overall

RATINGS: 1563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
If you have fallen for the IPA style like we have, Big Eye will be a welcome addition to your repertoire. You’ll revel in Big Eye’s bitter, hoppy flavor thanks to the American Columbus and Centennial hops that are used to flavor and dry hop our flagship IPA. We thank our hops every day that the English loved their bitters—or else the IPA style may not have been born to help the beer survive the journey from Cape Hope to India back in the 18th century.

dollarbill's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dollarbill (13) - , California, USA - OCT 10, 2009
I’ve had many bottles of this-- 12 oz and 22 oz, and I just had a 22 oz with lunch today-- and I like this IPA. Considering that I can get it many places (I live in Southern CA), and that a 22 oz bottle is just $3.99 at the place where I usually go, and it’s usually in-stock (as opposed to Pliny, which is not easy to get whenever you want it), there is a lot to like about this IPA. The finish, which strikes me as a little bitter, lingers longer than I would prefer, but otherwise this is a very fine example of a well-done west coast IPA. I have to wonder if they could improve the beer by incorporating something other than Centennial hops, but this is one of my go-to IPAs.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
zoucrew102 (785) - - MAY 23, 2015
Bottle. Tropical fruit aroma with notes of grapefruit citrus hop and a little bit of sweet caramel. Pours copper colored with a large soapy off-white head with excellent retention and not much lacing. Starts with sweet tropical fruit and just a touch of caramel. Finishes very dry with grapefruit citrus and a slight pine resiny hop bitterness. Pretty good, but the sharp bitter finish put me off a little.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElManana (929) - Scheldewindeke, BELGIUM - MAY 20, 2015
Bottle bought at Bier-Deluxe.com. Tasted after Sculpin & Sculpin Grapefruit. Bad idea, since this one comes out much less. Very malty, almost sweet base, honey-like. Nice bitterness in the end. More balanced than the Sculpin’s, but I prefered the bitter erxoticness that those offer.

jc1762 (149) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 19, 2015
Tap - shows dark caramel brown with dark honey tones and a finger of clean white foam. The nose shows sweet tropical fruit and very faint pine resin notes. The palate shows much of the same with a low carbonation. Very fruit forward in flavor but balanced by a clean IPA bitterness. A good summer beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mrol (40) - - MAY 18, 2015
Dark/golden pour. Very hoppy and resinous taste with piney finish. Very easy to drink. I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
neurbob (9) - - MAY 17, 2015 does not count
Bottle to tumbler. Dark golden, clear. Good head. Complex fruity aroma, mango, grapefruit, mild toast, pine, vanilla. Mild sweet, heavy complex bitter, long bitter finish. Medium body, medium carb, As good as Sculpin IMHO, just different hop profile. Solid West Coast IPA, quite bitter but more nuanced than some of the bigger names.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Larry_Duffman (25) - - MAY 15, 2015
I poured it from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours copper with a thick off-white head and lacing. The aroma is hops and some caramel. The mouth feel is creamy and full. The taste is hops, caramel, malt, and some citrus. This is a nicely balanced and tasty IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
CJ_Pain (192) - Georgia, USA - MAY 15, 2015
Decent ipa. The lesser known of the 2 regular ipa by ballast point. Holds its own as a solid IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Saeglopur (814) - Vienna Woods, AUSTRIA - MAY 12, 2015
355 ml, bottled 17/12/14, from Bier-Deluxe.de
Copper, clear body, with a big, creamy, lacing, off-white head.
Aroma of grapefruit, pine, orange, pineapple, peach, biscuit.
Tastes of grapefruit, lots of pine, orange, peach, biscuit, some tea.
Quite full, creamy mouthfeel, with an average carbonation.
Finishes bitter, quite dry, piney, zesty, fruity, a bit sweet malty.

Tasty! Very hoppy, piney and bitter, but greatly balanced by a smooth, sweet malt backbone. Full and intense, but also quite easy at the same time. Overall not as extraordinary as the two Sculpins, but a highly enjoyable IPA nonetheless.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Changed (374) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAY 10, 2015
Straight from the can (forgive me). Aroma, well, you don’t get much from the can. I can live with this, since I’m guessing it’s citrus and hops. Flavor, well I can taste the beer-- dank hops, quite heavy in the mouth, with an amazingly well balanced malt character (biscuity). Bittering and long lasting at the end. Fairly high carbonation as well. This is a really well balanced IPA that has the mouthfeel and ABV of a DIPA-- but is very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
samsmith33 (523) - - MAY 10, 2015
A poor man’s sculpin. Good flavor, hops and citrus are well balanced, but pine is a bit too intense for my liking. Medium carbonation. The Pine really sticks around and lingers somewhere between bitter and sour.