overall

RATINGS: 343   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellarís 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopman1 (30) - apple valley, California, USA - FEB 22, 2014
Awesome!!! This brew is something way out of the spectrum of beers for me, I have never tasted a beer so original distinct and totally creative. In this beer there is so much going on my taste buds are going crazy. I will make this clear ďYou must like Indian spices". This brew is dark root beer brown with no head or foam once poured. Looking at the bottom of my glass yellow sediment gathered at the base, looks like gold dust. The nose is amazing notes of pepper, black cardamom, red pepper, cumin, Indian bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, Ginger. The Flavor of India in a glass truly amazing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
xBEERxNOLA (71) - - FEB 22, 2014
Appearance - dark pour but not totally black. Mild head. Aroma - brighter than expected. Slightly sweet. When it warms I get a huge hit of curry. Mouth - medium carb. Taste - whoa different. Hints of curry at the finish if you are looking for it. Don't detect much pepper. Overall - just weird. Not sure how I feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nearbeer (3584) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 18, 2014
650 ml. Pours chocolate with a head that mostly sizzles away. Nose is chocolate, cumin, espresso, pepper, coconut and cinnamon. Taste is vanilla, chocolate toffee, some coconut, and lots of cumin and pepper. Maybe some other spices that get mostly lost in the cumin and pepper. Medium body is too fizzy, but has a nice balance of the malty sweetness, roast and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerfest5 (1127) - Dublin, IRELAND - FEB 10, 2014
Iím sure that my palate was not ready for something like this. When I purchased the bottle I thought this was going to be something like a big rich stout combined with a little Indian pepper or something. This was more like a curry dinner with a little stout added in. Extremely interesting, I applaud Ballast Point for thinking outside of the box clearly, but enjoyable in truth, no.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mikesaum (596) - Newark, Ohio, USA - FEB 9, 2014
Pours dark dark brown with a khaki head. Aroma is..... Iím not really sure, i just know its not that appealing, a very odd aroma. Taste is better, slightly roasty, vegetal, herbal, tingly heat on the tongue and in the back of the throat. Not horrible, its interesting but its just not my cup of tea, plus the aroma was off putting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Huhzubendah (2399) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I donít see myself returning to this one, as I donít find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
erickok (3411) - Tours (and Paris), FRANCE - FEB 5, 2014
Black bodied, instable tan head. Clear coconut, very interesting! Fatty feel from this, cacao, bit of humous, bit resin. Oh and coconut. Bounty candy bar! Spice is certainly there too. Taste is dominated by the Chili, which provides a real kick. I never like that, ever, except this is probably the first time I do enjoy it! It is really warming in the end, giving a glowing throat. After half a bottle it became a bit much though, admittedly. Had a hard time finishing the bomber. Also, it disturbs the finish, doing away with the inherit nice character if spices and dark malts. Not sure I would pick this up again. (Bottle from Whip In Austin)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2321) - California, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Black pour, small tan head, minimal lace/retention. Aroma is complex with notes of chocolate, various spices (read - curry and pepper, *not* coriander etc) light roast, caramel. Medium bodied, pretty good balance of spicy heat. Straightforward malt structure lacks some complexity but itís fairly well balanced with the spicing. Anything more would probably lean towards unpleasant unless it was a bigger and/or more complex beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
redtechnj (200) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Appearance- Dark brown with a medium kahki head. nice lacing. Aroma-Curry, cumin,peppercorn,roasted malt. Major spices. Flavor- Curry.....Curry...and more curry. Indian spice overload. It actually leaves a burning sensation in my mouth and Iím no light weight when it comes to hot stuff, I make my own tobasco hot sauce. Very interesting idea for a beer but not good in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
UDBeernut (1592) - Near Buffalo, New York, USA - JAN 18, 2014
bottle from daniel719,pours black, thin tan head. curry, onions, coconut in the nose. solid hot pepper taste, bitterness. roasted malts phase in and out. hot sauce burn.I still donít know how to take pepper beers. Hopefully its a fad.