Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Aying, Germany
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 1323   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Ayinger Oktober Fest Märzen has a deep golden color tinted with amber. It is lightly sweet with a malty nose balanced with floral hops. Its medium to big body and alcohol is not overpowering. The soft dryness comes from long maturation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jgentgesdo (683) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - APR 3, 2005
Pours beautiful cloudy golden with smallish off-white head. Nose is malty, mild spice, with a faint floral hint. The flavor is sweet, mildly spiced, more aromatic than cinnamon or pumkinspice. Nice malt towards the middle. Reminds me of tilled earth towards the end. Nice slightly hoppy end. Very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAR 10, 2005
Pours golden/orange crystal clear with a big loose head. Earthy and grassy aromas. Lots of carbonation. Aroma is sweet and malty. Flavor has a slight nuttiness and an even more slight charcoal flavor. Nice creamy mouthfeel. Smooth and medium bodied. Easy drinking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
presario (4901) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 8, 2005
Clear gold . Thick white head. Strong sharp pilsener-like aroma. Spicy warm-malt flavour. Delicious with huge cookie flavour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 5, 2005
Pours gold with a tannish head. Tastes slightly bitter and malty. Very average. I figured I should consume this one since it’s been sitting in my cellar since September.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enormo (26) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - MAR 4, 2005
This beer is the closest thing you can get to actually having the beer they serve at the fest. Although this particular brewery is not represented at the fest, it is the best representation of the beer they serve and it brings back a lot of great memories of when I was there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mj23 (63) - south holland, Illinois, USA - MAR 1, 2005
Tan head lasted a bit.Lacing thru the glass. Poured a cloudy orange not nice looking. Taste was sweeter than expected little finish. Not impressed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - FEB 14, 2005
on draft freakn frog las vegas: poured nice brown orange color with a tan biscuit head. nose gives you a bit of malt but served too cold to tell. flavors of nice bread and nut malt. with a nice med. bodied backbone on the palate. quite a light beer but good and easy to drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
cathcacr (644) - Oregon, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2005 Not one to fiddle-fart around, I went straight to the top, the standard setter, the big honcho, the head cheese of the Oktoberfesten-Marzen model, from the makers of the world’s top rated Doppelbockenbrau. My first O-M. Which presents me with some apprehension: Did I get a good bottle? Is this really what Oktoberfesten-Marzen bier is supposed to taste like? I can only go on the basis of what I know. This does strike me as, well, German in character. Germans like those malts. Put some more malts in it and you’ve got a bock. Soft and sweet, some sort of fruity sugariness. I think I must be missing out on something -- maybe it’s that I’m not tasting this in the properly designated month. For some gawdawful reason, I always associated O-M with the color orange, and now I guess I know why.

Aw, heck with it, I’ll cut to the chase: give me some HOPS for crying out loud. Do ze Germans give us brau other than heavily-malted or lagery ones? I’m trying to think here . . . well, I guess they give us wheaty ones, too. Damn. Der Weizendunkelbock mit de Kritik der Reinen Vernunft. Ja. Oddervize vee kill ze girl. Seems you hef forgotten our little deal, Lebowskhee.

Come on, Donny, they were threatening castration. Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SudsyJason (12) - USA - JAN 27, 2005
Pours a honey amber with a big fluffly rocky white head. Nice carmelly aroma, subtle hoppiness in the nose. Perfectly balanced in the mouth... exactly what a Maerzen should be. Malty, balanced noble hop bitterness, clean finish. Beautiful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
highlandlad (1448) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - JAN 14, 2005
Gem of a spring ale. Pours an orangey-caramel colour with a lively head. Fresh, zesty hop aroma. Creamy palate. Fabulously refreshing - like a good fruit salad. Pears especially. Hint of nuts in the background. Wonderfully balanced.