overall
Style: Dunkelweizen
Aying, Germany
Serve in Stein, Weizen

RATINGS: 1075   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Our Ayinger Ur-Weisse is an old-fashioned wheat with some fine roasted malt to give it more color and flavor than golden hefe- weisse. It has an immense crown of lovely foam held proudly above a robe of translucent amber. On the palate, malt and yeast predominate, with a delicious balance of fruit and bread-like yeast. The taste is complex, with suggestions of soft fruit, apple, and, in the finish, perhaps, even cloves.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - AUG 29, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 A great beer. The flavor was unbelievable. It didn't taste like an average beer, it was really good. I would feel bad getting drunk to something as good as this. Absolutely great with lasagna.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 21, 2001
There is no doubt that this beer is rather highly carbonated, but I really like the banana flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2001
I enjoyed this as an after dinner drink. Goes well with a little lemon slice. I can get them fairly cheap. So I will buy again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dins (266) - Texas, USA - AUG 13, 2001

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
joet (2172) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 30, 2001
There’s a weird nose on this. I’ve had a few great local versions of this style in Germany, more crisp, slightly darker, and perhaps even more effervescent but with less tendency to foam.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 16, 2001
A fair beer, looked great, but sadly had a very unipressive taste, which was compounded by loose, foamy bubbles that were not creamy at all. Its not terrible, but not worth my time to drink again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 15, 2001
My 100th Rating! A fair beer. Foamy (not creamy) head contained coarse bubbles, an indication of artificial carbonation. The lackluster taste, along with its fizziness, account for my rather unfavorable opinion of this brew. Looked great; a very dark, cloudy brown, with a lot of sediment. However, the taste was so muted I was not able to distinguish individual flavors, and half way through the glass I stopped caring.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bov (9492) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JUN 7, 2001
brown colour, big head, banana aroma, sweet, corn, full-bodied

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Oakes (12552) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 14, 2001

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
The Friar99 (222) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 12, 2001
Not what I was expecting. It doesn’t lack in flavor, but that flavor doesn’t appeal to me.