overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3574   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crockett (1067) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 6, 2004
Pours deep red brown with a little tan head. Roasted malt, brandy and madiera aroma. Smooth mouthfeel. I picked up tinned mushrooms almost immediately, I hope there was nothing wrong with the bottle. Light chocolate and brown sugar. Some burnt, and dull smoke lingers. Fruity slightly soured hops. Sweet malty finish. I will have to find another bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - NOV 4, 2004
Nice big off white head. Satisfying dark cloudy red colour. Nice fruity malty aroma. Pleasent sweet malt flavour with a light balance of bitter hops. very smooth and drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Pours a Deep dark cherry with thick creamy head.I really enjoy the nose from this.Can I use the commercial desc. for this? Sheez, the fruity nose is hypnotic.I mean,you candetect the malts and hops but the fruitiness,wow.And not over the top obnoxious but smooth and balanced.Buuuuutttt,the flavor is bitter and the beauty of that fruitiness is lost.I get malt and burnt something.nice body but the bitterness to strong.

hopdog (10913) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 29, 2004
Another beer that I used to drink in mass when I was a teenager. Sitting here rating it brings backs the memories (or should I say lack of memories!). What a head! 90% of the glass poured a tan head. Color is a darker reddish brown. Malty sweet aroma and tastes. Caramel and dark fruits. Smooth and easy to drink.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Too sweet for me. Complete agreement with the previous review. The sweetness masks all the other intended flavors.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kane (111) - USA - OCT 21, 2004
UPDATED: APR 3, 2005 As a start, I have never "gotten" this beer in 20 years of beer drinking. I have always found this too sweet to the point where the sweetness covers up any roasted malts or hops. I have always found Salvator to be a much better beer for its style, if looking for a German Dopplebock.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 18, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2007 WOW...what a beer! very dark and creamy....roasted, smoky, woody, raisony; chocolate, coffee, and vanilla notes for flavor...aroma is wonderful (very sweet!) wonderful palate, very creamy; my first BOCK, and now one of my favorite beers

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
st23jt26 (17) - Charlesbourg, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 17, 2004
La couleur d’une stout mais avec des reflets légèrement plus cuivrés. Mousse plutôt grossière qui s’estompe rapidement. Au nez, quelques arômes fruités mais très légèrement. Le malt est prédominent mais quoique plutôt subtile. Corpulente en bouche, et crémeuse. Palais chocolat avec la teinte et l’onctuosité du beurre. Très bonne bière.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kinz (3696) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 15, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 16, 2007 Been years since I had this. I’m just not a bock fan, but given this beer’s exalted status on this site, I figured it was worth another look. Dark brown, nice head, an attractive beer. Aroma smelled like a freshly opened can of malt extract before dumping it in the brew pot. Flavor matches. Sweet, a bit smokey, but really just tastes like homebrew wert. Maybe that is why it is so popular. Maybe that’s why I still don’t like this beer. RERATE: 10/14/07 as part of BJCP training session. No change in score or notes at all, I still just don’t like this beer. Everybody else in the training group was busy erecting alters to the brewers while I sat cringing. I don’t think I’m ever going to dig this one, just not to my tastes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - OCT 13, 2004
This is dark brown with a light chestnut head. The flavor starts with dark chocolate and caramel and ends with roasted coffee. fruitiness interlaces the chocolate and caramels with fig and plum and a hint of hazelnut at the finish. One of the better Doppelbocks you’ll find.