overall

RATINGS: 260   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HopMasterFlex (108) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAR 9, 2011
I canít believe Iím the first to rate this beer! Let me start by saying if sculpin wasnít so good plain I wouldve probably rated this higher but I feel like it ruined a wonderful beer yet still decent. It smells of pine and chili pepper. Taste is a "plain" hop drowned out by the spicy pepper. The faster you drink it the hotter it is. I drank a pint in a couple minutes and about half in two gulps. Spicy and delicious but knowing how good sculpin is regularly ruined this beer for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6603) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - APR 4, 2011
On tap at the Blind Tiger during their Captain Lawrence event. Pours a hazed gold. Heat, sweet pine and toast. Sweet and hoppy. Warm and spicy, with slow heat. Very smooth and light lingering heat on the finish. This was great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
skmikeg (902) - Poway, California, USA - NOV 7, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2012 taster at Old Grove pepper day. Pours a amber orange color with small white head. Aroma is of citrus, pine, and some black pepper. flavor is nice and hoppy like normal Sculpin with some citrus, pine, and some carmel malt. the heat hits you after a fee seconds and you get some nice floral flavors as well from the Habanero. Has a medium body with a oily moufeel and a dry, bitter, spicy finnish. overall, another great pepper beer that would go great with mexican food.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drunkenpolack (319) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2012
took my first sip and holy shit! The Habaneros hit the tongue but donít cause to much hotness but when it hits the throat its almost a tad bit overwhelming. Iím a totally wuss when it comes to hot stuff so this totally took me for a ride. Once again the tropical fruit goodness of regular Sculpin was kind of missing here and the pepper was just huge. Everytime I took a sip it burned a new hole in my throat. This was a total sipper. It took me a good 20 minutes to get to the middle of the glass. But when I did get to the middle of the glass it seemed like things changed. I was getting used to the pepper and the goodness of Sculpin came out more and more. I was picking up the fruits. Then it was an enjoyable brew. Donít get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole ride but the end of the trip was a little bit better then the beginning. The pepper was still there but came together nicely with everything else. By the end of the glass I felt like I accomplished something =) and I also had heartburn. The mouthfeel on this was nice. Smooth. Iím sure the cask had something to do with that. Medium bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jethrodium (366) - Berkeley, California, USA - FEB 24, 2012
On tap at the Public House. Pours a clear pale amber with a small tan head that has good retention and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. The aromas is grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, a hint of caramel malt, some pepper, and a grassy, vegetal note. The initial taste has a bit of sweetness with pineapple, tangerine, and some orange. The finish is pepper, grassy, and vegetal. The hops and pepper dominate any malt. The finish has a decent bitterness and a lot of pepper heat. Very spicy with the heat lingering for quite a bit. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This is a bit of a novelty, but I found it enjoyable. I certainly wouldnít recommend to someone who doesnít enjoy habaneros, but Iím glad to have been able to try it. Not as good as the regular Sculpin, but worth trying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
TimE (3191) - Tokyo, JAPAN - SEP 16, 2012
hugely hoppy, habenaro everywhere. Full bodied.very long lingering spiciness. Like food and beer together. Excellent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PhillyCraft (3231) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 1, 2012
On tap at PH, pours a very hazy copper orange with medium off white head, nice lacing. Aromas of hops, malt, light pepper, vanilla, orange, and pine. Taste is filled with citrus, pine, vanilla and caramel tasting malts, strong peppers. Really gives the throat and back of the mouth a tingle from the habanero. The heat continues to build in other parts of the body as you consume more. Medium to fuller bodied, well carbonated. It was nice but I couldnít take the heat by then end of the glass. Use half the amt of habanero next time and this thing would be awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
markwise (4467) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2012
On draft at GABF 2012. Pours a hazy orange with a white head. Nose is big caramel with some pine, citrus, and earthy peppers with hints of burn in the nose. Flavor is nice malt, big citrus, and strong earthy peppers with some burn bordering on impolite. Medium in body and an interesting twist on Sculpin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
tcane7 (1664) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 19, 2013
Sample at Khyber with Vin, Pat and Janine. Poured a clean gold with average white head and lacing. Aroma of citrus and piney hops with mild pepper aromas. Really interesting drink. Sweet malts hit you at first, then really fresh habaneros, with a slightly bitter hoppy pine and citrus finish. The pepper taste is strong but I didnít find the heat as off-putting as others. Interesting drink but I think the sample was enough for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bytemesis (3169) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 22, 2013
Tap. Pours clear amber with a large light beige head that dissipates slowly with nice lacing. Aroma is citrus, light chili, pine. Flavor is habanero dominated, some hoppy notes, lightly sweet, light bitter, medium heat. Burning finish. Interesting, but regular sculpin is so much better.