B. Nektar Cherry Chipotle Mead

overall

RATINGS: 146   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The sweet matches the heat in this brilliant wine with a kick. We started with Michigan wildflower honey and a ton of Michigan cherry juice. Once fermented, we added a lion’s share of red chipotle peppers to give it a smokey character and medium spice level. A fantastic wine for dessert. Try pairing this with rich chocolate cake.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GlasgowTAD (583) - Glasgow/Aberdeen, SCOTLAND - JUL 17, 2015
Pours a cherry brown. Aroma is cherry compote MEGA. taste is sweet cherries, slight heat and a lot cinammon. Lovely shizniz.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hallinghansen (2385) - Odense S, DENMARK - JUN 14, 2015
Bottle at home. Clear deep red body with no head. Sweet honey, chilies, tart cherries. Long warming aftertaste. Different, but quite good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tchaos (326) - Florida, USA - MAR 18, 2015
Pours a deep, murky red. Aroma of cherries, honey, and spice. Taste is cherry up front, honey through the middle, and a lingering, spicy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hotstuff (4403) - Indiana, USA - MAR 9, 2015
Rated on 9-14-2013 at Fort Wayne, IN Ratebeer gathering (Corked bottle). The aroma is some honey, sweet, peppery and spicy. The flavor is sweet, spicy, peppers, light honey, and cherry. This mead is medium bodied. A sipping mead for sure! A different taste for a mead that I enjoyed. It is worth trying and a mead I would drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2015
Great stuff. Commercial meads are fun to rate for me because I love comparing them to the meads I make. I’m pretty meticulous about my mead-making so I tend to judge off the shelf variants with that in mind. This one has the looks and aroma...with the aroma really coming around as the glass warms. The flavor is very nice but the cherry is a bit more muted than I’d like. Still I love the warming pepperiness that comes on as you finish the glass. I’d definitely buy this again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
orangesol (977) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2015
Brought this one to foofaa’s going away party, gonna miss ya buddy. Pours ruby red with a half finger tall white head, quickly dissipating to nothing at all. Smells great with lots of chipotle spice and cherry juice. Taste is along the same lines with the cherry and honey sweetness up front with the chipotle heat showing itself at the end of each sip. Overall this was much better than I expected. Lots of flavor and still pretty easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
radarsock (1116) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 2, 2015
WillRunForBeer supplied the 500mL bottle -many thanks! To tumbler, it pours a crimson tomato red. Aromas of pureèd dark cherries, molasses, cherry tomatoes, Concord grapes, pottery clay, pumpkin pie spices, and cough suppressant chewables. Chili peppers not detected on the nose. Tastes the same with the addition of clover honey, chipotle pepper heat, rye bread, and caramel. It had some heat by mid-palate, but that wasn’t anything: by swallow, the pepper heat is fully in command. I hope my stomach can forgive me by tomorrow.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
AirForceHops (4501) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 2, 2015
Sampled from a 375 ml at Willrunforbeer grand mead tasting. Deep ruby color. Aroma has that pepper just busting out all over. Mild cherry.

Flavor is as advertised... Weak cherry upfront with a pretty decent kick of chipotle peppers. Light pepper burn depending on your tolerance for heat. Maybe I would feel different if I paired this with a sweet, chocolate dessert.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
WillRunForBeer (1412) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 2, 2015
375ml bottle. Pours a beautiful ruby red. Aroma is honey, floral, tart cherry. Flavor starts with sweet honey, tart cherry then hits with chipotle spice. Neat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chalumeaux (374) - Methuen, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 2, 2015
Poured from bottle nice ruby red color with no head. Aromas of cherry and spice. Taste is sweet with thick mouth feel and strong, smooth peppery kick.