overall

RATINGS: 358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jrob21 (2561) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 6, 2014
Bomber. Relatively new addition to the Georgia scene. It is starting to look like San Diego every time I walk into the beer store now. Not too bad. This is definitely spice with the cayenne pepper dominating most everything. Not a bad thing, just why’d you add all that curry and everything else in there. I take that back. You get some curry and more coconut in the aroma. The stout gives this is a nice base beer to bounce off all these spices. A one time thing for me on this one but it is an interesting drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
OPIE788 (336) - Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2014
Draft. Black with a weak light tan head. Sweet, coffee wood aroma. Slight wood, coffee and a spicy finish. The spice lasts for a while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
malrubius (1713) - Springfield, Vermont, USA - MAR 1, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2014 Bottle from Save On. Black with fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly into ring and lace. Chocolate spiced espresso cayenne curry and woody aroma. Coffee chocolate curry spice vanilla with spicy lingering throat burn. Medium full body. My throat is burning. Reminds me why I so rarely purchase crazy flavored beers. Ultimately a $9 drain pour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cybercat (3331) - Georgia, USA - FEB 27, 2014
Pours a rich, warm sable with a rather thick and somewhat persistent light tan head. Aroma has a roast malt core that supports coconut, curry, and a hint of coffee. Flavor has typical roast malt of a stout, with a strong coconut note and a firm pepper bite that is a bit much for a beer but not unbearable - at least they didn’t pepper it to death. Still, this is a beer to be sipped slowly, preferably with a meal. Texture is firm but not too fizzy, and pepper is a mite strong in the finish. I like curry, but on my plate rather than in my beer; nevertheless, this is a worthwhile effort.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pfc514 (64) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - FEB 26, 2014
Pours completely black with a light beige head in a snifter. Really interesting aroma with curry being dominant. Invokes a curiosity as to what the taste is gonna be like. Curry is really dominant in the flavor. Gives a spice to the beer and coconut follows through as well. Spicy and unique, yet not bad. One could look at these flavors and think this beer would taste awful, yet this is not the case. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Not outstanding, but above average. I wouldn’t drink this beer all the time, but I’m shocked they made all these flavors a drinkable beer..and it’s considerably way more than just drinkable. Unique, balanced, and tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hopman1 (32) - apple valley, California, USA - FEB 22, 2014
Awesome!!! This brew is something way out of the spectrum of beers for me, I have never tasted a beer so original distinct and totally creative. In this beer there is so much going on my taste buds are going crazy. I will make this clear “You must like Indian spices". This brew is dark root beer brown with no head or foam once poured. Looking at the bottom of my glass yellow sediment gathered at the base, looks like gold dust. The nose is amazing notes of pepper, black cardamom, red pepper, cumin, Indian bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, Ginger. The Flavor of India in a glass truly amazing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
xBEERxNOLA (71) - - FEB 22, 2014
Appearance - dark pour but not totally black. Mild head. Aroma - brighter than expected. Slightly sweet. When it warms I get a huge hit of curry. Mouth - medium carb. Taste - whoa different. Hints of curry at the finish if you are looking for it. Don't detect much pepper. Overall - just weird. Not sure how I feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
nearbeer (3729) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 18, 2014
650 ml. Pours chocolate with a head that mostly sizzles away. Nose is chocolate, cumin, espresso, pepper, coconut and cinnamon. Taste is vanilla, chocolate toffee, some coconut, and lots of cumin and pepper. Maybe some other spices that get mostly lost in the cumin and pepper. Medium body is too fizzy, but has a nice balance of the malty sweetness, roast and spices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerfest5 (1147) - Dublin, IRELAND - FEB 10, 2014
I’m sure that my palate was not ready for something like this. When I purchased the bottle I thought this was going to be something like a big rich stout combined with a little Indian pepper or something. This was more like a curry dinner with a little stout added in. Extremely interesting, I applaud Ballast Point for thinking outside of the box clearly, but enjoyable in truth, no.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mikesaum (596) - Newark, Ohio, USA - FEB 9, 2014
Pours dark dark brown with a khaki head. Aroma is..... I’m not really sure, i just know its not that appealing, a very odd aroma. Taste is better, slightly roasty, vegetal, herbal, tingly heat on the tongue and in the back of the throat. Not horrible, its interesting but its just not my cup of tea, plus the aroma was off putting.