overall

RATINGS: 242   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
GIJOE (592) - North Berwick, Maine, USA - AUG 4, 2013
I wanted to like this beer. I love habaneros and I love beer, and I made a chocolate habanero stout once that I liked, but this was just weird for me. The flavors didn't blend. It was like biting a pepper and drinking a beer separately and hoping for marriage of flavors. Didn't work for me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
boisebeerguy (75) - boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 3, 2014
On tap at bier thirty. Hops is not really prevalent. The habanero is though. I can not find a hot food that beats me so I like this beer. Nose is of habanero and warms the mouth. But for the weak be careful.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheHopster (791) - Netcong, New Jersey, USA - MAR 29, 2014
On draft at The Ginger Man, NYC. The taste is eclipsed by the burning habanero pepper sensation on the palate, which does not add to the flavor, just a lingering burn. Seems the wrong combination for such a quality IPA. A novelty at best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Mep3222 (421) - East Greenbush, New York, USA - JUN 7, 2014
Interesting aroma. Some hops but mostly peppery, an very nice habenero authentic spice aroma. Flavor is very spicy hot. Nice peppery hot, but quite a bit for a beer. Feels like a nice hotness you would like on food, but overpowers the flavors of the great sculpin base. Glad I tried this one, it is really well made if you like true peppery hotness in your beer, but not for me and really can't drink much of it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
fonefan (34282) - VestJylland, DENMARK - AUG 17, 2011

Cask (gravity) @ GBBF 2011, Great British Beer Festival, Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England.

Clear medium yellow orange colour with a average, frothy - fizzy, good lacing, mostly lasting, off-white head. Aroma is moderate to heavy malty, caramel, pale malt, chili, sweet chili fruit. Flavor is moderate to heavy sweet and heavy bitter with a long long duration, heavy heavy chili burn. To much for me ! Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is soft. IMO just mostly undrinkable. [20110802]

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
crosamich (431) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - MAY 21, 2012
on cask at GBBF 2011. The peppers just destroy you on this one. No one else could finish their glass. I did and it stayed with me for a spell. The heat takes away rather than adding to this beer. The fire is so strong that it completely takes over the hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Mora2000 (5568) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JUN 9, 2013
On tap at the Common Table. Yellow with a white head. The aroma has a bit of pine but what really comes through is the habanero. The flavor is similar. While there may be a bit of the IPA character in there, I get a ton of hot, spicy pepper. As I drink more, the beer gets hotter and hotter. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Interesting, but the pepper was too overwhelming for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
b3shine (5195) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2013
Draft to taster. Looks solid; a little lighter than I remember regular Sculpin though. A transparent gold with foamy white head. Smells of hops and spicy pepper. Tastes like it smells, only more pepper forward, with an average mouthfeel. Alright, but the habanero masks the delicious base.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hopdog (8796) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 24, 2013
On at Capone’s. Poured a golden color with a white head. Yep, there’s habanero in this one. The hoppy IPA was in the background, but this one ended in too much of a spicy burn for me to finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
maley1 (738) - calgary, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 16, 2013
On tap, clear amber pour with small off white head. Aroma of floral hops, grassy and pepper. Taste of floral hops and then the pepper kicks in and overtakes everything good about this beer. I love spicy hot but this totally is off base. Initial great IPA taste, perfect carbonation and mouthfeel and the habanero takes over in the middle and peppery heat finishes strong and long and dry. Not really my thing.