overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3245   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 24, 2003
The head is creamy, a little more than off white, but not quite tan. Dark with ruby tones. Slowly diminishing. Chocolatey, malty aroma. Very malty. The flavors are somewhat subdued, so I'm going to let it warm some more before finishing the rating. Complex malts, alcohol is completely concealed. I love Ayinger.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
albasini (11) - USA - JAN 21, 2003
Full body, great dark flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 21, 2003
Dark red brown color topped by a thick lasting tan head with good lace. slightly sweet strong malt aroma with a slight nuttiness. Slightly sweet strong malt flavor with a nutty smokey background. Great flavor. full bodied, slightly dry and fairly smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
666seth (222) - California, USA - JAN 20, 2003
Very good version of a traditional "dopplebock". pours in dark with nice creamy head. Sweet, malty bitter alltogether very complex feel in your mouth!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badgerben (4479) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 19, 2003
Oh man... this was only the second dopplebock I tried and it was so very, very good. I'm a fan of the dark brews and this is one of the kings. So smooth, not overpowering yet not weak. A little malty, but everything is just balanced wonderfully.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - JAN 17, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2004 I think it's my favorite dopplebock right now with Weltenburger Asam-bock a very close second. Very nice. Excellent dopple with a lot of complexity. Starts slightly sweet then a second later the caramel, coffee and chocolate hit. Not a sweet and strong as one like Spaten Optimator. This one is on another level of complexity. Nice lace. Lively carbonation. Has some spice to it. Rerate 021304: I haven't had this in a long time. When I saw it for $1.69, I had to buy it. My rating will not change. This is so good, I can't beleive I haven't had this more often. In addition to my review above, I taste some wood in it. It's so different from the ho bombs I like so much these days, but I like it just as much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2003 Not to bad. I have had better doppelbocks, but it has a wonderful malty flavor and a dryness that I really like. It has a very nice palate to it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
49degrees (49) - British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 15, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2003 In my books, Ayinger"s Dopplebock is the one for which all others are ranked against. Ayinger"s rendition which is routinely found in bottled with white tin wrapping and a plastic ram wrapped around the neck. It pours exceptionally dark, giving off a great big carmel toned head which gives way to a strong collar and great lacing on the glass. Its is quite oily, yet creamy and pleasing to the palette and despite usually a beer pegged for the spring, I find it makes for a suprinsingly good warming beer for these (El Nino influenced) winter months. Hints of toffee, coffee and caramel come through in the aroma and are right there on the palette in drinking, as too are some spicey hints and a raisiny sort of texture. A great brew worthy of a closer look by all beer enthusiasts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Oristo (67) - Orinda, California, USA - JAN 12, 2003
Nice think tan head, diminishing to a thin layer. No lace to speak of. Great malty nose. Classic german Bock ... terrific finish, well balanced and lingering.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kodos (200) - USA - JAN 4, 2003
Large well formed lasting head. Malt/molasses/caramel in the nose. Taste is immediately sweet..cocoa? then mellows and finally ends in a perfect dry hoppy bite. My absolute fave Doppel.