overall

RATINGS: 260   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

1FastSTi's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
1FastSTi (3336) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 8, 2012
Tap at Ballast Point. The beer pours to a dark amber glowing golden body with a white head. The aroma is simply 100% Sculpin with no peppers. The flavor is Sculpin, but it showcases the delicious flavor of the habanero pepper. I thought it had some heat, but not in that way that most of the spicy beers are (green peppers and hot). This beer was a marvelous rendition in that the pepper component came through as expected, rather than a nasty green pepper with heat. It actually blended quite well, and was a highlight of the evening!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
digrod (66) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 20, 2014
Bottle pour. Pours golden with small white head. Aromas of a Hawaiian barbecue consisting of tropical fruits and roast pork from luau. Flavors are spicy, hot pepper and gentle grapefruit. A tad over the top with the heat. Finishes dry with lots of heat. Makes you sweat. Very unique.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gkeh (204) - Texas, USA - SEP 18, 2014
Very spicy, this one is. A little too much for my taste. Let me say one thing, I LOVE spicy foods, and can handle some heat, but this thing went overboard. The spice totally dominated the flavor profile. There was a bit of sweet fruit flavor evident, but not much, and it didnít matter because the spiciness overpowered it anyway.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
slowrunner77 (2029) - Reno, Nevada, USA - SEP 16, 2014
"Wow. Ballast does it again. One of my very favorite IPAs spiced up enough to notice, but not so much it takes away ANYTHING from the hoppy tropical goodness that is Sculpin. Light peppers on the nose, a little more in the flavor. Sublime!!"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
phaleslu (6509) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 16, 2014
12 oz. bottle shared by Tom - thanks again! Pours a clear, bright gold with a medium white head. The aroma is fairly vegetal, with big peppers throughout, plus straw, grass, and tropical fruits. The flavor is the same. I feel my lips burn a little after a few minutes. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation and a bitter, spicy mouthfeel. Overall, a good, fun pepper beer that probably benefits from such a good underlying IPA. However, the base IPA is overwhelmed a bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Modularman (129) - - SEP 13, 2014
Smell of juicy fruit, appearance is gold with thin white head, taste is sweet earthy malt with a nice heat at the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kevinator (930) - The Colony, Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2014
Well-blended beer. Aroma was of citrus and piney hops with a hint of pepper. Average light caramel color for an IPA. Palate was light and well-carbonated, which matched the spice. Flavor was hop bitterness up front followed by a burn that complimented rather than dominated. Pleasing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ericwill99 (47) - Texas, USA - SEP 5, 2014
First beer in my kegerator! I'm not getting any heat, but I'm getting some great flavor. Nice golden beer, with a smooth and strong flavor. The 1/6th barrel is going very fast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 14/20
Scipio (701) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2014
Pours a clear golden in color with a full, foamy, long lasting white head. The aroma is on the subtle side and is heaviest in citrus impressions. There is grapefruit, pineapple, peach along with some lighter pine. Wow, this one really burns. Grapefruit and pineapple up front followed with a huge burning sensation afterwards that is very intense and very long lasting. Medium in body, slick in texture, with I believe milder carbonation, though tougher to tell since my palate is ruined. Now I love hot and spicy, but I literally need a couple of minutes after a sip before I drink more. After some drinking, Iím getting used to it, and I could probably drink another one. Although I think many would find this undrinkable. This is very unique and must be tried. Challenging someone to slam one of these would be cruel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
murphious2000 (10) - - AUG 23, 2014
When I heard there was a Habanero version of Sculpin, I figured it was just another lame gimmick. But after pouring this amber beauty and smelling the nice citrus hops, I thought it would be a weak chili beer like Cave Creek---wrong, way wrong. This is almost a perfect blend of chili with hops except for the finish. I love how the citrus hops fade away and the pepper comes rolling over it, but then it keeps on coming. The pepper lasts longer than any other beer flavor. Perhaps if there was more bitterness of hop at the end WITH the habanero I would have given it a much higher rating. As is, 4 out of 5

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drake (8563) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - AUG 22, 2014
Draft, July 5, 2014. Pours a clear amber color with a thin creamy tan head. Good head retention. Aroma of spicy peppers, pale malt, citrus hops. The taste is citrus and tropical hops with habanero in the finish. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, high heat.