me it has the aroma of a framboise, raspberry, lambic. It smells of sweet ripe raspberries. I highly recommend the Celebrator.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAR 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2003 Wow! The germans certainly know what they are doing. This lucious concoction has enough prune flavor to keep me regular for weeks, not to mention the smokey mellow sweetness and seductive aroma of a great doppelbock. Definately deserving of its high ranking. This brew is a pleasure to drink.