Baladin X-Fumé (Lapsang Souchong)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Le Baladin
Style: Barley Wine
Piozzo, Italy

RATINGS: 95   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 405   ABV: 13.5%
X Fume 2006 Riserva Teo Musso was brewed in 2006 and bottled in 2008. This begins as Xyauyu, with the added 18-day infusion of smoked Lapsang Suochong Tea.

Editor’s note: as of 2012, 2008 vintages of Baladin Xyauyù Fumé are available; note the extended name (Xyauyù) and a the back label talking about whiskey barrel ageing; if you had such beer, put your rating there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yespr (30631) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - JUL 28, 2010
50 cL bottle. Pours clear and golden deep amber with a small rim of a white head. Aroma is smoked and bacon. Mild alcohol note too. Sweet caramelish and distinct bacon smoked flavoured. Smooth. Sweet and lingering into the far finish. Nice one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bu11zeye (11925) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JUL 21, 2010
(500ml bottle, 2006 vintage) Pours a clear golden amber body with a spare off-white head. Aroma of smoke, roasted malt, toffee, some dark fruit, and sausage. Flavor of smoke, apple, roasted malt, toffee, subtle vanilla, raisins, and wood.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUL 20, 2010
A Mes rate. Bottle thanks hugely to Nate as part of the Imperial Geezer Tasting.
Superb amber with a thin but lasting beige head. Rather viscous, looks like it means business and my god it does. As soon as I get anywhere near the glass I’m hit with a barrage of bacon, sausage and amazing, just amazing Austrian smoked cheese. Something is stirring in the depths of my soul telling me it’s breakfast time. Once I get this magic elixir in my mouth, all thoughts of breakfast are banished and replaced with WOO HOO GET ME DRUNK YOU NUTBOX! Bugger me, this is ludicrously good. Ang and I just looked at each other litterally speechless, without speech. Incredibly rich. Toffee, fruit, cheese, loads of bacon. Just comically good. Sweet as hell but the sugar is balanced so well it seems perfectly integrated. Juicy as hell, it’s almost apple concentrate. Faint earthy notes sit down waaaaay deep, glorious vanilla, some nuts, erm... how strong? It drinks like 8%! The barley notes are about the best I have had and there is something else. Wow, hang on, I can’t think. Hmmm... errrrrrrm... nope, my head has gone bye byes. Ahh, Nate called it, thanks mate. It’s like some caramel smoky glaze you find atop some cake of sheer joy. This is stupidly drinkable for the abv, I’m struggling to get my notes out in time, I just want to immerse myself in it. The mouthfeel is completely insane, the only thing I’ve had that feels this good is ice cider. Silly, just silly. Nate, you have scored some serious brownie points here.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BuckeyeBoy (2603) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 19, 2010
Bottle Vintage 2006 A big thanks to Inflatablehair. Pours out a crisp amber topped with no head to speak of. Aroma was super sweet smoked honey, wood, and some fruit. Taste was very nice smooth creamy honey, smoke, citrus, caramel, and some pit fruit. This reminded me of Apis Jadwiga a little. Thanks again Sam.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tdtm82 (668) - Essex, ENGLAND - JUN 18, 2010
Thanks to Nate for taking the consideration and effort for bringing this home from Rome and for us to taste. I’ve read a lot on Italian beer last year and was seeking the beer which could justify it. This is it. I missed out at GBBF and was highly annoyed. This makes amends. The smokey aroma was intoxicating. Remember that experience when you have German raunchbier for the first time? Yep this is similar! I LOVED the smell. Smoke, oak and sausage at the same time. The taste was very smokey; cheese, pepper, caramel and toast. I really enjoyed this beer. Thanks so much to Nate for bringing it. Cheers, Craig for rating so I knew which one it was. I hope it is correct.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cgarvieuk (13911) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUN 11, 2010
Bottle at home ... from RBESG 10 Trip ... copper ... light smokey roast toffee ... hint of fish nose ... sweet toffee ... juicy malts ... again a light smokeyness ... nice but i prefer the copper to gold... and by a long shot

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (7677) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 5, 2010
My Bottom Line:
This is a highly engaging still Barley Wine with plenty of wooden, lapsang souchong smokiness attached to dried apricots, raisins and caramel, all of which are thoroughly licked by alcohol heat.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-There is no head at all atop the still copper brown.
-The fruit character is also redolent of peaches.
-The lapsang souchong could be mistaken for a cousin of beechwood smoked malts.
-This is quite boozy, but it is a unique sipper which I’d love to have again... in winter, perhaps.

Bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sammy (8348) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 15, 2010
Outstanding and expensive creation. In a word, chestnut honey and peat. The colour, chestnut reddish brown. The aromas: roasted chestnuts and honey. Soft mouthfeel. A sipper. Finished it over two hours. Would give it even higher praise if chestnut honey was not so prevalent and touted in this part of the world.

Rosebud butternuts (2396) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 14, 2010
bottle thanks to bu11zeye. poured amber with some great legs. aroma was peat, meaty, and smokey. flavor was peat, meaty, smokey, BBQ, and maple. body was nice and thick like that 400 lb woman.

mar (4766) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 2, 2010
2006 bottle thanks to bu11zeye. deep amber with no head. nose is honey, flowers, caramel, and vanilla. great on the palate, smokey honey, caramel, vanilla, and light ash. great barley wine.