overall

RATINGS: 419   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jhamp9 (1254) - Corinth, Texas, USA - MAY 23, 2015
Clear orange pour with a nice lasting white head and good lacing. Aroma is habanero, citrus, and caramel. Taste is earthy peppers and citrus rind. There is a hint of malt sweetness. It is hot and the burn lingers for a long time. Would not recommend to anyone who doesn’t enjoy spicy stuff. Also, not a beer I will drink a lot of but I appreciate it for what it is and habanero is a nice pepper to go with Sculpin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wnoble (1251) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2014
12oz bottle thanks to my good friend Kasey! So this one looked pretty much like the sculpin that I remember but the nose.... wow what a huge burst of spicy peppers, some fruity pepper, and lots of heat. The flavor is super spicy and full of heat. I’ve never had a beet that had so much heat and pepper character as this one. I’m not sure a full bottle is what I want but I feel like they nailed what they were trying to accomplish here. Good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUN 16, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2011 On tap at BP Old Grove; Light amber/golden color with a medium white head. Aroma is citrusy and light pine. Flavor starts lightly fruity sweet followed by grapefruity hops and sharp habanero heat.The heat almost takes over the beer, but is an interesting twist if you like hot peppers. Medium bodied and smooth with some long lingering habernaro heat. I would like to see a little more balance between the habanero heat and the citrus bitterness, but still I liked it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Zymurgeist2 (1234) - Redwood City, California, USA - FEB 22, 2012
On draft at Gourmet Haus. The aroma is overblown with the habanero.....and then you get to the taste. This literally tastes like someone messed with a beer by adding hot pepper sauce. I do not get any of the original Sculpin flavor or aroma here. Very tough to drink from a brewer i love.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kevinator (1232) - The Colony, Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2014
Well-blended beer. Aroma was of citrus and piney hops with a hint of pepper. Average light caramel color for an IPA. Palate was light and well-carbonated, which matched the spice. Flavor was hop bitterness up front followed by a burn that complimented rather than dominated. Pleasing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kathouse (1217) - Nevada, USA - OCT 5, 2013
Nice citrus aroma but mild. Cloudy orange with a foamy white head. Good balance on the IPA flavors and malt. Peppers leave a burning sensation on the back of the throat which is as pleasant as it is unusual. Nicely done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
skmikeg (1216) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 7, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2012 taster at Old Grove pepper day. Pours a amber orange color with small white head. Aroma is of citrus, pine, and some black pepper. flavor is nice and hoppy like normal Sculpin with some citrus, pine, and some carmel malt. the heat hits you after a fee seconds and you get some nice floral flavors as well from the Habanero. Has a medium body with a oily moufeel and a dry, bitter, spicy finnish. overall, another great pepper beer that would go great with mexican food.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
halfonit (1214) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - APR 17, 2015
Sounds interesting. Pours a clear golden color with a white bubbly head. Aroma has a little spice. Actually a lot more spicy than what I was anticipating. I accidentally got my nose a little bit too close and inhaled some head. My nose is currently on fire as we speak. Holy crap!!! Ok, the taste must be hot then too! Flavor is of malts, hops, and spiiiiiiiicy peppers. I honestly couldn’t pick up any citrus. The peppers completely take control. I bet this would be a great beer to cook with. Mmmm beer can chicken.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Rrauth (1196) - North Carolina, USA - OCT 7, 2012
Draft. Wow. Smells like an IPA but tastes like a beer with kick. More kick than I've had in a beer yet. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thome50 (1195) - Morro Bay via Orange County, California, USA - DEC 19, 2012
This beer has eluded me for YEARS. I’ve heard it on tap at no less than 5 beer/pizza bars in the last 7 years and NEVER have I gotten to try it until tonight. Ballast Point tap take over at Bru! Pours a clear golden with light white foam in a 3oz tater. Aroma is IPA with very minimal pepper odor. Taste, holy CRAP this is habanero fruit! The chilli fruit is there right away and then the regular floral, citrus and slight pine comes in to showcase the sculpin. The habanero heat doesn’t really come into play until the beer goes down you throat where it is a nice heat. Overall, radtastic pepper beer that I’d totally drink a pint of. Indeed jalapeno probably still beats it out but that was with fresh peppers. Still, love this!