Baeren Rye
Brewed by Baeren
Style: Specialty Grain
Morioka, Iwate Prefecture, Japan
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 3.51/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%

KyotoLefty (6299) - Kyoto, JAPAN - SEP 10, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2008 2007 version, bottle. Orange-brown color. Very cloudy, low fine head. Aroma similar to a weizen. Malty, spicy, bananas, plus a sour note. Very interesting rye malt flavor. Weizen-like, but really different. Very fruity, with lots of bananas and some citrus. Cloves and other spices. Good hops. The best of the Japanese rye beers I have tried. Very complex. Fresh, fruity, excellent. Very much like a good medium to dark weizen, but a bit different. 2008 bottled version got exactly the same score (blind). I also had it on tap, but it was thinner and completely lacked the complexity of the bottle. I think the ’’’’hefe’’’’ was missing from my glass. This is great.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
shoulderbroken (1987) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 12, 2013
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2014 Bottle from Morioka Shinkansen station. Golden coloured, opaque, small white head with tiny bubbles. Aroma is fruity, banana, wheat, spicy, and bizarrely turnips! Taste is nice, initial weizen wheat and banana, finish is bitter though, bit of ice cream and biscuits in there too. Quite interesting. Had it again today, 14/5/14. Don’t get the turnips this time but the rest still stands. Very nice beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jinroh (328) - ESTONIA - APR 9, 2014
330 ml bottle from AEON Liquors @ Jiyugaoka. Rye beers are quite popular in Estonia, almost every new brewery tries to brew one these days. This one, however, was my first rye weizen. Poured cloudy and hazy, whitish orange with a nice top that stays. Looks like a weizen should look! Aroma reveals already the rye content of this beer - with usual banana and wheat you get also some black bread notes. Nice. It is nicely carbonated, cleans my palate well. A bit spicy, spritzy, really refreshening, having an extra bitter bite from rye I guess. This beer went down really well, even surprised me. Maybe I was thirsty also but this cold one really hit the spot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joshpiledean (315) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2005
Thanks once again to IslandHaole! HOLY CARBONATION! I maybe got 3 oz. in my pint glass before the head almost poured over the top! HUGE churning head, tons of carbonation, leaving a lot of chunky lace...Tingly, almost astringent amroma, full of spice and lemon. Very clean and refreshing flavor about it. Very tingly on the tongue, initially a citrus sweetness, then fading to lighly bitter, medium finish. This would make an outstanding session brew, if only I could buy it here!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DocLock (7826) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Thanks to IslandHaole for this one. Pours turbid dark brown with big white head. Aroma of hopcit, some apricot, slight berries, and slight rye bread. Tastes dry, bready, with hopcit, and some tart fruitiness at the finish. Nice complexity. This is a superb beer. As I expected, there was a layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TimE (3123) - Tokyo, JAPAN - OCT 9, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2007 Dark golden color. Rye, whisky, wheat in the nose. This is much more of a rye wheat than anything. Like spritzy body that has the esteriness of a hefe, but the spiciness of the rye really adds character and dries things out. Very thrist quenching. Love it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
KansaiBeerLvrs (1857) - Kyoto, JAPAN - MAR 25, 2013
I had seen this online and was meaning to try it so when I found a bottle at Yamaoka I picked it up! It poured a nice cloudy golden orange color with a thin head & a delicious fruity aroma of citrus, peach & spice. It also had yeast sediment which was nice. A nice full bodied ale with the rye giving it lots of spice flavors almost like a weizen but not quite as smooth. I really liked it. My wife and I drank it quickly, it hit the spot after a day at work!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - APR 20, 2004
Of the 4 beers from this company that I picked up, this is the one I have been waiting for with the most anticipation. I love rye bread and the flavor of caraway so I have always wanted to try a Rye beer. A cloudy honey color with a massive beige head, the bubbles are absolutely volcanic! I've never seen this much motion in a glass! Smells very much like a Belgian Wit, Corriander, Orange peel.....no ...wait, something a bit different here, must be the Rye. Like a good hefeweizen with a bit extra, sweet malts, wheat, caramel, citrus, spice, yeast, Oh yummy! This is easily the best beer from this brewer and one I will stock up on during my next trip down to Morioka! Rivals Ginga Kogen as one of my favorite Japanese made brews!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Bottle. Straw color, pretty clear, lasting thin eggshell head. Strong rye presence but well-balanced. Firm mouthfeel, bready, very malt-forward and satisfying. A little spicy, some orange peel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheGrandMaster (2334) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 25, 2010
Draft at The Aldgate (Tokyo), a cloudy pale amber with a super foamy ice-cream head. Fruity perfume on the nose. A creamy palate with berry fruit and raw grain. Dry and tart.