Baird Red Army Imperial Red

(RETIRED)
Baird Red Army Imperial Red
     click to upload

Formerly brewed at Baird Brewing Co.
Style: American Strong Ale
Numazu, Shizuoka, Japan
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
This imperious brew is magnificently complex and multi-faceted. While being big, strong and ominous, it also manages to be delicate, nuanced and effervescent. The malt bill is a combination of rich English varieties such as Marris Otter Pale Ale and Caramel, and lighter German types such as Pilsner and Munich. Additions of Japanese candy sugar further lighten the body, strengthen the alcohol content and lend a wonderful Belgian-like quality to the brew. The wonderfully aromatic character stems primarily from aroma- and dry-hopping with American varieties Glacier and Cascade. Who knows, but if the Kremlin had its citizens drinking this rather than vodka, the plight of the Cold War may have been quite different! Available in both kegs and bottles.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TimE (3263) - Tokyo, JAPAN - SEP 29, 2006
An imperial red for the middle of summer is an interesting choice to say the least. I was really surprised that a lot of the fruit salad character I got with the American Dream was also in here. I didn’t think the hops stood out as much. It certainly was fuller bodied than the American Dream, but did not get me as excited about the beer. I think I would perfer in the winter, but overall it didnt do alot for me.