overall

RATINGS: 1613   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
If you have fallen for the IPA style like we have, Big Eye will be a welcome addition to your repertoire. You’ll revel in Big Eye’s bitter, hoppy flavor thanks to the American Columbus and Centennial hops that are used to flavor and dry hop our flagship IPA. We thank our hops every day that the English loved their bitters—or else the IPA style may not have been born to help the beer survive the journey from Cape Hope to India back in the 18th century.

grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - APR 23, 2007
Attractive bronze color with voluminous, puffy head. Nice looking beer. I immediately recognize the hops as Centennial as my IIPA I’m working on is exclusively Centennial. But, unlike my IIPA this has some malt notes going on as well: some toffee from crystal malt and a wonderful nuttiness/roastiness that I love. Tons of hops suffuse the flavor as well. Very citric, to a degree I don’t achieve in my all-centennial beers, very perfumy and maybe a tad harsh. The malt character hinted at in the nose is pretty overwhelmed by all the hops here and the resulting quite bitter finish, but hey, that’s how it’s supposed to be, right? This is my kind of IPA and there’s little fault to be found here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nolankowal (937) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2007
Bottle ocurtesy of dirtymartini, thanks again! Ornage -red pour with a yellowed off white head. Aroma of floral, perfumey hops, some grassiness and grapefruit as well. Flvaors of grapefruit, light booze and light pale malt. A lot of sweetness in the medium body with more bitterness coming out torwards the end. Pretty good, though it might’ve had a bit too much age on it, I was hoping it would’ve been a bit brighter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
blankboy (6632) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 21, 2007
Bottle (650ml) shared with HogTownHarry, jerc, mabel, mds & tupalev -- courtesy of HogTownHarry. Pours a hazy amber-orange with an average size diminishing white head. Aroma: Oh man is that ever fuckin’ nice! Close to the perfect IPA aroma to me, fresh piney & fruity hops backed by sweet malt -- I love it! The wonderful piney hops flavour doesn’t disappoint, along with lots of citrus fruit and just enough malt to balance it out. Nice bitter dry finish. Medium bodied. This is an awesome IPA, up there with some of the best!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hapjydeuce (979) - Carlsbad, California, USA - APR 18, 2007
This was a nice compensation for the Dorado DIPA, which I thought was a bit over the top. Much better balance overall, with a good palate with a modest amount of hops bitterness. I found this beer easily drinkable, crisp and refreshing, still with a nice bitterness to it even at 6%. Good seshful brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jercraigs (8666) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 16, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2013 2013-04-20. Crisp orange body with a small white head. Modest aroma, lightly caramel malt, modest hops, lightly green. Flavour is similar, modest hops, lightly green, modest bitterness and light fruit throughout. Average plus palate. 3+ Enjoyable but not spectacular. 7/3/7/3/15 3.5 On tap at Coles, Buffalo

2007-04-XX. Copper body with a small white head. Very hoppy aroma, with an odd but pleasant fruit character to it. Flavour is quite similar, and quite bitter, notes of tangerine. Average palate. This is a solid IPA but the hop profile is just not ringing my bells today. Perhaps another go at it some other time, I expect it would grow on me over a few glasses. 8/3/7/3/15 - 3.6 Bottle shared by HogTownHarry.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 16, 2007
Bottle shared with Blankboy, Hogtown Harry, Jerc, Mds, and Mabel, Harry’s bottle. Fresh tangerine juice aroma - stunning. So bitter taste - weird bitter - floral and up front. Some hint of grapefruit. Wow, I really love this beer and I love Centennial hops. Stunning.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 15, 2007
Solid american IPA - period. I could drink a lot of this, good session beer. Great flavor, mouthfeel, a perfect balance - good shit, can’t complain

presario (4901) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - APR 15, 2007
Nice copper amber. Fair head. Rich woody pine aroma. Citrusy woody pine flavour. Nice malt to back the hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
robertjm (798) - Albany, California, USA - APR 13, 2007
Pours nice wonderfully frothy head. Orangy color. Great aroma of hop cones! Awesome hop flavor. Have to admit that I’m partial to Centennials and this brew is 100% Centennial from the bittering to the aroma to the dry hopping!!! Tastes like freshly squeezed pink grapefruit Definately a beer worthy of your shelf. If you can get it BUY IT!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HogTownHarry (6278) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - APR 13, 2007
Bottle (650ml). Shared with blankboy, jerc, mabel, mds and tupalev - my bottle via trade with DarkElf - DarkElf+ Fest ’07!!. Slightly cloudy light orange-yellow, average white frothy head. Pineapple/apricotresin/balsam hops, sweet malt, mouth-watering. Taste follows, really pineapple and bitter - odd combo, but good. Average body, astringent, mild carbonation, simple finish. Very nice - excellent west coast IPA.