overall

RATINGS: 514   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Marheb (3197) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 10, 2015
Le profil classique de la Sculpin est rehaussé vigoureusement de l’attirail habanero assez violent mais fonctionne bien avec la mangue, pêche, mandarine et fleur sauvage qui habite la base. La chaleur inquiète au départ mais est facile à apprivoiser au fur et à mesure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
lightbias (305) - USA - MAR 9, 2015
Not being a huge fan of the Habanero pepper, I wondered if it was going to be a mistake to even try this brew. I don’t think it was a mistake, although I like the pepper more than the brew. Only because I could do more with the pepper. This pours a ripe apricot color with a soft off-white foam. The pepper is apparent and tickles my nostrils without hesitation. The brew smells just like the experience with my first raw Habanero. Bland and spicy. There’s nothing to the flavor of this for me except earthy, vegetal heat. Any other aroma is lost in the pepper. The taste is also corrupted by the burn in the brew. A swallow is uncomfortable and boring, but after a few minutes the afterward is actually quite nice. Enjoying the taste and flavor after some of the beer has burned off and I can use my taste buds again. I am not a fan of this as a stand alone brew, but I think with a Cobb Salad, or some type of cool meal, it would be an asset. I’ll look for it again when I can taste it with something it can accent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
60minuteman (1033) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 8, 2015
Pours like an IPA. Blonde color with retaining white lace and two finger head. Aroma is hop, fruit, chilies, grass. Flavor is the same. Chilies pack a punch in the nuts. Spiciest beer I’ve ever had; granted I haven’t had many. Balance between spice/hop/fruit is near perfect. Kildares.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
closey22 (1209) - Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, USA - MAR 6, 2015
Golden amber with thin rimming beige head; aroma is hops, grapefruit; flava has habanero pepper upfront and prominent, very spicy, not for those who do not like hot spicy flavas! but there is more underneath the heat some hints of citrus; fleels light to medium; finishes spicy zingy on the throat and lips with some hints of hops-- PS-- probably great with a plain cheese pizza!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kajser27 (366) - Zagreb, CROATIA - MAR 6, 2015
Deeper amber with a small white head. Aroma has some grapefuit citrus hops mixed with strong Habanero aroma. Taste maybe has a malty start and may or may not have a nice grapefruity hoppy story but we’ll never now as everything is drowned in the habanero and it’s strong burning sensation which lasts for a while and takes on the next beer as well. Medium bodied. The point of this one is lost on me...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dagimp (829) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2015
From a 12 oz bottle into a 70’s Michelob chalice. Pours like regular Sculpin. A little head but not much; same for lacing. Good Habanero aroma. A little fruit from the hops too. Mouthfeel is moderate with some good carbonation. Taste is habanero peppers and heat. You can taste some of the IPA for the first sip, but after that, it’s just blasted out by the heat and Habanero flavor. I’m a big fan of habaneros, so I really liked how their unique flavor was really showcased. That being said, I drank about 2/3 of the bottle and after that, my tastebuds were just shot. Poured the rest. If you can take the spice, share this with a friend and enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
poisoneddwarf (1958) - Rathdrum, Idaho, USA - MAR 3, 2015
12 oz bottle from a six pack. Aroma is peppers, grapefruit, caramel, wet river rock--all a little more muted than I was expecting. Pours slightly hazy new penny copper with lots of sediment under a bone-white head that lasts a minute before fading into a ring. Taste is very hot, making the lips tingle (9/10 on a heat scale). There is a fair amount of hop bitterness--the heat couldn’t completely squash the IPA character. Mouthfeel is perfectly creamy, tight carbonation, medium to full body. Nice pepper beer, but it’s totally palate-wrecking. Not sure if I’ll be able to rate anything else tonight.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
anderson01 (235) - Idaho, USA - MAR 2, 2015
Clear golden appearance with a bubbly white head that reduces rather quickly. Okay lacing. Definite pepper aroma. There is a tad of citrusy hops sneaking out of the aroma. Lively carbonation. Definitely puts a burn at the back of the throat. Taste of fresh peppers.The bottle says may vary in heat this one could have been a little spicier but an awesome beer. Ballast point took a chance on a spicy beer and suceeded with flying colors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
biirusaikou (1263) - - MAR 2, 2015
Pink grapefruit, salt aroma. Oh wow, full-on habanero on top of juicy blood orange, salt and pepper, red hot spicy finish. A true spice beast but the sweet fruity backend is quite present too, a half would have be enough, feels more like a sechuan dish than a beer in the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Westcoasttex (8) - USA - MAR 1, 2015 does not count
A surprising balance of taste with the habanero slightly overpowering the hops known in Sculpin. Good aftertaste, but don't drink this as a refreshing beer. Yikes!! Fredo