overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3134   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 11, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2009 I got this one after viewing the top 20 and found this at my local liquor store. When poured into a glass, the darkness is reminiscent of a good porter, the off white head lasts for quite some time as well. The taste is smooth and sweet with no overbearing alcohol flavor. Nice and creamy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - JUN 10, 2002
Deep dark brown with ruby edges.Tan foamy head. Plums, carmel, alcohol, toffee in nose and flavor. Better as it warms. A bit over carbonated, I recommend a hard pour. Quite a treat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dprior (118) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 9, 2002
After hearing my roomate rave about this beer, I stole some of his. My goodness. I’ve yet to seek out my own bottle, but I think that’s just because I’m afraid it will break my bank. It got the perfect blend of malts/sweets/hops. It left my tounge yearning for more. Simply the best beer I think I’ve ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 2, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2003 Okay, I am a fan of dark beers and I have to agree with alot of other people that this is the best doppelbock out there. It has a wonderful dark color and lovely aroma to it. The body is great and the taste is wonderful

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Dark, thick and chewy! OK, not REALLY chewy, but somehow it seems chewy. Or maybe that’s because I was watching Star Wars while drinking it. It really is a wonderfully dark and tasty beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2002
Very good beer but a little thicker than i expected.

Dogbrick (7243) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 29, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2003 Rerate 1/30/03: I always ask myself: What is the perfect beer? At the end of the day, it really isn't the best tasting beer or the best looking beer, it is a beer that I would not change anything about if I had my way. After trying this beer on draught in a Celebrator glass at the Refectory here in Columbus, I realize I have found the perfect beer. My first perfect score. 5/29/02 (4.8) This beer is about as close to perfect as possible for me. Unbelievably easy to drink, with a light smooth malty flavor that was not too sweet. Balanced perfectly by the alcohol ratio. Just a whisper of chocolate in the aroma and flavor as well. Very dark with a medium thick beige head that diminished rather quickly, but who cares, because it was between me and this amazing beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 OK, I'm a novice (it's a dopple-what?), so the words I have to describe this beer are seriously lacking. But, this is an absolutely great beer. I had no idea what to expect, but I certainly expected something heavier. This is light and almost sparkly in the mouth. It is tremendous. All of the flavors I read about came through clearly, particularly some sort of tangy berriness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2002
Good strong brew. Thick...like motor oil. But it will screw u up

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - MAY 25, 2002
I have been eye-ing this beer for a long time because it has had a long standing on the ratebeer Top Ten. I have to say, this is one of the most solid brews I have ever had the pleasure to sample. The malt complexity overwhelms ... it would definitely take two or three to place all of the malt styles. The hops blends beautifully. This is a beer to introduce to all of your macrobrew loyalist friends. A must have for autumn, but delicious year round.