Balcones Fault Pale Malt

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 2.05/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.15   ABV: -
Pale Malt is a British-style pale ale. It is a single hopped beer with Kent Goldings. This is the lightest of our beers and has slight hints of fruitiness throughout.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Heat99 (56) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 14, 2001
My rating probably isn’t so fair for this brew. The reason is that I tried my first batch of SN Pale Ale Homebrew (imitation of SNPA), and it was too young, and not yet carbonated, and me, being the beer connoisseur, didn’t want to waste a good beer and drank it. I know my rating was off because I had a SN Celebration Ale, and didn’t care much for it either...and I LOVE SNCA. Anyhow, on with the rating... This beer pured a clear golden color...with a bubbly carbonated head that receded fast. It had a slightly grainy aroma...similar to Sam Adams Pale Ale, but only after a thorough swish. Not that impressive. The flavor was thin and simple (almost watery), not too sweet, and very carbonated. Not the best of brews.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 12, 2002
I always try to support any microbrewery in the state of Texas just because it gives me hope that we could actually develop a market for good beer down here. This beer really scared me when there crap floating in my beer. I am still a rather young beer drinker so I am not sure what to make of this. On with the beer...It was very crisp and watery with a very slight alcohol/hops aroma which was actually decent. The beer it self just got worse and worse as I drank it though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jazz88 (2562) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 26, 2002
Bottle. Copper color with basically no head. Light malts with a touch of passion fruit malt flavor. Wet.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - JAN 12, 2003
This had a nice dark color. Beyond that it was not worth the trouble. It had a decently sweet aftertaste, but otherwise had no flavor at all.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 1, 2002
I’m tasting ten pale ales today, back-to-back and the first thing I notice about this brew is: it’s NOT a pale ale! There’s no bitterness, but rather a fair amount of sourness and extremely subtle use of Kent Goldings. Don’t go here looking for a bitter beer. Very SIMPLE beer with a slight metallic taste. I want these guys to keep brewing, though, so that someday Texas will not be laughed at when people think of the beer down here.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
aracauna (3137) - Georgia, USA - APR 25, 2002
No head. Flat. Very yeasty flavor. A little odd. Can’t decide if I like it or hate it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - MAR 19, 2004
Lord let me just keep my mouth shut. Brewery was once in Austin. Have no earthly idea what is up with it now. Sigh. What once showed promise is ...??? I really don't have words.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - DEC 10, 2002
Had the same mulchy-tobacco profile of their Red, but lighter. This was a good thing. Not a great pale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Nuffield (3713) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 25, 2003
"Oh for heaven's sake" was my first reaction to this beer as it passed between my lips. Why did they have to brew this stuff, sucking the joy out of the hobby of beer drinking? This has a syrupy feel to it at the start, although the palate is not supported enough to balance it. The flavor is dull and water-like--noticeable by its absence--with only hints of malt, hints of bitterness, hints of misery, and hints of despair. Miserable beer--a drain pour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
GreatSatanUSA (107) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
If a "pale malt" is supposed to taste like this, it's a genre of beer I can do without. Totally bland, thin beer. It's kind of like they took a pale ale, then surgically removed the hops and the flavor. Stay away.