RATINGS: 548   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryecatcher (1354) - Bridgeport, Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 8, 2015
Bomber. Pours a stouty brownish-black , thick layer of espresso colored froth for a head, decent retention although not much lacing. Just gonna say this straight away before I give my rating... this smells absolutely nothing like Thai (or, more appropriately... Indian... which is why it says ’India-Style’, not ’Thai-Style’ on the freaking label. Thai Curry and much of the curries in India are very different, just putting my culinary two-cents in there for the guy who obviously wouldn’t know galangal from ginger from turmeric if I lined up the three roots in front of him. Sorry, pet peave). But I digress ... so yeah, nose is brown sugar, some vanilla, chiles, cocoa. Mouth is slick and oily, surprisingly quite dry, mild bitter and roasted, earthiness, a hint of cumin, ginger, coconut, tartness from the lime, very mild heat, some bakers chocolate and dark roasted coffee. I’m skeptical of a lot of these chili infused stouts and this one was no exception, but I trust the brewery so figured I’d give it a shot. Glad I did, as this exceeded my expectations. Namaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Atom (2168) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2015
On tap at busters pours a dark brown/black with a medium ran head. Lots of curry in the aroma, cumin, Chocolate, with some coconut and lime. Big time curry flavor, sweetness from coconut, cumin, cayenne heat, and lime on the aftertaste. Lots of flavors going on, if this were some kind of chicken dish and not a beer I’d be all about it. As a beer its interesting, but I can’t drink a lot of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ajnepple (5204) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 3, 2015
22 oz bottle from Tipsy’s. Black appearance with a light brown head that fully dissipates eventually. Spicy aroma with notes of curry, cayenne pepper, roast, coconut, toasted malts and light herbs. Flavor is moderately spicy with a lingering peppery finish. I enjoy the cayenne and coconut flavor with a stout but the cumin and curry could be toned down a little bit. Still, somewhat fun and enjoyable to drink.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Christpuncher (2829) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 1, 2015
The curry and red pepper really stand out on this one. Slightly spivey and roasted malt finish. Smells like curry and pours black with a thick tan head. Had out of a bomber at home. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AWISLguy (2589) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 30, 2015
On tap from Champps Americana in Brookfield. Dark brown pour with a bit of a head. Nose has multiple layers of spices, some chocolate and then some fruit. Taste is sweet malts, multiple spices, a nice chocolate presence, and some tangy-ness. Medium to full bodied and very interesting. Finishes tangy spicy with some bitterness and some sweetness. Quite enjoyable!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
GriffDaddy (112) - - MAR 28, 2015
To be clear, my wife brought this home. Near black pour with a thin, brief tan head. Aroma of... WOW! I’M DRINKING A THAI CURRY!!! Heavy cumin and coconut, something sweet. Powerful blast of sweaty cumin, lots of coconut and something citrus maybe in the background. All in a sweet, dark stout. Very, very heavily flavored beer. Surprisingly, tastes exactly as described on the bottle. This is something I would expect to find on a tour of Willy Wonka’s factory - Thai takeout dinner in a beer! But not in a good way. This was just way too much of everything for me and I did not finish. The pepper burn down the throat was good but that’s the only nice thing I can say.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ARH (1118) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2015
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2016 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Cumin is the dominant aroma with secondary notes of cayenne, chocolate, and a light lime. Background aromas include coconut, and later, lime and coconut strengthen to be on par with the cumin, and a subtle brown sugar note enters at the tail end. It?s a deep, dark orange brown hue with carbonation bubbles appearing on the glass. The head is brown and lightly frothy; it disappears by the end, leaving only a light, dense ring of retenrion, and a light, splotchy and messy lace. The taste is a medium high sweet, medium bitter, and medium mild pungent spice - as another review put it, like a balanced Indian dish (although liking spicy foods, I?d say mild / Americanized dish). The beer is oily and slick with a fuzzy carbonation and a medium body. Flavors of cumin and cola are strong, with a nutiness and chocolate touch. The finish has some cayenne heat and a dark chocolate cloyingness which spills into the dry, light aftertaste that leaves behind flavors of cumin, lime, and a strong earthy, woody grit. The pungency is notable, but has a nice, mild swell. Extra points for uniqueness without overdoing it; it?s not an everyday, go-to beer, but pulled off better than other cayenne-infused beers I?ve had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
That1Guy (2192) - Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2015
22 oz bomber with a 15048 date code. Pours pitch black with a surprisingly good, fluffy tan head. Wow. Never had a beer like this one before. Very spiced but not so overwhelming that I still feel like I’m drinking beer. The curry and the cumin are very apparent on the nose. Flavor is like a very balanced Indian dish. A bit of heat from the spice. Subtle and tasty. Don’t know if I want to drink this whole bomber by myself, but I made this decision and have to stick with it. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beertholomeus (1723) - California, USA - MAR 23, 2015
Pours black with a fizzy tan head. Curry, coconut, pepper, spice and malt aroma. Chocolate, pepper, coconut, curry, lime, spice and roasted malt flavors. Medium full body and moderate carbonation. Pepper, chocolate and coconut finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
obguthr (5699) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - MAR 22, 2015
Pronounced aroma of pencil shavings, light curry accents. Mahogany, medium beige head. Curry is more noticeable on the palate. Charred oak and pencil shavings are dominant however. Medium body, moderate carboantion. Many of the spices listed on the label, of which I’m familiar, are not detected in the beer. I don’t think that’s a bad thing as I’m not sure they would enhance it very much. The curry is a nice touch and makes for a unique experience.