overall

RATINGS: 235   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2012
took my first sip and holy shit! The Habaneros hit the tongue but donít cause to much hotness but when it hits the throat its almost a tad bit overwhelming. Iím a totally wuss when it comes to hot stuff so this totally took me for a ride. Once again the tropical fruit goodness of regular Sculpin was kind of missing here and the pepper was just huge. Everytime I took a sip it burned a new hole in my throat. This was a total sipper. It took me a good 20 minutes to get to the middle of the glass. But when I did get to the middle of the glass it seemed like things changed. I was getting used to the pepper and the goodness of Sculpin came out more and more. I was picking up the fruits. Then it was an enjoyable brew. Donít get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole ride but the end of the trip was a little bit better then the beginning. The pepper was still there but came together nicely with everything else. By the end of the glass I felt like I accomplished something =) and I also had heartburn. The mouthfeel on this was nice. Smooth. Iím sure the cask had something to do with that. Medium bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
TimE (3092) - Tokyo, JAPAN - SEP 16, 2012
hugely hoppy, habenaro everywhere. Full bodied.very long lingering spiciness. Like food and beer together. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PhillyCraft (3101) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2012
On tap at PH, pours a very hazy copper orange with medium off white head, nice lacing. Aromas of hops, malt, light pepper, vanilla, orange, and pine. Taste is filled with citrus, pine, vanilla and caramel tasting malts, strong peppers. Really gives the throat and back of the mouth a tingle from the habanero. The heat continues to build in other parts of the body as you consume more. Medium to fuller bodied, well carbonated. It was nice but I couldnít take the heat by then end of the glass. Use half the amt of habanero next time and this thing would be awesome.

markwise (4424) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2012
On draft at GABF 2012. Pours a hazy orange with a white head. Nose is big caramel with some pine, citrus, and earthy peppers with hints of burn in the nose. Flavor is nice malt, big citrus, and strong earthy peppers with some burn bordering on impolite. Medium in body and an interesting twist on Sculpin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
tcane7 (1656) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 19, 2013
Sample at Khyber with Vin, Pat and Janine. Poured a clean gold with average white head and lacing. Aroma of citrus and piney hops with mild pepper aromas. Really interesting drink. Sweet malts hit you at first, then really fresh habaneros, with a slightly bitter hoppy pine and citrus finish. The pepper taste is strong but I didnít find the heat as off-putting as others. Interesting drink but I think the sample was enough for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bytemesis (2952) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 22, 2013
Tap. Pours clear amber with a large light beige head that dissipates slowly with nice lacing. Aroma is citrus, light chili, pine. Flavor is habanero dominated, some hoppy notes, lightly sweet, light bitter, medium heat. Burning finish. Interesting, but regular sculpin is so much better.

DocLock (7703) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 2, 2013
Draft at Caponeís. Did this one horizontally with the regular, and this one has an intense habanero flavor thet melds well with the crisp hoppiness and great balance, but the heat does take center stage to a degree that prevents it from exceeding Sculpin. I guess my point is this: This is a great hoppy spicy beer for hot pepper lovers, but most will prefer the Sculpin much more. Nothing against this beer, it is one of the best spicy beers I ever had, but it isnít Sculpin (and I know it isnít trying to be, and Iím fine with that).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RLiddell (44) - Valrico, Florida, USA - MAR 2, 2013
On tap at Hurricane Grill in Vero Beach. Sculpin is one of my favorite IPAís so I was expecting something special. Pepper aroma is subtle on the nose, but on the palate, WOW! I have never had a spiced beer with such a peppery finish. This wouldnít be a good beer to enjoy with hot wings, it would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Miked1687 (608) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 8, 2013
UPDATED: APR 2, 2013 On tap at pizza plant. Pours an orangey amber gold with a nice white head. Smell isn?t strong other than the hops and some sweetness. Tastes bitter hops with some syrupy sweetness. The finish heats up and gets spicy! It?s nice and unique.

cpetrone84 (1276) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2013
On tap at Hunah Day. nose is mostly straight sculpin, hop explosion with a faint spice to it. Taste is much more spicy, extremely peppery and hot in the finish with the juicy hops up front. Spice is so strong and lingers.