overall

RATINGS: 57   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
The Dunkel is a dark (dunkel is German for Dark) lager from the great beer halls of Munich. It has a malty slightly roasted flavor and a smooth finish. This is the darkest of our regular beers.
Note: Formerly Einfach Dunkel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
wlajwl (4340) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Aroma is fruit, malts and a hint of nuttiness. The flavor is nutty malts, fruit, light to medium bodied and a smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
boogerracing (62) - Iowa, USA - JAN 4, 2013
Nice clean amber color. Caramel with a bit of roast and touch of hops. Good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
pepsican (1488) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - OCT 18, 2012
Brownish amber pour with a small white head. Caramal, toffee, red suckers, and a bit of grass. Nice carbonation. Lightly sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
GJF (1323) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - AUG 23, 2012
On tap at Quinton’s in Iowa City. Certainly better than the wooden nickel I had months back, but not much to it. A very pretty reddish pour but then nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
rdenney18 (109) - Lawton, Iowa, USA - JUL 29, 2012
This is my first try with this brewery. This beer is really creamy tasting. It is very smooth. Not a ton of flavor. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
RobertDale (4016) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - JUN 3, 2012
Comes dark amber with a nice off-white head. Aroma of malt, caramel, and toffee. Taste is malt, caramel, toffee, roast, and a bit of hops. Pleasant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EMunk (99) - USA - FEB 5, 2012
I really enjoy a good Dunkel and I think this one hit the spot. A slight malty flavor with a very smooth finish. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
CanIHave4Beers (3533) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - SEP 19, 2011
The beer pours a fairly deep orange color with a good head.

The aroma is full of rich maltiness and plenty of earthy character. The beer has a light roasty aroma here too.

The flavor is again rich and malty. I’m getting a very enjoyable subtle hint of anise throughout. The beer is mildly sweet and has some spicy hoppiness. It really tastes to me more like an Oktoberfest, but I can see where it rides the line between Oktoberfest and Dunkel.

I guess I’ve not experienced the sort of qc issues that others have with this brewery, and I’m glad I’ve not. Most of the lagers I’ve had from them have been clean and nice. I hope they keep this up when they’re in Coralville at the big brewery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
crossovert (8681) - Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2011
This one didn’t deliver for me. I love dunkels and spent a few months living in Munich, but this was a step under.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fidelis83 (2125) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - SEP 21, 2010
UPDATED: APR 4, 2013 Original rating, tap, 09.21.2010: 5/3/4/2/8 2.2 Pours medium to dark brown with a smallish beige head that has poor retention. Aroma is toast, chocolate, a touch of roast and cereal grain. Flavor is roast, chocolate, toasted bread and bitter, planty hops. Palate is light bodied, thin and somewhat astringent. Pretty plain and thin dunkel. Updated rating, bottle, 04.04.2013: Aroma is a little nuttier and a has a touch of toffee. Flavor seems much more rounded than my original rating indicates, nice nutty and toffee flavors up front, a hint of chocolate white bread crust, a little toast and cereal and some spicy and playfully fruity floral hops to the finish. Light body with a creamy to slick entry, moderate, somewhat sharp and blanketing carbonation and off dry finish. Pretty solid stuff. Much different than what I remember sampling nearly 3 years ago.