overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Aying, Germany
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 1348   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Ayinger Oktober Fest Märzen has a deep golden color tinted with amber. It is lightly sweet with a malty nose balanced with floral hops. Its medium to big body and alcohol is not overpowering. The soft dryness comes from long maturation.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mj23 (63) - south holland, Illinois, USA - MAR 1, 2005
Tan head lasted a bit.Lacing thru the glass. Poured a cloudy orange not nice looking. Taste was sweeter than expected little finish. Not impressed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - FEB 14, 2005
on draft freakn frog las vegas: poured nice brown orange color with a tan biscuit head. nose gives you a bit of malt but served too cold to tell. flavors of nice bread and nut malt. with a nice med. bodied backbone on the palate. quite a light beer but good and easy to drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
cathcacr (646) - Oregon, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2005 Not one to fiddle-fart around, I went straight to the top, the standard setter, the big honcho, the head cheese of the Oktoberfesten-Marzen model, from the makers of the world’s top rated Doppelbockenbrau. My first O-M. Which presents me with some apprehension: Did I get a good bottle? Is this really what Oktoberfesten-Marzen bier is supposed to taste like? I can only go on the basis of what I know. This does strike me as, well, German in character. Germans like those malts. Put some more malts in it and you’ve got a bock. Soft and sweet, some sort of fruity sugariness. I think I must be missing out on something -- maybe it’s that I’m not tasting this in the properly designated month. For some gawdawful reason, I always associated O-M with the color orange, and now I guess I know why.

Aw, heck with it, I’ll cut to the chase: give me some HOPS for crying out loud. Do ze Germans give us brau other than heavily-malted or lagery ones? I’m trying to think here . . . well, I guess they give us wheaty ones, too. Damn. Der Weizendunkelbock mit de Kritik der Reinen Vernunft. Ja. Oddervize vee kill ze girl. Seems you hef forgotten our little deal, Lebowskhee.

Come on, Donny, they were threatening castration. Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SudsyJason (12) - USA - JAN 27, 2005
Pours a honey amber with a big fluffly rocky white head. Nice carmelly aroma, subtle hoppiness in the nose. Perfectly balanced in the mouth... exactly what a Maerzen should be. Malty, balanced noble hop bitterness, clean finish. Beautiful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
highlandlad (1464) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - JAN 14, 2005
Gem of a spring ale. Pours an orangey-caramel colour with a lively head. Fresh, zesty hop aroma. Creamy palate. Fabulously refreshing - like a good fruit salad. Pears especially. Hint of nuts in the background. Wonderfully balanced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jtxx (148) - san antonio, Texas, USA - JAN 13, 2005
Draft (or draught..whats the difference?) Beautiful orange color with small white head..I could drink this all day. Lisa, working at the Flying Saucer, makes this more enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
poivre (14) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 10, 2005
This is definitely one of my favorite oktoberfest examples. I could wish for more nose in this beer, but it’s certainly within acceptable range. A classic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
lordwunjo (46) - California, USA - JAN 8, 2005
This beer has an excellent taste. The palate is somewhat fruity and very flavorful, excellent choice for anyone who likes Oktoberfest beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IMtheOptimator (1164) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - DEC 15, 2004
My last oktoberfest of the season, and what a way to end it! Poured a murky amber/orange with a thin off-white head. Great malty oktoberfest aroma. Taste is malt, malt, with some malt on the side. The depth of the malt flavor almost reminds me of a doppelbock or an eisbock. Flavor and aroma are overall much more pronounced in this oktoberfest than in others. Heavier than a lot of other oktoberfests, but a great contribution to the oktoberfest arena from Ayinger. I still think Avery the Kaiser is the best oktoberfest I’ve had, but this is definitely the best "classic" oktoberfest I’ve enjoyed this season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - DEC 12, 2004
A good, enjoyable beer. Gets better as you drink it and it warms up. Really brings out the malt. Good stuff.