overall

RATINGS: 537   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
FunkyF (422) - Örebro, SWEDEN - JUL 10, 2015
Flaska på bishop örebro. Gulröd med vitt skum. Fruktig doft med tydligt genomslag av habanero. Mycket chili i smak och eftersmak

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pyrmir (4271) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - JUL 10, 2015
On tap at O’Connors. Golden with lasting white head. Aroma fruity, hoppy, some fruity habanero and wood. Taste is very chili intense, fruity habanero notes, caramel, wood and grapefruit. Finish has resin and spicy habanero

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Mr_Abner (193) - Michigan, USA - JUL 8, 2015
Bottle. Pours a clear golden color with a white head. Aromas of tropical fruit and citrus. The habanero pepper is really strong in this. With just a first sip, the heat stays with you for awhile – lingers a looong time and it builds in intensity with a few more sips. Unfortunately, I really can’t enjoy the base beer since the heat is so strong. While I don’t find the taste and heat at all unpleasant, I really can’t see myself buying another one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Koskela (409) - Marysville, California, USA - JUL 8, 2015
I get a nice malt aroma with a small hint of spice from this pale copperish slightly hazy brew. Sweet at first and crisp then the heat kicks in. As the beer sits and the flavor lingers the spicer the heat is in this medium bodied brew. Overall not bad. Worth a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rarbring (1854) - Linköping, SWEDEN - JUL 8, 2015
Overall: Sweet fruity start, then a warm burning chili heat.
Note: On-tap at Restaurang Sorbon. Reviewed 2015-07-08.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
kemoarps (42) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 7, 2015
Quite pale. Clear clean and crisp. Head is those large soapy bubbles that don’t really settle into a nice film so much as just kind of get less. OK. Acts as a good window for the carbonation show climbing the pillar though. Starts to hint at sweet malts and juicy hops but is quickly overhwelmed by the vegetal peppers. Like, over overwhelmed. Womp womp. Flavour has the same MO. Starts in to a solid foundation of sweet malts and juicy citrus hops but quickly the vegetal pepper flavour rushes in and starts smashing the place up. There’s some heat to it as well, but not so much as to be unpleasant. The bitterness here isn’t so much hop bitter as it is like... have you ever made a red sauce and overspiced it (I mean neither have I. I wouldn’t mess up a sauce!)? It’s that kind of vegetal overwhelmed herb/spice bitter that isn’t a pleasant bitter. At least for me. I actually like the heat level they have here, but the flavour I’m tried to have described above just brings it too far into the realm of unenjoyable for me. Maybe I’m just not a fan of chili beers in general.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thomat (2600) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JUL 7, 2015
Pale amber with a tiny white head. Fruity and spicy tones. Fruit, malt, chili and hops. Medium body with a long bitter / spicy finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SinH4 (1131) - Garching, Bavaria, GERMANY - JUL 6, 2015
Taster at the brewery. Golden color with white head. Amazing tropical-and-grapefruit hoppy nose, like the regular Sculpin, not much of the chilis there yet. Taste gives a immediate Habanero sting, then fruity, then a clean bitterness. Really hot. A masterpiece in terms of how the things work out, the habanero hits you only in the taste. I love it, but beware: I like very hot and spicy things, although I usually don’t adore chili beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gachupines (1087) - USA - JUL 6, 2015
Amber color with a thin white head. Aroma is grapefruit hops with just a hint of fruity spice. Flavor is very similar to the regular Sculpin with just a bit of heat at the end. Habanero spice builds depending on how fast you drink it, I feel it more in my throat than on my tongue. However, if you eat it with spicy food, the effect is multiplied. Wife: 3.5

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Atom (1816) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 6, 2015
12oz bottle pours a clear orange/copper with a medium khaki head. Aroma of fruity citrus hops, bready malt. Taste hits with a full on assult of Habanero, flavor and heat wise. No way I can drink more than a sip. Ok, so I tried another way. Full can of grapefruit and half of habanero. Grapefruit prominent, but mellow, less artificial and soda like. Hops and malt coming through. Habanero present with a slight burn on the lips, way toned down. Meh, better than the hab not as good as GF.