overall

RATINGS: 275   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Homer321 (2035) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - APR 23, 2014
bottle from craftshack dot com. aroma is just like fresh and yummy sculpin. lots of pine and grapefruit. large white head and a very clear light orange color. initial taste is hops followed quickly by a punch in my esophagus of hot peppers. holy hell this is interesting. just a bit of a sting is an understatement. this bad mamma jamma has more punch than a bomb or most pepper beers I have had. still a very solid offering, but not more than one could be consumed by this wussy

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ontape (343) - Valley Village, California, USA - APR 19, 2014
Draft. I feel like the pepper brings out the tropical fruit a bit, haven’t had a regular Sculpin in a while but I don’t remember it being quite this juicy. Heat is powerful but not overwhelming. Very drinkable and delicious.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
RhiannonMae (1) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 17, 2014 does not count
Aroma: a little off. The aroma does nothing to speak of for this beer. But it doesn’t matter. Beautiful rusty gold color seems serene. The taste is amazing- I know it’s an IPA, but the first on the palate smacks of a perfect pale ale, then, the habanero shows up to the party, makes her presence known without a word, as fiery women do. She is anything but serene. Here is a beer who knows who she is. Can be hard to find- but so worth it. After the pale ale wakes up the hoppiness, the heat blooms perfectly on the palate. Spicy, and delicious. I stalk my favorite pubs for this, and crave it when it’s not available. You will drink it, love it, and want more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TylerGreenDC (365) - - APR 17, 2014
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2014 On draft. Aroma is slightly odd, vegetable stkcky, and as if it?s an IPA with something really different. The taste starts big IPA, but before it can overpower you with hop goodness the peppers cut through a bit. Then they really linger on the palate, providing a nice mild heat for several seconds. Not gimmicky, just superb.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
OldMrCrow (1906) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2014
Tap at Eureka University Village.

Gold pour, thin white head. Sculpin aroma, grapefruit and some tropicals, a hint of the pepper to come. The heat on the tongue melds very nicely with the underlying flavor base -- they complement one another well -- but hits harder than I like in a hot-pepper beer. In the style, I like the heat to be almost subtle -- whereas this one is strong and draws the attention to the lingual burning and away from the topical fruit in the base beer that seems just waiting to delight to taste buds. After trying this, I opt to switch to the regular sculpin, which is far more drinkable --- but leaves me missing the heat just a little bit, which speaks well of this one I suppose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
StefanSD (2183) - Lakeside, California, USA - APR 11, 2014
12 oz bottle. Clear copper pour. Aroma of chili peppers. Taste of chili peppers. Decent heat too. I kinda liked it, kinda didn’t. If anyone out there wants a bottle let me know, I don’t see myself down’n a whole six pack.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
madvike (2786) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - APR 5, 2014
Bottle - Amber with a thin ring of white head. Nose is fruity with lots of onion, very dry malt with no pepper to speak of. Taste is bready malt a bit of grassiness and some sharpness. Next to no pepperiness, though there’s a little heat on the finish. Thinnish with medium carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (4983) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2014
Tap sample at Blacklick Wine & Spirits on 4/3/14. Clear orange pour with a medium white head. Aroma of orange, pine, grapefruit and slight chile pepper. Malty and piney flavor with pepper and citrus before a warm pepper finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jmikolich (1477) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - APR 1, 2014
Tap at Tustin, Throw a hot pepper that everyone knows is hot and see how it goes, in the words of Ron Burgundy its a deep burn. the flavor is drying out my tongue as I type this, from memory recall. The fruity flavor is sweet heat though which is nice. 4oz is more than enough of this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cristobal37 (271) - Canyon Lake, California, USA - MAR 31, 2014
The great taste of Sculpin with a healthy dose of hot habanero. I personally enjoy these pepper beers and this one is one of the best I’ve ever had. If you see it on tap give it a try!