overall

RATINGS: 539   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beernovice39 (3270) - Montana, USA - JUN 22, 2015
Bottle pours an orange brew with a white top. Nose is caramel, citrus and pepper. Taste starts piney then the pepper kicks in and dominates. Those that like heat like me will enjoy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
S_Side_Smitty (602) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - JUN 22, 2015
Pours clear gold with a thick off white head. Aroma is mellow piney hops with a habanero twang. Taste is like a laid back hop getting his ass beat by a habanero. I say that, but it’s actually quite good. I can’t say that it’s perfectly balanced, but I like it. The habanero is not metallic like habaneros can be. Instead you get some prickly heat with a little sweetness from beginning to finish. As for the IPA component, he’s getting up off the floor cause he got his ass beat. Awesome match!

Bacterial (2282) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUN 22, 2015
Clear amber pour with a white head. Citrus hop and peppery nose. This one brings the heat. More enjoyable as my tastebuds become more numb to the heat. I like this, hoppy and hot.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tmoreau (2988) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2015
On tap at the Beer House Chicago in Lombard, IL. as a 5 oz. serving dispensed to a flight/fest glass, showing a clear, golden color, with a persistent layer of off white head foam, and spots & strands of lacing. The nose was lightly herbal, with some floral hints that reminded me of pomander-like lavender. Pacified by the mellow intro, the taste surprised me with a consistent pepper & heat that supplanted any fruitiness or alcohol on my palate. Even the hint of sweetness didn’t assuage the warmth. Medium bodied, with decent carbonation, and a mild creaminess to the mouthfeel. Tasty, and cleared the sinuses at the same time!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kevinsenn (1508) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 19, 2015
Bottle from Charles Street Liquors, Boston. Pleasant fruity aroma aroma, with only a tiny hint if pepper. Spicy pepper taste. So much hot pepper. Hints of a nice citrusy ipa in there, with a spicy finish. Surprisingly good chili beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Joesl8 (3) - - JUN 19, 2015 does not count
I should be neutral here, but hot beers are not my thing. I could taste the initial west coast IPA thing, which was great before the heat came on. If you like west coast IPA’s and you like weird funky beers, this might be your thing? Wasn’t mine. The one I got was pretty hot, not as bad as a Rogue Sriracha I tried, but I hear the heat varies from bottle to bottle. Typical look and smell of the basic Sculpin IPA with the spicey habanero burn at the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nuplastikk (5090) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 17, 2015
12oz bottle. I expected the heat to be mild, subdued. Nope, this is pretty hardcore. Filtered orange-tan body. Frothy white head. Interesting mix between cool citurs hops and fruity hot pepper aroma. A pretty awesome beer experience. The heat really lingers and stains your palate. Bold offering.

RayPiskadlo (7) - Warwick, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2015 does not count
This beer brings the HEAT! The first time I tried it, I needed a glass of cold water to chase it. Not as hoppy as I expected. I’ve yet to find a chili beer that matches this one’s intensity. My favorite beer right now!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iainten (2) - Devon, ENGLAND - JUN 16, 2015 does not count
Cracking beer from Brewdog AGM. Aromas of Grapefruit and Pine. Well balanced bitter to sweet taste with a nice warming feeling to add to the mix. I think the chilli completes this beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mstrcrwly (699) - New York, USA - JUN 15, 2015
on tap,poured into a stem glass..orange pour with a fluffy white head..aroma of tropical fruits,earth,spices..citrus flavor with pepper/spice notes..not bad.