overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Doppelbock
Aying, Germany

RATINGS: 3208   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Celebrator has a creamy head of tight bubbles contrasting beautifully with its profound dark robe. It is full-bodied and velvety from half a year’s aging. Although it is strong, it is not overpowering. There is a wonderful and complex balance between the various malts, the alcohol and the subtle hops. A complex fruitiness of roasted malt and whole hop flowers make Celebrator great as a party drink with friends and family at celebrations. Despite its richness, it has a faintly smoky dryness in the finish.

Dogbrick (8126) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 29, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2003 Rerate 1/30/03: I always ask myself: What is the perfect beer? At the end of the day, it really isn't the best tasting beer or the best looking beer, it is a beer that I would not change anything about if I had my way. After trying this beer on draught in a Celebrator glass at the Refectory here in Columbus, I realize I have found the perfect beer. My first perfect score. 5/29/02 (4.8) This beer is about as close to perfect as possible for me. Unbelievably easy to drink, with a light smooth malty flavor that was not too sweet. Balanced perfectly by the alcohol ratio. Just a whisper of chocolate in the aroma and flavor as well. Very dark with a medium thick beige head that diminished rather quickly, but who cares, because it was between me and this amazing beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 OK, I'm a novice (it's a dopple-what?), so the words I have to describe this beer are seriously lacking. But, this is an absolutely great beer. I had no idea what to expect, but I certainly expected something heavier. This is light and almost sparkly in the mouth. It is tremendous. All of the flavors I read about came through clearly, particularly some sort of tangy berriness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2002
Good strong brew. Thick...like motor oil. But it will screw u up

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - MAY 25, 2002
I have been eye-ing this beer for a long time because it has had a long standing on the ratebeer Top Ten. I have to say, this is one of the most solid brews I have ever had the pleasure to sample. The malt complexity overwhelms ... it would definitely take two or three to place all of the malt styles. The hops blends beautifully. This is a beer to introduce to all of your macrobrew loyalist friends. A must have for autumn, but delicious year round.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - MAY 25, 2002
I would be hard put to choose over this or optimator. Both are smooth with a chocolate flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 24, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2007 On the 7th day the Lord said, ’Let there be Celebrator Doppelbock.’ and it was good. Dark appearance with a hint of ruby coloring, pours a big rich head. Malty fruity aroma that is irresistibly enticing. Silky smooth with chocolate overtones and hints of fruit. Smooth finish of hoppieness and chocolaty malt. Currently my favorite beer in the world. Rerate: I loved it the first time I had it, and this time its even better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nate (3727) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2002
This is a really nice doppelbock (thanks legion242). Malty, pleasing aroma - the comfort food of beer. Dark, dark brown with off-white head. Smooth, pleasing palate. Wonderful taste (even my wife enjoyed this) with nice finish. Well-balanced - would definitely drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - MAY 22, 2002
A mighty complex brew. Lovely chocolate brown with a thick mocha head that stuck around. Nice scent here--plenty of chocolate. Also pleasing notes of cookies, very warm and fresh. Taste is predictably rich with the expected load of chocolate with a surprising bit of fruitiness. Finish is nice, with some nuttiness and smokiness, with the alcohol being more prevalent at the end. Good texture, nice and creamy. Improves as it warms. Quite nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAY 22, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2006 A very fine dopplebock. Complex with heavy notes of caramel and chocolate. Personally I’d rather have an Aventinus or Salvator. Re-rate 10/24/06: Pours a deep clear brown with a lasting beautiful lace. The aroma is biscuity malts, lots of caramelization, and a faintness of alcohol. The body is only med., and very highly carbonated making the beer seem far thinner. The flavors are super clean malt, chocolate nougat, and browned toast sprinkled with cinnamon. Unfortunately the beer is both pasteurized and overcarbonated. The overcarbonation is distracting but the pasteurization makes the beer far less complex than many of the finer US versions, including Sam Adams, a fine doppelbock.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - MAY 21, 2002
UPDATED: APR 21, 2004 Excellent! Malty, dark, with a full-bodied bite without too much bitterness. This is like drinking alcoholic chocolate.