Baird Double Piston Whisky Barrel Bock

Baird Double Piston Whisky Barrel Bock
     click to upload

Formerly brewed at Baird Brewing Co.
Style: Doppelbock
Numazu, Shizuoka, Japan

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Within the world of fine alcoholic beverages, different categories are intimately interconnected. Lovingly and authentically crafted wines, sakes, whiskies and beers have more in common with one another than they do with industrial products within their same category. Scotch Whisky and Beer, both sharing the same primary ingredient -- malted barley -- enjoy a special affinity. Well, we have made the most of this affinity by marrying our Double Piston Bock to a freshly emptied Scotch Whisky barrel (from Arran Distillery -- Scotland’s newest -- on the Isle of Arran) for an extremely blissful 3-month interlude. The offspring of this marriage, Double Piston Whisky Barrel Bock, is a wonderful genetic blend of its different parents. In particular, the whisky mother imparts soft notes of vanilla, coconut and buttery caramel to the otherwise beery character imparted by the Dopplebock father. This is a one of a kind beverage you will not want to miss!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Capa (2426) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2008
Caramel in color with a tan head. A little light for a dopplebock, I think. Earthy, sweet malts, whisky. Peaty, earthy, smoke, malts, some vanilla. The range of flavors aren’t very well blended. Not something I would sit down with for an evening.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TimE (4347) - Tokyo, JAPAN - JAN 24, 2008
All I tasted was the scotch. This beer was lost on me and people I was drinking with. Litterally it was like liquid, but not overpowering, scotch. In that sense it was very unique, but I am not sure the style is appropriate for a scotch. Aging could do wonders and make this something unbelievable, but right now its just too harsh.