overall

RATINGS: 426   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ajnepple (3129) - Conifer, Colorado, USA - APR 22, 2015
12 oz bottle at Freshcraft. Darker gold and clear appearance with a lacy white head. Fresh aroma of citrus fruits, tropical fruits, floral notes and just a touch of peppery spice. The flavor is similar, but the habanero really comes through here, particularly on the finish. Pretty mild at first, but getting pretty intense towards the end. Still enjoyable and fun to drink, although, I couldn’t drink more than one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dfinney23 (2170) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 21, 2015
The perfect amount of heat, IMO. Hits the mouth cool and a little fruity but a little throat burn is noticeable from the first quaff. It doesn’t build up, though, so the last sip is still both refreshing and spicy. The pepper seems to cut or replace the hop bite so doesn’t seem all that hoppy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
JBPortland (1116) - Portland, Maine, USA - APR 21, 2015
12oz bottle pours hazy dark amber with a finger of head. Nose has soke vegetal spice, not much hops, some pepper. Taste is one dimensional with overpowering heat that borders on unpleasant, a hint of stale malt grain and herbal vegetal spice. Pretty much no hop fruitiness or citrus detected. Finishes with a burning hotness and no other real flavors. I love chili beers but this was rough. If you want to basically drink a chili peper than you might enjoy this novelty beer but it’s just that-a novelty. Not very good. Was struggling after a few ounces.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ericular (768) - Minnesota, USA - APR 20, 2015
Not sure what I expected. It’s a good beer that’s been overpowered by a good dose of heat. The heat is a good amount - bold as intended but not undrinkable. That being said, I wouldn’t want more than a few ounces of this stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thetmaxx (772) - West Sacramento, California, USA - APR 19, 2015
Poured from the bottle. Thin head, aroma of pepper and kind of dank, not fruity like regular sculpin. The flavor or specifically the pepper burn is the highlight of this beer! Very good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Steve_0 (3270) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 19, 2015
On tap at Happy Gnome. Pour is clear golden with a big white head and good lacing. Tropical fruity, somewhat earthy, lemony, light biscuit, some grass and dough in the aroma. Taste is somewhat sweet, a lot of earthiness, hints of grass and lemon with heat on the backend. Medium body with high carbonation. Solid pepper beer - not sure how much of this I could realistically drink though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lutz2jm (178) - North Carolina, USA - APR 18, 2015
Nose of peppers. Clean pour lots of lace. Taste is hops and peppers. You get a good amount of heat but not a terrible amount. Really good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mjp12 (689) - York, North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - APR 18, 2015
Wow, this ipa is so full of fresh green chilli, in its aroma and flavour. It does pack a real punch.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
halfonit (1217) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - APR 17, 2015
Sounds interesting. Pours a clear golden color with a white bubbly head. Aroma has a little spice. Actually a lot more spicy than what I was anticipating. I accidentally got my nose a little bit too close and inhaled some head. My nose is currently on fire as we speak. Holy crap!!! Ok, the taste must be hot then too! Flavor is of malts, hops, and spiiiiiiiicy peppers. I honestly couldn’t pick up any citrus. The peppers completely take control. I bet this would be a great beer to cook with. Mmmm beer can chicken.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerbastard (767) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 17, 2015
12oz bottle. Amber pour with lacing. Laid back green pepper nose. The first drink went right to my throat. The pepper dominates the flavor and the finish. I got a hot one. I like spicy hot foods, but I guess not my beer. I give it an A for being different. It just doesn’t work for me.