overall

RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Christpuncher (947) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 8, 2014
An awesome ipa with a hot punch finish. Nice blend, you get the citruscy ipa first slightly bitter with a lunch if heat to finish. Love this. Ha at world of beer ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HopMasterFlex (108) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAR 9, 2011
I canít believe Iím the first to rate this beer! Let me start by saying if sculpin wasnít so good plain I wouldve probably rated this higher but I feel like it ruined a wonderful beer yet still decent. It smells of pine and chili pepper. Taste is a "plain" hop drowned out by the spicy pepper. The faster you drink it the hotter it is. I drank a pint in a couple minutes and about half in two gulps. Spicy and delicious but knowing how good sculpin is regularly ruined this beer for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6584) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - APR 4, 2011
On tap at the Blind Tiger during their Captain Lawrence event. Pours a hazed gold. Heat, sweet pine and toast. Sweet and hoppy. Warm and spicy, with slow heat. Very smooth and light lingering heat on the finish. This was great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeTheYounger (1136) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - MAY 7, 2011
On draft at bruery provisions. Clear golden color nice white head. Aroma is sweet mango and peppers. Taste like regular sculpin with a kick. Good stuff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
yobdoog (1888) - Woodridge NY, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2011
Really enjoyed this. Aroma was lightly green, some roasted peppers, definitely heat, some habanero and the underlying sculpin we all know, some juicy citrus tropical hops. Flavor is much the same, really well done, some sweet heat, not overpowering at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JAF737300 (1291) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 16, 2011
POurs hazy light amber with hop/grapefruit notes and some light pepper. The mouthfeel starts nicely like the sculpin pinning you down with nice biiter hops that drive a roller coaster of heat right to the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cgarvieuk (13921) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - AUG 5, 2011
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2011 cask at GBBF 2011 ... golden yellow... zezty orange and pine hop nose ... fireburn in back of throat ... oh what a kick ... zezty orange light ... bitter big hop ... but oh what chilla ... good for small amout or with food... not so good for a fetival... and too firey for lots ... despite this loved it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
skmikeg (825) - Poway, California, USA - NOV 7, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2012 taster at Old Grove pepper day. Pours a amber orange color with small white head. Aroma is of citrus, pine, and some black pepper. flavor is nice and hoppy like normal Sculpin with some citrus, pine, and some carmel malt. the heat hits you after a fee seconds and you get some nice floral flavors as well from the Habanero. Has a medium body with a oily moufeel and a dry, bitter, spicy finnish. overall, another great pepper beer that would go great with mexican food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2012
took my first sip and holy shit! The Habaneros hit the tongue but donít cause to much hotness but when it hits the throat its almost a tad bit overwhelming. Iím a totally wuss when it comes to hot stuff so this totally took me for a ride. Once again the tropical fruit goodness of regular Sculpin was kind of missing here and the pepper was just huge. Everytime I took a sip it burned a new hole in my throat. This was a total sipper. It took me a good 20 minutes to get to the middle of the glass. But when I did get to the middle of the glass it seemed like things changed. I was getting used to the pepper and the goodness of Sculpin came out more and more. I was picking up the fruits. Then it was an enjoyable brew. Donít get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole ride but the end of the trip was a little bit better then the beginning. The pepper was still there but came together nicely with everything else. By the end of the glass I felt like I accomplished something =) and I also had heartburn. The mouthfeel on this was nice. Smooth. Iím sure the cask had something to do with that. Medium bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jethrodium (364) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 24, 2012
On tap at the Public House. Pours a clear pale amber with a small tan head that has good retention and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. The aromas is grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, a hint of caramel malt, some pepper, and a grassy, vegetal note. The initial taste has a bit of sweetness with pineapple, tangerine, and some orange. The finish is pepper, grassy, and vegetal. The hops and pepper dominate any malt. The finish has a decent bitterness and a lot of pepper heat. Very spicy with the heat lingering for quite a bit. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This is a bit of a novelty, but I found it enjoyable. I certainly wouldnít recommend to someone who doesnít enjoy habaneros, but Iím glad to have been able to try it. Not as good as the regular Sculpin, but worth trying.